Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT preparation without math knowledge + GRE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT preparation without math knowledge + GRE [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 05:28
I've been seeking within forum about starting the GMAT with very limited mathematical knowledge. I did a technical concentration at high school +- 4/5 years ago with mediocre results. In contrast to a very, very high outcome on an IQ test I recently took, I might have dyscalculia. Very frustrating. (great (creative, especially with problem solving) abilities in other areas though!). I hope someone is able to guide me with the following. Started last year, but experiencing heavy procrastination.

Planning to take both GRE as GMAT this fall and I'm starting as of today with a fresh, new motivation to aim for a 640-690.

Planned test date GMAT: October 2011 (most important)
Planned test date GRE: September 2011 (secondary for a preference program)

Current books for the Math basics:
- Kaplan GMAT Math Workbook
- Manhattan GMAT Foundations of GMAT Math

Which strategy is wise to follow in this case, especially with understanding the 'why' within GMAT math with limited math knowledge? I have a pretty hard time with the math basics, but it is extremely easy to find relations outside calculations (patterns and such). Probably the most difficult part will be to get used to the basics of both the GMAT as GRE.

Thank you in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT preparation without math knowledge + GRE [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 06:39
Be careful of believing that the quantitative section of the GRE is similar to that of the GMAT.
The GMAT has Data Sufficiency questions that don't appear in the GRE.
Also, I would try to be focused on only one exam. You must know that there are some business schools which accept the GRE and there are other no business schools that accept the GMAT. It would be ideal that you write to them about this issue.

Good luck!

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: GMAT preparation without math knowledge + GRE   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2011, 06:39