Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 16:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Score

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2004
Posts: 87
Location: Valsad
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2004, 21:42
i took the GMAT on July 30. I got: -

Q-48 and V-28 - total 620.

I want to pursue the 11 month MBA full time. I also need financial need, tution fee waivers,etc. Can you suggest me the universities that mos likely meet the criteria?
_________________

Mayur

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Posts: 3281
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2004, 08:12
Hi,

Are you interested in schools in the US alone or around the world?

What type of undergrad degree do you hold? When did you receive it?

Hjort
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2004
Posts: 87
Location: Valsad
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2004, 19:21
Hjort wrote:
Hi,

Are you interested in schools in the US alone or around the world?

What type of undergrad degree do you hold? When did you receive it?

Hjort

Thanks for your response.
I am interested in the US schools. I am an Indian. I am a Chartered Accountant and a Cost Accountant with 7 years experience in Cost Accounting, MIS, Budgetary Control and Managerment Accounting. I graduated in April 1990 in Bachelor of Science - Math, Physics and Chemistry(Common Core - all 3 majors).
_________________

Mayur

CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Posts: 3281
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2004, 11:27
Hi,

No exact matches come to mind but you might consider the following schools.

Emory

"Goizueta Business School's One Year MBA Program is an accelerated three (3) semester MBA degree program which begins in mid-May of each year. Applicants who hold Master's degrees in Finance, International Business, Management or related subjects are encouraged to apply to the One Year MBA program; these candidates would also be eligible to apply to the Two Year MBA. In addition, Chartered Accountants and Chartered Financial Analysts may meet the eligibility requirements of this accelerated MBA program. "

Pittsburgh (Katz)

"Scholarship money is available for both domestic and international full-time students. Scholarships are based primarily on merit; therefore, no additional application is required for consideration. Scholarships available through The Katz School range from $3,000 to full tuition, with the average award being $8,000–$10,000. Approximately one-third of our current MBA class has received scholarship funds."

"Applicants who have completed a three-year bachelor's degree (arts, commerce, science) should also have completed the two-year master's degree from a recognized university in India prior to submitting an application to be considered for admission. Applicants with the four-year Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Technology are eligible to apply for admission. Applicants with Associate Membership in the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India or the Institute of Cost and Works Accountants of India are eligible to apply for admission."

Case Western and Notre Dame also have accelerated programs but check the undergrad degree requirements

Hjort
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4835
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2004, 15:56
Expert's post
Mayur wrote:
i took the GMAT on July 30. I got: -

Q-48 and V-28 - total 620.

I want to pursue the 11 month MBA full time. I also need financial need, tution fee waivers,etc. Can you suggest me the universities that mos likely meet the criteria?


Check out the University of Floriday and U of Georgia Terry MBA programs. You probably will need to work on your GMAT verbal score. There are more one-year options in Europe.

Good luck!
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2004
Posts: 87
Location: Valsad
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2004, 18:45
Accepted.com wrote:
Mayur wrote:
i took the GMAT on July 30. I got: -

Q-48 and V-28 - total 620.

I want to pursue the 11 month MBA full time. I also need financial need, tution fee waivers,etc. Can you suggest me the universities that mos likely meet the criteria?


Check out the University of Floriday and U of Georgia Terry MBA programs. You probably will need to work on your GMAT verbal score. There are more one-year options in Europe.

Good luck!


Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean to say that, to improve my verbal score, I need to retake the GMAT for University of Georgia and Terry MBA? I already sent the scores to Terry at the time of taking the test.
_________________

Mayur

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4835
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2004, 14:54
Expert's post
Mayur wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
Mayur wrote:
i took the GMAT on July 30. I got: -

Q-48 and V-28 - total 620.

I want to pursue the 11 month MBA full time. I also need financial need, tution fee waivers,etc. Can you suggest me the universities that mos likely meet the criteria?


Check out the University of Floriday and U of Georgia Terry MBA programs. You probably will need to work on your GMAT verbal score. There are more one-year options in Europe.

Good luck!



Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean to say that, to improve my verbal score, I need to retake the GMAT for University of Georgia and Terry MBA? I already sent the scores to Terry at the time of taking the test.


I mean that your verbal score may hurt your chances of acceptance at Terry and Florida. To improve those chances, you need to raise your verbal score by retaking the GMAT. If you already submitted the old score, you can just instruct GMAC to forward the new score. If it goes up, self -report the new score.

Good luck!
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2004
Posts: 87
Location: Valsad
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2004, 18:51
Accepted.com wrote:
Mayur wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
Mayur wrote:
i took the GMAT on July 30. I got: -

Q-48 and V-28 - total 620.

I want to pursue the 11 month MBA full time. I also need financial need, tution fee waivers,etc. Can you suggest me the universities that mos likely meet the criteria?


Check out the University of Floriday and U of Georgia Terry MBA programs. You probably will need to work on your GMAT verbal score. There are more one-year options in Europe.

Good luck!



Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean to say that, to improve my verbal score, I need to retake the GMAT for University of Georgia and Terry MBA? I already sent the scores to Terry at the time of taking the test.


I mean that your verbal score may hurt your chances of acceptance at Terry and Florida. To improve those chances, you need to raise your verbal score by retaking the GMAT. If you already submitted the old score, you can just instruct GMAC to forward the new score. If it goes up, self -report the new score.

Good luck!



Thanks for your suggestion. If I decide to retake GMAT, what is the last date by which I can take. I need considerable time, say 2 months to prepare, as I am busy with my office work. Please advice me asap.
_________________

Mayur

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4835
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2004, 21:48
Expert's post
Quote:

Thanks for your suggestion. If I decide to retake GMAT, what is the last date by which I can take. I need considerable time, say 2 months to prepare, as I am busy with my office work. Please advice me asap.


MOst schools allow you to self-report your GMAT score at the time you apply before a deadline and then let the official score come in after the deadline. But you should check with the schools that you are applying to to be sure.

Good luck!
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2004
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

680 (QA 50 ; VA31) [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2004, 06:57
Hi
I am pretty much in a similar predicament. 680 (QA 50 ; VA31)I have posted my score in "Share your experience" will repeat the same here also.

I took GMAT today and feeling quite low with the pathetic score.

Essays were fine or rather I was just preared for them. had a standardised template for both AWA essays.
Quant was very strong for me, and has been reflected on the score. Got standard deviation, probablity, combination.

But Verbal really spoiled the day. My Verbal was extremely weak. I had tried a lot of techniques but the only thing I was comfortable with was SC. Got 5 RC passages. One towards the end. I was also running behind time.
Took about 23 minutes for first 10-11 questions. Had to rush through last few questions.

My KPLAN scores are as follows :
KP1 : 610
KP2 : 690
KP3 : 640
KP3 : 620
With 50 in QA on each test above. and 30-38 on VA

Wanted 700+ and i am really disappointed. I know GMAT is one of the 6 criteria used to evaluate a student but then my other areas do not seem to be as strong.

Can you please tell me what are my chances of making it to top 15 schools in US? Aslo whether a huge gap in VA and QA scores will reflect negatively on me?

Background:

A. I am 22 year old (female) from India with just about >1 year of work ex (would be 2 by the time I join) with an MNC (US based). I have got a few good projects that will show favourably on my profile. I have no experience in leadership, I have got 2 opportunities to train.

B. I have no exposure in community development but can definitely do a project for an NGO before sending my applications. How useful will this be? Or does the time spend with an NGO matters (I would have essentially worked 2-3 months before applying to schools)

C. I have a good CGPA at my graduation.

4. Extracurricular activities - debating. Though nothing to show on national/international level. Most of it was limited to school and college. My performance appraisal at work though recognises my good communication skills and have been rated highly on it.

Doesn't sound very convincing I know....but if I am not getting top 15 US schools I might as well apply to Singapore (NUS) or elsewhere. Any take on that?

LINDA, Pls help
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4835
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2004, 10:56
Expert's post
Quote:
Can you please tell me what are my chances of making it to top 15 schools in US? Aslo whether a huge gap in VA and QA scores will reflect negatively on me?

Background:

A. I am 22 year old (female) from India with just about >1 year of work ex (would be 2 by the time I join) with an MNC (US based). I have got a few good projects that will show favourably on my profile. I have no experience in leadership, I have got 2 opportunities to train.

B. I have no exposure in community development but can definitely do a project for an NGO before sending my applications. How useful will this be? Or does the time spend with an NGO matters (I would have essentially worked 2-3 months before applying to schools)

C. I have a good CGPA at my graduation.

4. Extracurricular activities - debating. Though nothing to show on national/international level. Most of it was limited to school and college. My performance appraisal at work though recognises my good communication skills and have been rated highly on it.

Doesn't sound very convincing I know....but if I am not getting top 15 US schools I might as well apply to Singapore (NUS) or elsewhere. Any take on that?

LINDA, Pls help


To answer your questions

You still have a chance for the schools in the bottom half of the top fifteen. Look for those schools with younger ages and shorter levels of experience. Your chances would improve markedly if you raise your verbal score and/or work for an additional year and develop more community service.

Yes, working for an NGO will help you and I encourage you to do so.

I don't know much about the Asian schools, but if it supports your goals, then go for it. For American schools, you would be wise to work for at least one more year before applying. In that time you can move up at work, volunteer, and improve your English so that your verbal score will go up. Then your chances in the top fifteen would be much better.

Good luck!
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2004
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Thanks [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2004, 10:25
Thanks a lot. your help is much appreciated
i think i need to do a lot before I dream big....
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Posts: 3281
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2004, 14:24
Greetings,

I agree with Linda that additional experience or a higher verbal score would be helpful.

There are a number of schools that encourage applications from young applicants but the relationship between prestige and work experience is far from linear. Indeed, the ultra elite schools such as Harvard, Chicago, and Stanford tend to encourage applications from young applicants while many of the other elite schools discouage them. Just to make matters more complicated, trans elite schools such as Carnegie Mellon view younger applicants as adding to the diversity of the schools while many Near Elite schools have an express or implied experience requirement. Nonetheless, the ultra elite schools would probably require higher compensating creditials than those reported in your posting.


Contrast Stanford:

"We encourage college seniors to consider applying to the MBA Program. We accept entering students with all types of experience as well as students who enroll directly from an undergraduate program with no full-time work experience. Admission may be granted to college seniors who present superior academic credentials and truly outstanding evidence of leadership through extracurricular and community activities. Full-time work experience is not required for admission."

with Arizona State:

"The faculty of the program now requires all W. P. Carey MBA applicants to have a minimum of two years full-time work experience."

and Iowa:

"Professional work experience is required. A minimum of two years of full-time work experience after completion of the bachelor's degree is recommended."

I would consider Trans Elite schools as well. Another great school to consider with relatively low experience is Carnegie Mellon:

"Do you have to have post-undergraduate work experience?

No, post-undergraduate work experience is not a prerequisite for admission. We seek diversity in all dimensions, including from 'candidates without any post-undergraduate work experience' to 'candidates with 8 or more years of work experience.'"

Hjort
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
GMAT Scores sm176811 2 07 Nov 2006, 02:17
Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT score. kinka 1 04 Oct 2006, 18:35
GMAT SCORE MA466 3 26 Jul 2006, 05:13
Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Score Amar1234 1 21 Mar 2005, 18:29
GMAt Scores Rupal 4 22 Nov 2004, 08:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Score

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.