Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 07:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT second attempt - please help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT second attempt - please help [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2006, 08:49
Hi
I just gave my GMAT this weekend and the score was a dismal 610 Q42 V 32 !!!
When I saw the result screen I completely froze - this was the lowest EVER i got in any of my practice tests. I did Princeton Review( 650,680,650) , Kaplan ( lowest was 640 ) and then 1 week before the examp I took the two tests available on the gmac site ( 710 ,700 ). These seemesed so much easier than any of the material I had studied from - and then on the dreaded day - during Quantitative I go stuck on the 3rd or the 4th problem - questions like 3305 when multiplied by x results ina number with hundreth's digit as Y. Which of the following set represents X & Y. Easy question but it took me some time to discard the choices . Then another question similar to this - All this left me with 4 mins to complete 8 questions and so I had to guess on the last 5 questions. That brought my Q score.
What I was surprised about was my verbal score - I paced my self fine during verbal ( took a 4 mins break - id advise others to take it - to clear ur mind ) and had 1 min remaining after i finished my last question - My low score could be CR or maybe one RC.
One BIG factor could be my nervousness - i did not sleep the night before and was a little bit off my peak when I started the test at 1:00 PM. So for next time I plan to rest better - any recommendations here ?
I spent the whole sunday thinking about what to do next and have not been able to reconcile with the fact that I got 610. Dejected and dissappointed - but after reading comments from some folks here - I think I can go for another attempt.
But this time I need some help on choosing what material to go thru - from the posts here Im thinking of getting
MGMAT & the gmatclub challenge .
Whats the best guide for verbal ?
Is verbal included in the GMAT challenge?

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2006, 09:01
You're fine, just get some sleep! Of course you aren't going to perform very well if you stay up the whole night before. Maybe try something like Nyquil to help you get to bed on time.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2006, 09:04
Thanks for the words of encouragement and I agree not sleeping is probably the big reason - but can u tell me if which practice tests to use to help me prepare better for the next attemp?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2006, 11:35
Take Nyquill or an Ambien if you can get one from a doctor
The bad thing is I had sleep medication and couldn't sleep because I couldn't find my photo ID. I then called my mom at 1 AM to ask her to come over my place to look for it..I have ADHD and sometimes I miss things that are out in the open:) She then told me at 1am that she had my photo ID and it was in her purse. If I had only known earlier it was there I could have taken my sleep medicine, but since it was so late, I couldn't take the strong stuff, Ambien. I had to go with a generic sleep medicine and wasn't able to sleep as well.

I think that really affected me during the quant section because I was so tired at the beginning.:( I woke up for a tiny bit and then had to pee and was tired during the verbal section so my mind wasn't all there.

I am actually going to take my sleep medicine for two nights in a row before I take my test to make sure I am well rested. I think if I do that I can break 700.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2006, 17:56
jamesrwrightiii wrote:
Take Nyquill or an Ambien if you can get one from a doctor
The bad thing is I had sleep medication and couldn't sleep because I couldn't find my photo ID. I then called my mom at 1 AM to ask her to come over my place to look for it..I have ADHD and sometimes I miss things that are out in the open:) She then told me at 1am that she had my photo ID and it was in her purse. If I had only known earlier it was there I could have taken my sleep medicine, but since it was so late, I couldn't take the strong stuff, Ambien. I had to go with a generic sleep medicine and wasn't able to sleep as well.

I think that really affected me during the quant section because I was so tired at the beginning.:( I woke up for a tiny bit and then had to pee and was tired during the verbal section so my mind wasn't all there.

I am actually going to take my sleep medicine for two nights in a row before I take my test to make sure I am well rested. I think if I do that I can break 700.

This is true for spasmotic chronic insomniacs like myself. I have tried hypnosis, meditation, even :banana before sleeping the night before an important meeting, etc. and nothing seemed to work. So I met with a doctor and he suggested Ambien 5mg. There are four versions available now: 5mg, 10mg, 12.5mg and 10mg (slow release). If you just need help falling asleep the former works best. If you find yourself waking up in the middle of the night, then the latter will keep you dreaming until the alarm clock goes off. Ambien is reputed to be the best (cleanest with least amount of side effects) on the market. Nevertheless, this should only be a contingency option if all else fails and you CANNOT sleep the night before the exam. I had the exact same experience the last time taking the GMAT and scored an even more pathetic 590. No matter what it takes, I WILL get a good night`s rest this time around.

Reschedule the test 30 days from now and you should be fine.
  [#permalink] 14 Aug 2006, 17:56