Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2015, 17:23
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gmat study plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Gmat study plan [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 14:28
Hey guys Im looking for advice in regards to my study plan for the Gmat. I have a math background and I'm looking to get into the University of Alabama's MSF program. I really want a competitive score to make up for my average math undergrad gpa[2.9]. I've taken the Finance/Econ grad pre-reqs at bama (aced them all) and all I need a score that'll get me in. I've taken 4 practice test:

GmatPrep1: 490, Q-29 V-27
Kaplan (free test): 550, Q-34 V-33
MGMAT1: 520, Q-41 V-21
MGMAT2: 510, Q-32 V-28

As you can see my scores are low and vary vastly. Im aiming for a 700, I know my weakness is Verbal and my low Quan score is due to extreme sloppiness/forgetting math that I know while testing. I've been taking a practice test every weekend in between studying(for the last 4 weeks) and Im wondering if thats the best idea? Should I try finishing a few of my MGMAT/OG books first then test or is continuing like this appropriate. I would love to get a 700 score. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Venchman on 28 Dec 2010, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Gmat study plan [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 15:39
Welcome to the club. I'm also a fairly new member on this forum but so far this forum has helped me a lot in terms of preparing for GMAT. Look around the forum and you will find many resources. Most importantly, the club members are extremely helpful. If you have any question, don't be afraid to ask on this forum.

As on how I prepare for the test, since Verbal is my weakness, that is the section that I began my study. I had further divided the verbal section into three parts consisted of CR, RC, and SC. From that, I decided to first focus on CR since I had the most problems doing those kind of questions. I'm taking one step at a time and try to learn all the fundamentals from the guide books before I do any questions. Reading the guide books and take notes will teach you how to approach the problems. This has help me improve my accuracy toward the questions.
Intern
Intern

Re: Gmat study plan [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 16:40
Thanks, my verbal problems are mostly with SC & RC. I've made my study guide and book[MGMAT series, OG, Kaplan Verbal] purchases from suggestions on this site. I feel as though when I finish all these books I should have a very solid foundation. However, Im not sure if these scores are to be expected until I finish these books. If so then this approach is fine, if not then should I stop the weekly testing and just read/practice til I'm done?
Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 35

Premium Member
Re: Gmat study plan [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 23:48
Firstly, you forgot to mention when do you plan to take the exam ?Because going by your scores, you may need to improve substantially to be around the 700 mark.

1. Do the concepts well and then do sufficient number of practice problems from a particular concept type.
2.No point in taking the tests at the moment and your stagnant score very much show why ?
3. Write down a plan for yourself which will act as the guiding force for you.
4. Maintain an error log. I cannot overemphasize the importance of this

Since,as you said that you are good at Maths and just need to brush up,here are some of the recommendations for Verbal
SC : MGMAT SC Guide, Aristotle SC Grail
I think after going through both the books ,you should be good at SC
CR : Powerscore CR Bible. Better than MGMAT CR Guide
RC : RC99. A fantastic book with 99 passages on the GMAT pattern.
Apart from this, practice all the questions in the OG12 ,and if time permits in the previous OG editions,from each of the areas
I think by following a disciplined approach, you should be able to improve
Intern
Intern

Re: Gmat study plan [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 10:19
My plan is to take the test 2/21 depending on how confident I feel with my prep at that point. Also 2/21 would be an off day at the school that I teach/tutor at. If need be I'm willing to push to say the first week of April but that would be the very latest. I have OG11, I've read here that its basically the same as OG12. Would OG12 be a good investment as well? Thanks for the suggestion on additional Verbal text. Will definitely look to purchase these as additional sources.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: AS - Gold, HH-Diamond
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 2848

Kudos [?]: 14504 [0], given: 3904

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Gmat study plan [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 13:19
Expert's post
Also for your reference: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html?highlight=ml303

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Re: Gmat study plan [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 14:40
So after finishing the all but one of the MGMAT strategy guides, RC, here's an update of my progress thus far on practice test. I have yet to finish all the OG11 questions as well as start RC questions. With that in mind here you go.

1. GMATPrep1: 490, Q(29) V(27)
2. Kaplan: 550, Q(34) V(33) 12/11/10
3. MGMAT1: 520, Q(41) V(21) 12/22/10
4. MGMAT2: 510, Q(32) V(28) 12/26/11
5. Princeton Review: 470, Q(34) V(22) 4/3/11
6. MGMAT3: 550, Q(37) V(29) 4/11/11
7. MGMAT4: 580, Q(44) V(26) 4/20/11

As you can see I received my best CAT score today as well as best math score but my Verbal numbers remain abysmal. Any suggestions as to how I can improve on RC by Monday 4/25 (official test date) as well as SC? My scores on CR are great, its just SC and RC that are killing me in Verbal. Im 100pts off where I would love to be and its extremely frustrating... Thanks for all the help
Re: Gmat study plan   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2011, 14:40