Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 23:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Strategy Help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Study Strategy Help [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2008, 18:55
Hi Everyone,

So I've finally started to seriously study for the GMAT , but am not able to formulate a proper study strategy. It feels as if the more I try the more I feel lost and overwhelmed. Hence, I felt I'd post here and see what you all have to suggest.

Some facts:
- I plan to give the GMAT in April/May, so I have some time to study.
- I plan to study 1-2 hours on weekdays and 5 hours on each weekend-day.
- I have the following books to study: Kaplan Comprehensive, Kaplan Premier, Barrons, OG 11 (all three). I can get more if required (eg: Kaplan 800, Manhattan SC?).
- My math is slightly rusty, but not horrible. My english is fluent and I'm not bad at grammar. But I might need some work in both areas.

My high level study plan (I've come up with this after reading numerous strategies on the web):

1) Start with Kaplan comprehensive. For each GMAT section in the book, study the strategy outlined in the Kaplan Comprehensive and make notes (how?). Then do all the questions (50 questions) in that book, for that section. Complete all sections this way. This should give me a basic idea of what each section is like and also tell me where I made most mistakes (so I know which section I need to tackle first).

As I do the questions, I plan to make elaborate recordings of my answers in an excel sheet to make sure I can redo the ones that were hard/tricky/incorrect.

2) Once the Kaplan Comprehensive is done, I will have an outline of which section I am most weak in. Pick that section and do problems from OG and Kaplan premier.

Each problem solving session is to have ~40 questions only, timed. Use excel to record answers.

As I pick each new book to do more questions, I will still go through the strategy in that book to see if there are new tips I can pick up.

3) Once the above books are done, redo only the questions that I found hard, tricky, got wrong.

4) As I finish a section, do at least 5-10 problems of previously completed sections.

5) Get familiar with AWA on weekends.

6) I'm reading a book called Painless Grammar to improve/brush up my english grammar skills.

At a high level I'm more or less happy with the above approach. However, I have a few questions/concerns:

1) What kind of strategy do you follow to study? I read a lot about people solving problems but very little on how you prepare to study the strategies for each section. A little light on this would be wonderful.

2) What do you do to get a good grip on math concepts? I could solve problems, but there is no point in trying to solve problems where my concepts are missing? When I read the concepts of permutation/combinations (for example) it seems so simple. Yet, when I encounter a problem in the GMAT books, it seems so confusing.

Is there any book that covers GMAT match comprehensively?

4) How do you take notes for strategy for each section?

5) Any other study suggestions?

Thank you very much.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Study Strategy Help   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2008, 18:55