Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT & the application process

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT & the application process [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2004, 09:09
Well, my Quant. scores on my practice tests have been horrible so far & am wondering how important the Quant. score is by itself for a school that is not in the top 10 since I don't intend to apply to any of those schools. I've read that for some top 10 schools you should be in the 80% percentile. My scores are in the 60% percentile right now and I always score below my level on timed multiple choice tests (as I did on the SAT). Is there any other way to show the schools that I'm really not weak in math? I'm not on the level as some on the boards here but I was always good at math in school, just not speed math.

I'm frustrated that my quant. skllls may be decided from 37 questions & 75 minutes. I am targeting schools in the top 30 in the U.S. for a marketing MBA.

I want to take the actual GMAT and start the application process so I can apply in the 1st or 2nd round at the latest but I'm worried about the math score. I am working fulltime & may be taking Accounting and a finance class this fall to brush up on those subjects.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2004, 14:52
Hi,

First, the 60th percentile is not horrible. It is merely a starting point.

How have you performed in quant-intensive classes in college? This is one method of showing that you are likely to have strong performance in business school.

There are two additional ways you can demonstrate high quant skills

1) Take additional quant classes and perform well.

2) Take the GMAT again and have a higher quant score.

Note that the GMAT is probably one of the less speeded admissions exams since it allows about two minutes per question.

It is important to recognize that some extremely bright people tend to have low scores on standardized tests just as some extremely intelligent people tend to have relatively low grades. While one can argue whether 37 questions provides a representative sample of one's true abilities, virtually every test must rely on sampling or else each test would take years to complete.

Hjort
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2004, 08:11
I took College Alegebra/Trig & Calculus my junior/senior of high school in 95' for college credit & that was all that was needed for my major & I did well in those classes. I also took 2 computer programming classes, physics and statistics in college & did well in all of those classes. Unfortunately for me, the 2 minutes isn't enough since I am used to having enough time to do the questions logically yet the GMAT is obviously different & after 4 CAT practice tests, I've yet finish the math part except for guessing on the final few questions. I've changed my way of doing the tests such as backsolving or plugging in numbers if possible but even the time issue is a problem. I graduated college in 2000 with a degree in Information Technology Management.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 58

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT & the application process [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2004, 10:47
Expert's post
riteshb wrote:
Well, my Quant. scores on my practice tests have been horrible so far & am wondering how important the Quant. score is by itself for a school that is not in the top 10 since I don't intend to apply to any of those schools. I've read that for some top 10 schools you should be in the 80% percentile. My scores are in the 60% percentile right now and I always score below my level on timed multiple choice tests (as I did on the SAT). Is there any other way to show the schools that I'm really not weak in math? I'm not on the level as some on the boards here but I was always good at math in school, just not speed math.

I'm frustrated that my quant. skllls may be decided from 37 questions & 75 minutes. I am targeting schools in the top 30 in the U.S. for a marketing MBA.

I want to take the actual GMAT and start the application process so I can apply in the 1st or 2nd round at the latest but I'm worried about the math score. I am working fulltime & may be taking Accounting and a finance class this fall to brush up on those subjects.

TAking these classes is a good idea. I share you concern about the 60% quant score being a red flag at top 30 schools. It may not be a knockout, but is a negative. The quant courses will mitigate. If your work is also quantitatively demanding, that will help you too.

For more suggestions, please see "MBA Admissions: Applying with low GMAT/GPA and "The GMAT in MBA Admissions"

For suggestions on how to handle the time demands of the GMAT, your fellow GMAT club members can provide far better advice than I can.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

CEO
CEO
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2004, 15:03
Hi,

You might consider taking a one-on-one course with an experienced instructor to work on solving speeded mathematics problems. I have observed many students make large improvements in their quant scores after completing a comprehensive training program when they have strong grades but relatively weak test scores.

Hjort