Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Grades Shmades?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

Grades Shmades? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 20:48
So what do you guys think?

I haven't been working too hard and have been taking classes (4 of 5) that really aren't up my alley. In 3 of the 4 "aint-my-thing" courses, I am soundly in the HP range (high pass, top 65% of class). As a near 4.0 GPA-er in college, this was a little alarming. But now I'm thinking that it's really ok. I don't want to do consulting or IB, so what do I care? Instead, I sleep. Yay, sleep!

Besides, the curve here doesn't really inspire me to achieve as there is so little differentiation: top 25%, Superior Pass; next 40%, High Pass; remaining 35%, Pass, Low Pass or Fail (with LP and F being very rare).

What's your take?
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2007, 03:51
I don't care about grades that much (and I did not have a 4.0 in college, either), but I would definitely like to cherry pick a few courses every now and then (1 out of 5 or even out of 10) where I could earn a higher grade.

Our grades are:

1: top 10%
2: middle 80%
3 - 4: bottom 10%, 4 means failed.

So chances are I'll get 2s on most courses, but a 1 every now and then would be nice.

L.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2007, 04:55
Most of us are on the other side of 25. I think it's important that schools emphasize learning, and backup claims of cooperative learning. Save the competitive stuff for job hunting.

aaudetat - don't fret over grades (I know it's easy for me to say, not being in school) just get the occasional superior pass in classes that interest you and learn a thing or two in classes that don't. but focus on your target industry!!! starting . . . . NOW!
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2007, 16:35
Ha! Got an SP in one of my summer classes. Good 'nuff.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2007, 05:33
I think Lepium has a good plan. I have heard from a number of investment banking recruiters that they will pay special attention to accounting, finance and decision analysis (some schools call this quantitative analysis I guess). They know that the grading system is skewed to a "B" average, but they'd like to see a B+ in one or two of those courses. Consulting firms have similar interest in operations or marketing I guess. For anything else, I think that grades truly don't matter - as long as you don't flunk out of course.

Darden actually has a grade non-disclosure policy. Recruiters are not able to get grades from the school, and are not able to demand them from students, but students have the option of disclosing their own grades if they choose. This differs from policies at some other schools, some of which are student initiated and so forth. What some banks do is when you go in for an interview, they may ask for some guidance from you as to how you did the first couple of quarters (or semester).

So, it's more or less impossible to try for top grades in all of your classes if you plan to stay involved in recruiting and other activities. You can put extra effort into one or two courses to try for a higher grade, but for the rest just plan on taking the "B".
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 14:13
I had to jump into this discussion because after talking to a few UCLA students, it seems that grades are more important than I previously thought (UCLA discloses grades). I talked to a VC alum who said that if it weren't for his good grades, many of the VC firms won't even talk to him, let alone hire him. A couple other students talked about how being in the top 25% (honor roll, superior pass, etc...) helped them get more scholarships or get into certain interviews with more established startups and companies like Yahoo and Google.

So while I really want to participate in the social and leadership aspects of B-school, it seems that I still need to work hard to get in the top 25% for overall grades, otherwise I'd be at a disadvantage... Does anyone else have more to say about this?
  [#permalink] 24 Sep 2007, 14:13