Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 07:22

Going on Right now:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GRE or GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GRE or GMAT? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2005, 20:27
Your thoughts are appreciated!

Last edited by elhajoui on 06 Apr 2008, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2005, 20:59
elhajoui,

I had a very similar dilemma (exactly 20 points lower than you on both tests). For many schools, you won't have a choice. Some state a preference; I would go with that. I wrote the program director of one school that accepted both for advice on which to send. He said, basically, that since I just told him that I took both, to submit them both! I sent the GRE to one other school that accepted both because I though it was a reach anyway (it was--it was my first ding).

If I were you, and I was aiming high, I'd retake the GMAT. There is a good chance that you'll have to submit it to many of the schools you want.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2005, 21:59
Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by elhajoui on 06 Apr 2008, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2005, 11:03
elajoui,

I don't have much experience with top 10 schools or strategy, so take the following with a grain of salt...

If you're sure you won't need the GMAT because of the schools you're targeting (more on this below), I think that you're right in thinking that it would be a little anal to retake the GRE since you've already put up a 780q and a 700v. It's pretty widely accepted that adcomms consider the highest score. They may be more likely to mix and match the subscores on the GRE because you're not supposed to add the scores anyway. The only problem I see is that top 10 is extremely competitive. My understanding is that strategy is fairly quantitative, and with GRE quant scores of 800 being only around 90% (as I recall), your 780 may be a problem (yes, that does seem silly given the standard error of the test, but it's a convenient way to draw a line). However, your undergrad pedigree is excellent and you have research experience (although a quantitative masters would be nice), so my guess is that you would be a good top 10 candidate.

Having said that though, you may want to consider some schools outside the top 10. You are likely to be asked in an interview (or even an app) what other schools you have applied to. Adcomms may be a little concerned about your "Business Week shotgun" approach to selecting schools. They like to see more consideration of alignment with the school, especially with regard to research interest (although as a practical matter your interests are likely to change, especially if you are younger person).
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Does everyone have an 800Q GRE? [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2005, 01:02
It seems like everyone I talk to has an 800Q GRE. I am applying to OB programs, and I have a 750Q 750V. Do I stand a chance or should I retake? Again, it seems a bit odd to retake with a relatively good total score. Does anyone have an opinion?
Does everyone have an 800Q GRE?   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2005, 01:02