Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 13:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GRE vs GMAT comparison

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GRE vs GMAT comparison [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 10:39
As more and more top MBA programs take the GRE, I was curious about how the schools compare the two. Do they use percentile rankings? (This could be hard as the GRE doesn't give an overall %ile) Do they have a common conversion table? Is there some other way?

I have spent some time Googling and the best tool I could find was a predictor model from ETS/GRE. The forum won't allow me to link, but it is easy enough to find.

Does anyone have more info?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: GRE vs GMAT comparison [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 11:16
There's a good Business Week article at http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/dec2009/bs20091228_716386.htm

Basic summary of the article is, unless you've got a good reason not to, you should take the GMAT. It avoids the worry about how b-schools (and later on, employers) compare the two exams.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GRE vs GMAT comparison [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 11:38
I have taken the GMAT and did well enough to not have to worry about taking it again or the GRE ever. I agree with your basic sentiment that you should take the GMAT.

I am only asking because I am a curious sort of guy when it comes to operations / decision making and statistics / metrics.
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: GRE vs GMAT comparison [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 12:18
Yale has 80%'ile GRE scores for their last class (they are incredibly high). I was told by a top 10 adcom point blank not to take the GRE (even though their website said that it didnt matter).
Current Student
Schools: R1: Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, Michigan, Kellogg, Duke
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: GRE vs GMAT comparison [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 17:14
Before deciding on an MBA, I was considering getting an MPP (masters in public policy) and took the GRE. The math section is wayyy easier than the GMAT math (high school level, but no tricks at all), but the verbal is harder in some ways because you just have to memorize a ton of vocab. It took me 3 trys to get a decent verbal score (I think I ended up with a 650 out of 800, which is barely in the 90th percentile or something). The essays are also graded harder. My scores were all over the place for the 3 tests I took. I was considering submitting my GRE scores instead of taking the GMAT, but when I looked at the GRE averages of the schools that accepted the test, they were higher than my scores (the verbal specifically). So I took the GMAT. I think ETS has a translator for GRE scores into GMAT scores and mine ended up being what I eventually got on my GMAT. I recommend taking the GMAT for bschool - like someone mentioned above, future employers may want to know your scores for the GMAT. Schools started accepting the GRE to encourage people who may have been interested in another type of grad school to apply for MBA programs as well.

Overall, the only section easier than the GMAT is the math section (but also if you get like 770 out of 800, that puts you below the 90th percentile or around there). The GRE is cheaper though ($150) and there are fewer questions/shorter sections.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GRE vs GMAT comparison [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 19:08
I would not suggest the GRE unless you have a fantastic vocabulary. Its a terrible test. Around 12% of the people get an 800 on the Q section so its tough to set yourself apart in Q at best you get 88th percentile. The verbal section is very tough with a ton of awful vocab words you will never actually see in the real world. A 720 or so in verbal is 99th percentile. I think i got a 570V (75th or so percentile) on the GRE compared with a 42V (95th percentile) on the GRE. Though to be fair i didn't prepare much for the GRE verbal because it didn't really matter for the programs i was applying to.
Re: GRE vs GMAT comparison   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2011, 19:08