Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 23:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guidance Required

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Guidance Required [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 22:55
hello to all..

I have my gmat, exactly 45 days from now..
I am working.. n have not started anything yet.... m nervous as well as confused...
It would be great if anyone can share their similar experience with GMAT.
Or maybe provide any tips like how should i approach.. how many hours daily would be good..
how many tests? any resources.. thanks a lot.

Regards,
If you like my post, consider giving me a kudo. THANKS!

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 21

Re: Guidance Required [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 05:24
This post received
KUDOS
I want to first say good luck.

GMAT is a nerve wrecking experience for many. There are some special people who can study for a bit, take the test and walk away with 750+ but I was not one of them unfortunately.

The first place to start is to take the free Manhattan GMAT or Knewton test. I haven't taken the Knewton test but I have heard many good things about the test and I can tell you for certain that Manhattan GMAT test will give you a pretty good sense of how the test structure will be like and what kind of questions you can anticipate.

After the practice test, if you are significantly below(100+) your desired score, I'd say either postpone the test or cancel the test because you'd need 3~4 months to increase significant amount of points.

If you are completely unprepared, I'd suggest taking a GMAT prep course.

Good luck with your journey!

GMAT Debrief

Intern
Intern

Re: Guidance Required [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 05:42
Thanks for the reply.. I'll look forward for taking the mentioned test.
The colleges which i have selected require 690-720 range of GMAT score. I will not be able to post-pone the exam as all the dead lines will be over by then. I have just started preparing and currently I am using official guide.
But based on experience of the team members, i want to know if anyone had been in similar position before and if they have some specific tips as in particular areas to conc on.. and certain books which had most similar questions as actual GMAT.
Hope to get a positive response from you all. thanks

Regards,

Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 21

Re: Guidance Required [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 05:46
Make sure to also download the official GMAT CAT from mba.com.

But I'd save that exam until later in the preparation. After two exams, the problems get recycled and it'll overestimate score a bit(assuming you learned from your mistakes).

GMAT Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: HLS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 4

Re: Guidance Required [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 07:58
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Viksag,

I was in a very similar position with you - I had only about 30 days to prep for the GMAT. I took a diagnostic and I was devastated because it was like 620 when my target was ~720. And I had 30 days to go.

I spent most of my time with the official guide and Manhattan GMAT books. With the limited time, I specifically targeted my weak areas (MGMAT is very good at breaking down the math into parts - via multiple books). Buying one of the MGMAT books gives you access to 6 practice exams. I took one every 3 or 4 days and going through an entire practice exam then reviewing it helped me raise my score a lot (you also get 2 free exams from GMAC). For the sake of time, you should probably skip the essays portions of the practice exams and work on your writing the week before your exam. GMAT looks for a systematic and well-structured writing, and you dont need to be a stellar writer to get a 6 on the AWA. There's a fantastic guide on AWA on this forum that will help you hit a 6 without much practice.

I'm sure you can do it - I attained my target score.

Good luck!!!!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 9

Re: Guidance Required [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 08:12
This post received
KUDOS
First thing is first - don't stress! (Yes I know, easier said than done). What I did when I had a short time frame for my test was I sat down and drew out a calendar for myself. What I would do on everyday of the week (including weekends). I even scheduled in some "days off" for myself as well, mostly as a sanity check. Practice, practice, practice. That's the best advice I can give you. The GMAT is a battle of attrition. The more you take it the better you get at timing, guessing, test taking in general.

When I played baseball in college my coaches would always say, "do you know how to get better at hitting? Go hit." Same thing applies here - you want to get better at GMAT? Go practice GMAT.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: Guidance Required [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 12:21
Thank you guys!! really thank you all your advice and tips have really helped me a lot.
And as RFMBA2 says practice, practice, and practice : short-est cut for success in GMAT.

Regards,

Re: Guidance Required   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2010, 12:21