Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guidelines and Info for Admitted Student Essays

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Guidelines and Info for Admitted Student Essays [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 15:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
(This is a repost of the announcement in the B-school Application area, reproduced here for everyone's benefit. The forum is now beginning to accept entries.)

Hi Everyone,

We hope to strengthen GMATClub's B-school application services (so it grows as strong as the GMAT section), and thought that having essays from people who are admitted to b-schools will help the prospective students greatly! All we have today are those included in books like Bodine, Montauk, MBA Game Plan, and HBS 65 Essays. Those often contain "superhuman" stories that just don't help us "common Joes" much. ;) If we can get a greater sample of what good essays are from common people who do not have Olympic medals or saved the President from jihadists in Iran, it'll hopefully get more GMATClubbers into the school of their dreams!

Security/Privacy/Format:

- Remove all personal info from the essays and as many proper nouns as possible; so no names of who you talked to, who you are, etc... To protect your privacy

- Mention your status with the school's application: admitted, rejected, waitlisted, deferred, withdrawn, etc...

- Include the essay question at the top of each essay.

- Please try to submit in password protected PDF file if possible. You can then decide to give out the password on an individual basis (by PM) or post it in a thread.

- Praetorian controls who can see this forum at all, so that's another level of security.

- If you're worried about people associating the essays to you, please send Praetorian your essays and he can post them up for you anonymously.

File Name Format/Organization:

- Let's standardize the title of the post. Something like:

[Name of School] - [Question] - [Application Year]

Ex: Stanford - Essay A - What Matters Most - 2006-2007

- I have created threads for each UE/E/TE school, and NE/NEF schools as needed. Please post your essays in those threads to keep this forum organized.

Access:

For access, similar to GMATClub Challenges, you currently need 400 QUALITY posts to be invited by BB to the hidden forum with essays:

Quote:
If you are an 09 applicant, you will need 400 quality posts to have access to the forum. If you do this right, this will take you about 6 or more months -- long enough for us to know that you are legit.

The link is here:

admitted-student-essays-vault-113/

Last edited by kryzak on 26 Dec 2007, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2007, 18:23
kryzak,

I would like to submit my essays after I am done with all of my applications. Where is the forum for the essays though? I can't find any...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2007, 18:44
good question, Praetorian might have taken it down?

Praetorian?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2007, 11:32
Hi kryzak and nervousgmat

I have created a admitted student essays forum. Only a few members currently have access. Let me know if you have been admitted and are interested in sharing your essays. I will enable access for you.

Some tips:

a) Post the document as a password protected PDF file.
b) Remove all personal information and as many proper nouns as possible.

If you are an 09 applicant, you will need 400 quality posts to have access to the forum. If you do this right, this will take you about 3 or more months -- long enough for us to know that you are legit.

thanks.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2007, 12:32
Praet,

Where's the said forum?
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2007, 14:30
mNeo wrote:
Praet,

Where's the said forum?

I don't see it either?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2007, 16:10
Praet,

As an admit w/o 400 posts, do I (and those who are similar to me) get access? I would like to pitch in. Furthermore, should we follow Kry's quidelines, as stated above, or do you have any other suggestions?
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2007, 16:31
activated access for mNeo, Ozmba and djhouse81.

djhouse81, we have provided guidelines. I will leave it to the contributors to decide how they want to post their essays.

thank you for your participation.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2007, 17:53
Praet, add me as a contributor (and if you need any help with editing or moderating stuff).

Thanks!
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2007, 18:08
kryzak wrote:
Praet, add me as a contributor (and if you need any help with editing or moderating stuff).

Thanks!

You are one of the moderators of that forum.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2007, 19:17
Hi Preat,

I would like access too. Having been dinged twice, I have some interesting insights into common mistakes that people can make :)

Praetorian wrote:
activated access for mNeo, Ozmba and djhouse81.

djhouse81, we have provided guidelines. I will leave it to the contributors to decide how they want to post their essays.

thank you for your participation.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guidelines and Info for Admitted Student Essays [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2008, 19:34
Hi,

Can I have the access too please?

Success is my only option, failure is not -- Eminem

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guidelines and Info for Admitted Student Essays [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2008, 21:12
Can the post be made accessible to "Managers". I would definitely contribute a lot more once i get an admit, but to get to that, i might need some help from already successful essays.

Personally, i feel 50 posts do validate the person's commitment and authenticity.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guidelines and Info for Admitted Student Essays [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2008, 21:17
I think it will be best if interested parties PM Praet or his designee directly, for access requests. Discussing access requests in the open forum is probably not the best option and can lead to resentments and arguments.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guidelines and Info for Admitted Student Essays [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2008, 21:49
currently, Praetorian is the only person who can give access. The rest of us are just mods who are helping him organize the forum and things like that. I would follow NC's advice and PM Praet to sell your case. :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guidelines and Info for Admitted Student Essays [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2008, 22:04
Peace..

Have sent a PM to Praet.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guidelines and Info for Admitted Student Essays [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 03:11
This post received
KUDOS
I hate to say it but its pretty important to have a set number and not make exceptions. If you make exception for one person you have to make it for a bunch. The number has to be pretty high for obvious reason. I think its like the challenges, you need to earn the right to access them (I dont even have access to challenges). There are only a few essays there now so honestly there isnt anything that is going to help anyone this year.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 02:57
This post received
KUDOS
Praetorian wrote:
Hi kryzak and nervousgmat

I have created a admitted student essays forum. Only a few members currently have access. Let me know if you have been admitted and are interested in sharing your essays. I will enable access for you.

Some tips:

a) Post the document as a password protected PDF file.
b) Remove all personal information and as many proper nouns as possible.

If you are an 09 applicant, you will need 400 quality posts to have access to the forum. If you do this right, this will take you about 3 or more months -- long enough for us to know that you are legit.

thanks.

I'd like to contribute, especially with GSB I think I have a good material. However, I still have some posts to get to 400, and not all of them are "quality posts" :lol:. But hey I'm a 10 applicant. Jokes aside, I'm here to help...

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

CEO
CEO

Re: Re: [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 03:10
kwam

I added you. Keep in mind that the post requirements are intended for 09 applicants. If you are writing to me to request access as an 08 applicant, there is not much available right now.

Remember that if you do not want GMAT Club to access your essays, you should post them as PDF password protected.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guidelines and Info for Admitted Student Essays [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 21:26
pm'd praet
Re: Guidelines and Info for Admitted Student Essays   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2008, 21:26