Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Has anyone else had this problem?????

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale SOM/Kellogg/others???
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Has anyone else had this problem????? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 19:31
This is my first post since I took the GMAT exam for the first time during the end of August. I scored a 620 (44 q, 31 v).

I'm confused as to how my verbal has slipped so much since I first took the GMAT Prep 1 CAT in May, when I had not studied at all. I spent the entire summer studying with no trace of a personal life. Overall, I spent about 2 months studying Quant and about 1 month studying Verbal. I made this decision back in May when I took the GMAT Prep 1 CAT, as my Quant was lower than my verbal. I scored a 540 overall on the GMAT Prep 1 CAT (34 q, 37 v).

For studying, I used the entire MGMAT book series (except RC book) and OG12 guide. I read through each book, doing 90% of the end of chapter problems and taking extensive notes. For the OG, I completed 80% of the quant and 70% of the SC and CR. Didn't touch the RC as that is my strongest area.

This is where it gets weird. As I continued to study and take MGMAT CAT exams my quant got stronger and increased, but my verbal started to decrease as soon as I began studying verbal in July. I am not sure as to why studying the MGMAT verbal techniques would make my score decrease. I would assume that it would help me instead. Maybe it is because I have two conflicting techniques now? Before studying MGMAT verbal, I just tried my best to read each question and figure out what sounded the most correct (using my gut feeling). After studying, I worked at implementing the MGMAT techniques. As I continued to do this, my CAT scores for verbal began to decrease. In addition to my Quant scores and confidence.

I feel lost and unsure of how to study for my 2nd attempt at the GMAT. I am not going to schedule my exam until I feel comfortable with Verbal. The only thing I am sure of is I need to focus the majority of my time on verbal.

Below is my test history.

May - GMAT Prep Test 1 - 540 - 34 Q, 37 V
June - MGMAT CAT 1 - 43 Q, (didn't take verbal)
July - MGMAT CAT 2 - 660, 42 Q, 38 V
July - MGMaT CAT 3 - 660, 45 Q, 35 V
August - MGMAT CAT 4 - 620, 44 Q, 27 V
August - MGMAT CAT 5 - 590, 39 Q, 33 V
August - GMAT Prep Test 2 - 540 - 38 Q, 27 V
Official GMAT Exam - 620 - 44 q, 31 v

Any thoughts, tips or insight? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Guy in need of a better plan
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2175

Kudos [?]: 7765 [0], given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Has anyone else had this problem????? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 19:35
Expert's post
It is almost as in sports - did you notice that the first time you play a sport (or at least it works for many), you get beginner's luck and sometimes do as well as some of the better players. Thats because you have no clue and acting by instincts. Then you learn some tricks that are supposed to improve your score/performance and you do worse as you have not perfected them and so on. You lose your ability to have beginner's luck but at the same time have not perfected your skills yet. Then you have a long climb back.

Same here. One of the issues you run into is, following the strategy exactly as it is written. Thats one of the biggest challenges I have seen people have - just do it as it is written. That's it.

I think you need to spend more time in verbal. (at least judging by your scores)....

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale SOM/Kellogg/others???
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Has anyone else had this problem????? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 19:39
bb wrote:
It is almost as in sports - did you notice that the first time you play a sport (or at least it works for many), you get beginner's luck and sometimes do as well as some of the better players. Thats because you have no clue and acting by instincts. Then you learn some tricks that are supposed to improve your score/performance and you do worse as you have not perfected them and so on. You lose your ability to have beginner's luck but at the same time have not perfected your skills yet. Then you have a long climb back.

Same here. One of the issues you run into is, following the strategy exactly as it is written. Thats one of the biggest challenges I have seen people have - just do it as it is written. That's it.

I think you need to spend more time in verbal. (at least judging by your scores)....

That helps a lot. I felt rushed in studying for verbal and it really showed. Thanks for the advice.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2175

Kudos [?]: 7765 [0], given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Has anyone else had this problem????? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 19:54
Expert's post
Now is the time to climb that hill back up. Should be able to do it in 1-1.5 months

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Has anyone else had this problem?????   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2011, 19:54