Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELp!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELp! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2004, 01:23
Dear,

I just took my GMAT yesterday after 3 months of studying hard and i got an awful score. I dont think anyone has gotten such a low score than i did.
I dont knw what went wrong. I used Princetons reviews, solved lots of practice exam inwhich i scored very well in and after all that BOOOOM :( .

Any advice on wt should i do next. I know i should re-take the GMAT there is no question about that. The question is how do i approach it this time.

Yours,
AOGA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2004, 11:06
Hi Aoga,

Can you tell us what you did to prepare for the GMAT other than using Princeton Review? Did you take a lot of practice tests? How much time did you spend studying (5 days a week for a few months)?

When I took the GMAT, I studied about 6 days a week about 4 hours a day for 2 months. I used the Manhattan GMAT books and took about 10 practice tests. I felt very confident going into the test that I knew the material well.

I would suggest mapping out a detailed plan of materials, time, and practice.

Good Luck and don't lose faith!
Intern
Intern

low GMAT score without real test practice [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2004, 11:35
I also got a very low GMAT score . I only had a chance to answer to
20 Quantitative out of 37 and 25 Verbal out of 41 in the time frame provided. The key to success is to get very comfortable with the software they use, type of questions they have, and the speed you answer them with.
If you spend more then 2 minutes on any particular question you have to skip it , i.e pick any answer from the choice provided. I took GMAT on paper in 1990 and did 90% in quantitative but very low in verbal. It was much easier then as you could always answer the easy questions and then go back to unanswered ones .
I made a big mistake by not practicing on a real CAT , part of it is my attempt to save money . You know what they say - "greedy pays twice" .

Does anyone know where the best prep centers are in Los Angeles ?
I am ready to spend 3 months before retesting.
I am so pissed with my score. :oops:

Russian ( original ) : On skazal poyekhaly e makhnool rukoy ....

English ( equivalent) : He said let's go and waved his hand ....

CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2004, 13:34
Have you checked out The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition? That's definitely a must have.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2004, 04:54
Well, I had a full time job, so during workdays i studied 3-5 hrs a day and on weekends it ws 5-8 hrs. I used the followinf materials:

1- Barron's How to prepare for the GMAT.
2- Cracking The GMAT The Princeton Review.
3- Master the GMAT CAT by ARCO.

i solved all the practice exam in the above materials. I was scoring very high on quantitative and CR section.

had some weaknesses in RC and SC, but took care of that with more practice online.

On the contratry to what i was expecting, i didnt have any problem with time in the EXAM, there was plenty of it.

AWA section was great, i finished with time to spare.

But it all started out with the Quantitative section. Since i come from an engineering background i didnt have anyt problem with the 1st 5 questions. But after that i dunno wt happen, my mind suddenly went blank. To an extent i couldnt even understand the questions. i was taking about 3 minutes to solve a question and after discovering that am running out of time i started to guess.

Then came the verbal section. English is not my native language, but i\ve been taking english since i ws in 4th grade, i got a A on IGCSE englilsh and 270 in TOEFL. But going through the verbal question proved to me i know nothin in english. I coudlnt understand the passages, nor the logic in CR, even SCs i couldnt find any errors.

I honestly dunno what went wrong with me, everything just came tumbling down all over.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2004, 19:38
get kaplan 2005 + cd, also the OG - official guide, the math and verbal workbooks; you can get those from either amazon.com or ebay.com; also utilize this forum to the fullest. it is a great practice tool, previous test takers who shared their experience received a good score by posting and doing problems posted here. also barrons tends to have very vague and poorly constructed quesiton. i would not recommend this prep source, get something more reputable such as kaplan or pr. also for CR and RC get LSAT practice books you can get those from amazon, ebay etc. there are some quesitons on this forum as well. browse thoroughly through the verbal section. hope this helps. good luck on the re-test.

kayser
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2004, 06:29
mawaru wrote:
Hi Aoga,

Can you tell us what you did to prepare for the GMAT other than using Princeton Review? Did you take a lot of practice tests? How much time did you spend studying (5 days a week for a few months)?

When I took the GMAT, I studied about 6 days a week about 4 hours a day for 2 months. I used the Manhattan GMAT books and took about 10 practice tests. I felt very confident going into the test that I knew the material well.

I would suggest mapping out a detailed plan of materials, time, and practice.

Good Luck and don't lose faith!

Hi Mawaru,

I also bought ManhattanGMAT's 7 strategy books, but I'm currently re-working on the kaplan math workout (and verbal soon). Could you give an assessment on the ManhattanGMAT books? How effective are they vis-a-vis kaplan or PR? What type of practice tests did you use?
Thanks!

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELp!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap