Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 12:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help: Cornell (Johnson) vs Emory (Goizueta)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Emory vs Cornell

• 21% [4]
  • 78% [15]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Help: Cornell (Johnson) vs Emory (Goizueta) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 12:47
Hello all,

Never posted on this forum before, but I figured I'd give it a shot!

I've been lucky enough to be accepted to Emory (Goizueta) with 25% scholarship and Cornell (Johnson) for this fall.

As for my background, I currently work in brand management in the CPG industry in Southern California. I work for a marketing/sales company that specializes in working with grocery manufacturers. I'm pursuing an MBA in order to advance my career in the CPG industry while continuing to work in the brand management field (hopefully by moving over to a major CPG manufacturer like P&G), but am also looking to explore other industries as well and seeing what other opportunities are out there. My current ideal goal geographically speaking would be to try to return the West Coast after finishing my MBA.

I've been trying to decide between the two as both are undeniably great programs, and would love to hear everyone's point of view. Thanks!
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 310 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Help: Cornell (Johnson) vs Emory (Goizueta) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 14:18
Nitewraith18 wrote:
I'm pursuing an MBA in order to advance my career in the CPG industry while continuing to work in the brand management field (hopefully by moving over to a major CPG manufacturer like P&G), but am also looking to explore other industries as well and seeing what other opportunities are out there. My current ideal goal geographically speaking would be to try to return the West Coast after finishing my MBA.

Objectively speaking, if you're looking to explore and want to head back west, Johnson would be the choice. Emory graduates tend to stay in the southeast, and while it's not impossible to recruit outside that area, your network will be weaker anywhere that isn't the SE US.

Granted, Johnson has strong ties to the Northeast, but it's overall the stronger program should you choose to stray from brand management, and it's not quite as regional as Emory.

I get the feeling at either school you're going to have to do your share of off campus recruiting to land back west.

Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2281

Kudos [?]: 8844 [1] , given: 3668

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Help: Cornell (Johnson) vs Emory (Goizueta) [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Did you already dismiss Marshall?
What would be your ideal school out of your list? Did you have one that you would have gone without thinking? If so, why?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

Re: Help: Cornell (Johnson) vs Emory (Goizueta) [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 09:59
For me, Johnson by a hair for the somewhat more national network but if you want to work in Southern California is there a reason you've ruled out Marshall? And if you want to work in CPG is there a reason you've ruled out Kelley, generally one of the go-to schools for CPG guys? Between Goizueta and Johnson, I think you should also consider whether you want to live in tiny Ithaca or sprawling Atlanta... you're going to be there for two years and I think lifestyle should play a major factor in your decision.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Help: Cornell (Johnson) vs Emory (Goizueta) [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 10:37
I agree with the previous posts. If your goal is west coast, I would think Marshall would be the best choice.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 323 [1] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Help: Cornell (Johnson) vs Emory (Goizueta) [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 14:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
There is some conflicting information you should get a better understanding of before making your school choice.
1) P&G main activities are in the Midwest, what’s the likelihood you will go to West Coast if you continue your career at P&G? If you want to go to P&G, you should consider Kelley.
2) Goizueta is a good regional school. There are some strong CPG with operations there, Coke, Kimberly Clark. Your chance to land a West Coast CPG job is lower
3) Johnson your best bet on a national school; however, it is not known for its strength in the West Coast or in CPG.
4) Clorox and Allergan are in the California, but they are kind of small. Are there major CPG companies on the West Coast? You should also consider Marshall if you want to stay in SoCal.

Diversity

Re: Help: Cornell (Johnson) vs Emory (Goizueta)   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2013, 14:49