Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Help for CR questions... [#permalink]
Expert Reply
evensflow wrote:
bb wrote:
evensflow wrote:
Could someone help me or suggest me what would be a good way to tackle CR quesitons and where could i find strategies to handle these questions better. I have checked the likes of Kaplan and Princeton Review, but am not finding much of help or result :(.

Please suggest.

Thanks In advance.

Have you tried paraphrasing the CR passage ?
It helps me to understand...

Also, answering the question before reading the answer will be really helpful. How do you feel about this?

I am presently tryin on work on the same. I read quite a few stuff written by you on the queries asked by people on this forumn. I must say i have felt quite good after, the good thoughts expressed by you even in face low scrores initially. I am kinda a surpised packet here who scored 660 in the Diagnostic test w/o preparation but then dommned as low as 520 in some practice test after that, just to find that i am poor in CRs and SCs. While the latter i perfected to quite an extent but CRs is a real pain to me, considering that if i paraphrase the arguiment and try to answer it i am taking on an average 3 min per question which is poor. So, i am still working on it and will try to improve it.

Thanks for the advice again BB.... Your help has been appreciated a lot..

HEY!

Here is my tiny comment:

Basically paraphrasing is very representative of how you understand the passage. Often when you read a CR passage - it is short and pretty clear but then you can't paraphrase it without reading - this means that you did not quite grasp the passage. If you can't paraphrase it and you were going to start picking the answer - chances are, you won't pick the correct one. I would just get some crappy CR tests like some available in the TESTS section or there is actually a paraphrase exercise in the VERBAL LESSONS section and learn how to parphrase fast.

There is no secret about paraphrasing and it does not help you to answer the CR directly - it just helps you to understand the passage much better, which in trun lets you nail the answer.

Answering the question without looking though the answer choices is actually slightly faster than reading though answers. (you know what you are looking for, so you don't have to run each answer through the passage, it becomes a yes/no test). I usually spend 2-4 seconds trying to answer the passage on my own and then skim though the choices. (not perfect, but still a higher score :wink: )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GPA: 8.4
Send PM
Dear bb, I just gave the Knewton CR Test. I scored a meager 23 on 30. I am worried about my Hit ratio. I have my GMAT in just 12 days and here I am erring like this... While analyzing my mistakes, it almost always happened that i knew whats the right answer if its not what i marked. That is, I have done mistakes after a correct 2-3 split. What do I do man??!! I am scoring a meager 690 (51Q-34V) in last 2 PR Tests and an "average" 710 (50Q-36V) (did 6 mistakes in SC out of 10- donno what got into my head that day :/ ) in GMAT Prep.
Worse did i perform in Manhattan's MGMAT free test (670)(47Q-34V). Save me with some good strategy to tackle hit ratio in CR or am doomed. I WANT 40 on Verbal..!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
try powerscore cr bible
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
I saw a nice and concise suggestion from a guy who murdered verbal. Switch off the timer and go SLOW. It helped me push my scores from high 20s to the 30s.

Posted from my mobile device

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts