Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help Needed - Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Help Needed - Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 22:14
Hello
I just finished my GMAT on 28th of May. Got a score of 700 (First attempt).
I am planning to apply to MBA school in Canada and want to major in marketing and also get some experience/degree in Sustainabilty (MBA).
I have been working with a major IT company in India for the last 3 years and also been involved with a startup.
My extracurricular activities decently strong. My GPA right from school has been above 3.2.
I wanted to know if what schools should I be targeting and if i will have a good chance of getting a part scholarships from these colleges (from what I have heard, Canadian schools do give out scholarships).
I am also confused if I should take the GMAT once again and try to improve on the score.

Your reply will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help Needed - Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 17:47
This post received
KUDOS
Arjun,
Your challenge is that you are applying from an applicant pool that produces a lot of applications to top schools, so you will need every advantage you can find to differentiate yourself. So, on the one hand, assuming that your GMAT score was balanced (quant and verbal both as close to 80th percentile as possible), you don't need to raise the score. But, on the other, if you have some indication (such as higher practice test scores) that you can raise the score by more than 20 points than, perhaps retake it (if doing so would not take time from your other efforts to improve your profile). One reason in favor of retaking is your GPA, which is not in the 3.4 - 3.6 range that top schools like. Similarly, if your goal is a scholarship, then you are more likely to be offered one if your profile/numbers are higher than a school's average GMAT/GPA. Assuming that your profile is interesting and your application is executed well you should be competitive at top Canadian schools like Ivey, Rotman etc.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 4

Re: Help Needed - Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
arjunpisharody wrote:
Hello
I just finished my GMAT on 28th of May. Got a score of 700 (First attempt).
I am planning to apply to MBA school in Canada and want to major in marketing and also get some experience/degree in Sustainabilty (MBA).
I have been working with a major IT company in India for the last 3 years and also been involved with a startup.
My extracurricular activities decently strong. My GPA right from school has been above 3.2.
I wanted to know if what schools should I be targeting and if i will have a good chance of getting a part scholarships from these colleges (from what I have heard, Canadian schools do give out scholarships).
I am also confused if I should take the GMAT once again and try to improve on the score.

Your reply will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Arjun,
Your GMAT score is decent enough to make you a good candidate for good business schools including top Canadian MBA programs. It is not good enough to ensure a fellowship. If you think you can get close to 750 mark, then it is worth a shot which will exponentially increase your chances of getting an admission from top business schools and will also make you a candidate for fellow ship.

I would strongly recommend that you check if 'student loans' are not a concern in Canadian MBA programs. We have had clients get admission from schools such as Rotman (I know atleast three clients who got an admit and fellowship award ranging from 10-30K) who eventually gave up after struggling to secure a loan. If you are willing to foot the bill then this might not be a concern.

Contact us if you have further questions.

Best,
Priya | Admission Consultant | Email: contactus@indusminds.com
IndusMinds Consulting | Free Initial Consultation
BusinessWeek Interview on Essay Writing Services

Last edited by IndusMinds on 10 Jun 2012, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Help Needed - Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 10:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Arjun,

Canadian schools get far lesser number of applications than US schools from India. This is simply because of lesser job options ( primarily finance and energy) in Canada as compared to US.

So, getting into Queens, Richard Ivey and Rotman might not be very tough with your profile and score.

Going by our experience, scholarships with these schools actually can vary from 5000CAD to even 40000CAD and the amount is largely a factor of your GMAT score.
Schulich has given upto 80% of tuition fees waiver.

So, if you want to reduce your loan burden retake GMAT and get a 730+ or so.

Apphelp Team

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Preparing for GMAT? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/apphelpconsulting

Re: Help Needed - Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2012, 10:05