Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help Required to ace GMAT Verbal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 5

Help Required to ace GMAT Verbal [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 04:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,
I had completed practicing verbal questions from both OG 12 and Verbal Review Supplement 2nd edition once. I answered around 65% of all the verbal questions correctly. I studied from Manhattan strategy guides before solving questions. I also looked for explanations for the questions that I answered incorrectly and recorded in my error log where I made mistakes. Now that I am finished with this stuff, what to do next to improve my accuracy in answering questions correctly?
Kindly help me out!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: Help Required to ace GMAT Verbal [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 10:20
Expert's post
Hi,

I hope you are well. Great job getting through the OG and the verbal review. A few questions:

1. Are you equally strong in RC, CR, and SC or do you have specific strengths/weaknesses?

2. Have you worked on the 9 GMAT Paper Tests, Question Pack 1, or the 10 FLTs?

If you want a lot more practice on verbal then I would approach LSAT logical reasoning and GRE reading comprehension. There is an almost unlimited amount of practice from those two resources. Also, LSAT/GRE verbal is generally tougher than the GMAT so these questions are great practice BUT you will probably be very challenged by them. Stay methodical and organized. On the LSAT skip parallel reasoning questions (parallel flaw as well). You may also find questions that involve heavier formal logic than the GMAT so you may skip those as well or just don't worry if you feel challenged by them.

For sentence correction you do not have many choices. The SAT has a section similar to SC BUT the questions are easier. You can also pick up the elements of style which has a great briefing on the major grammar rules.

If you have time and really want to sharpen your verbal then work on the LSAT/GRE for a few weeks while reviewing your OG and Verbal review error log and then come back to the 9 GMAT paper tests which will give you a good indicator of where your verbal score is. After you have exhausted the GMATPrep tests you can work through the GMATPrep docs.

I would also suggest reading a challenging article from a dense magazine or newspaper (Economist, Wall Street Journal...) every day. Read for total comprehension and look up words that you do not know. While reading be thinking about what the facts are, what the conclusions are, what the assumptions the author is making, and what the main idea of the article is. This reading will help your performance on the entire test.

Please let me know if you need more advice on this.

Happy Studies,

HG.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Blog and Tutoring: http://AtlanticGMAT.com

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set and some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: Help Required to ace GMAT Verbal [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 09:25
Hey HG,
Thanks for your response and advice.
I am weak in RC, okay with CR and good with SC.
I am getting answers wrong mostly after Q.No 75 and above in OG, in all sections.
I have not tried 9 Paper tests and QP1 yet. And I am not aware of 10 FLT's. Please throw some light on FLT's, will you?
FYI, I am non-native English speaker and I want to improve my verbal score. Please guide me through.

Thanks!
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 610 [0], given: 5

Re: Help Required to ace GMAT Verbal [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 08:33
Expert's post
soniedarshan wrote:
I am weak in RC, okay with CR and good with SC.
FYI, I am non-native English speaker and I want to improve my verbal score. Please guide me through.

Thanks!

Hi soniedarshan,

Perhaps these RC videos can help you approach the reading section:

http://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1184

Kudos [?]: 3127 [0], given: 176

Re: Help Required to ace GMAT Verbal [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 07:53
Expert's post
The key to acing Reading Comprehensions is to read effectively and comprehend. You need to avoid re-reading as much as possible, yet make sure that you are able to weed out details and focus on key transitions. At e-GMAT, we have special concepts that equip you with the tools needed to achieve the above. Take the e-GMAT Free trial. There are many free concepts on how to read a passage, how to approach main point questions etc. Here is what some of our customers said after going through the RC course.

Free trial link: https://e-gmat.com/secure/register_gc.php

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Re: Help Required to ace GMAT Verbal   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2013, 07:53