Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hi Linda/Accepted.com

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Hi Linda/Accepted.com [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2005, 22:14
Hi,
I've posted questions on a few different boards here and I apologize for spreading myself around like a disease. But I find Linda/Accepted.com (or just general posters who know lots about MBA programs) on this board give really great advice, and I really need advice now.

I am taking the gmat in about 10 days but I'm wondering if I should postpone the exam. If I should, I must contact them ASAP. I need an honest assessment of my current situation.

Here are all the kaplan CATs and Practice Tests I've done recently, can you give me an estimation of what I might get? I find it really hard to tell where I stand right now looking at my record. I did another CAT yesterday and it was quite disappointing and that’s when I started wondering if I should postpone the exam:

Jan 03, 2005: CAT 2: 580 (70%) (Q37 V33)
Jan 05, 2005: PT C: 700 (93%) (Q50 V 37)
Jan 09, 2005: CAT 3: 560 (64%) (Q35 V33)
Jan 11, 2005: PT D: 700 (93%) (Q52 V36)
Jan 12, 2005: CAT 4: 550 (60%) (Q34 V30)

And here's my profile: BA in Eng Lit and Theatre (double major), graduated last year with First Class standing, a top university in Canada. I'm unsure about how my target B schools calculate GPA. My 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year averages are: 50, 78.7, 85.8, 86.3. Dean’s Honour List (top 5%) in my junior/senior years. Extra Curr Activities: stage acting, internship at newscast station,..etc

I am 23 right now. I am interested and have involved myself in four arenas: creative writing, theatre, international development, and business. I've done volunteer work with NGOs in South America and the South Pacific, mainly community development projects (involving leadership skills).

I am currently working on a couple of writing projects with socio-political themes (mainly in relation to globalization, int’l organizations such as WB or IMF, and transnational corporations). I already have a publisher (I started writing columns at 16) and I will publish my first book in either late 2005 or early 06, following it with a string of lectures in Taiwan, then likely China and Singapore. According to my publisher, which is one of the biggest in Asia, I’m a “very marketable productâ€
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2005, 23:05
Wow, quite a unique background you have Chantal. I'm sure you will stand out but Linda can certainly answer that question. In terms of being ready for the GMAT or not, how long did you practice and what was your study method, pattern(hours/day or hours/week)? Were those practice scores from Kaplan or PR or a combination of both? Just want to make sure and the breakdown would also help you assess your strength and weaknesses. Moreover, a good indication would be your % correct from OG as to RC/CR/SC. I am not asking for the math part here because it is not representative of the 47+Q on the actual GMAT. Be sure though to cover Perm&Comb for the exam. It will be asked if you are aiming for a high Quant score. Ideally, to get 700+, you should aim at 48+Q and 38+V; do your practice score approach that? Compare it to your practice breakdown and assess the areas you will have to work on.

In CR, knowing about ad hominem, post hoc fallacy(cause-effect reversal), unwarranted assumptions and strengthen/weaken arguments should be the basis of tearing apart those arguments. As for SC, knowing about first order errors such as parallellism, misplaced modifier, tense/pronoun agreement and idioms will help. However, 2nd order issues such as phrases(participial, appositive, absolute, prepositional) vs clauses, ellipsis, parenthetical elements, restrictive vs non-restrictive clauses or run-on setences will definitely help you in spotting the errors in particularly long and convoluted SC which are ETS' favorite as of late.

I don't mean here to scare you but if you really want to score 700+, make sure that on test day, you know your fundamentals and that you practiced at least on a few CATs, which you did, in order to figure out your timing. Of course, nothing compares to the real thing because it will always be more stress than you can think, you know it :wink: . Just make sure that you DO NOT touch anything the day before and completely rest your mind. Sleeping well is also crucial(easier said than done) but as I many times repeated it, at least 25% of your score will be determined by your mental condition on G-day.

Whether to postpone or not the exam depends on your own confidence and attitude. If you feel like you can do it and have the proper energy to do it, do not delay it. Remember that you can always take it again and that at least, you will have some experience for the next time. Not many people get 700+ on their first attempt including myself. Just believe in yourself.

Good luck

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2005, 07:08
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply. I started in Sept and have been studying everyday, avg 6-7 hrs/day, sometimes up to 13 hours (my current job grants me the luxury to focus nearly all my time on gmat). I went through all the kaplan texts plus their online lessons, as well as a couple of gmat prep books I got from Asia that have been really helpful with quant. But prior to studying this test I knew almost nothing about math (I couldn’t even do simple addition/subtraction).

Study method: Go through the lessons; type out notes; go through questions; copy down the questions I got wrong; pick representative ones from those wrong questions, group them according to question patterns or trap types, and add them to my notes; go through those wrong questions twice or three times; move onto the next text; repeat.

I used Princeton Review’s textbook last summer to get myself acquainted with math, but I haven’t done any PR practice test. All of the scores provided in my last post are kaplan’s online CATs or Practice Tests (the ones marked “PTâ€
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Hi Linda/Accepted.com [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 12:47
Expert's post
[quote="Chantal"]Hi,
I've posted questions on a few different boards here and I apologize for spreading myself around like a disease. But I find Linda/Accepted.com (or just general posters who know lots about MBA programs) on this board give really great advice, and I really need advice now.

I am taking the gmat in about 10 days but I'm wondering if I should postpone the exam. If I should, I must contact them ASAP. I need an honest assessment of my current situation.

Here are all the kaplan CATs and Practice Tests I've done recently, can you give me an estimation of what I might get? I find it really hard to tell where I stand right now looking at my record. I did another CAT yesterday and it was quite disappointing and that’s when I started wondering if I should postpone the exam:

Jan 03, 2005: CAT 2: 580 (70%) (Q37 V33)
Jan 05, 2005: PT C: 700 (93%) (Q50 V 37)
Jan 09, 2005: CAT 3: 560 (64%) (Q35 V33)
Jan 11, 2005: PT D: 700 (93%) (Q52 V36)
Jan 12, 2005: CAT 4: 550 (60%) (Q34 V30)

And here's my profile: BA in Eng Lit and Theatre (double major), graduated last year with First Class standing, a top university in Canada. I'm unsure about how my target B schools calculate GPA. My 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year averages are: 50, 78.7, 85.8, 86.3. Dean’s Honour List (top 5%) in my junior/senior years. Extra Curr Activities: stage acting, internship at newscast station,..etc

I am 23 right now. I am interested and have involved myself in four arenas: creative writing, theatre, international development, and business. I've done volunteer work with NGOs in South America and the South Pacific, mainly community development projects (involving leadership skills).

I am currently working on a couple of writing projects with socio-political themes (mainly in relation to globalization, int’l organizations such as WB or IMF, and transnational corporations). I already have a publisher (I started writing columns at 16) and I will publish my first book in either late 2005 or early 06, following it with a string of lectures in Taiwan, then likely China and Singapore. According to my publisher, which is one of the biggest in Asia, I’m a “very marketable productâ€

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog