Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 12:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

hi there

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

hi there [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2004, 22:04
Hey all,

GMAT - 640 :?
Work Exp - Around 5yrs in Telecommunication industry :)
MBA - Full time from US / UK / Aust / Europe

Would be great if you could help me in analysing how i should go about applying in b-schools.

cheers 8-)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4847
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 64

Re: hi there [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2004, 21:53
Expert's post
destinationUS wrote:
Hey all,

GMAT - 640 :?
Work Exp - Around 5yrs in Telecommunication industry :)
MBA - Full time from US / UK / Aust / Europe

Would be great if you could help me in analysing how i should go about applying in b-schools.

cheers 8-)


My ebook, Best Practices for 2005 MBA Admissions goes into great detail about choosing the schools you should apply to. For a short (and free) article on the same subject, please see How to Choose Where to Apply.
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Posts: 3281
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2004, 14:56
Bravo for keeping an open mind about where you want to apply. However, it would be helpful to know a bit more about your background and interests so that we can help identify programs for you to consider.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2004, 04:43
Thanks Linda & Hjort

As i mentioned earlier my GMAT score is 640. I was a little disappointed as i was scoring higher in the practice tests. I scored in quantitative and lesser in verbal. Nevermind as i believe a little here and there doesnt really make an impact.

On my background, iam from india and and engineer by profession. I have been working for past 5years. Iam currently a Solution Architect with top telecommunication provider. In the past few years i have , in the networking field, worked in Operations, Planning, Project Management, and solutioning ( both technical & pre-sales) .

The reason i planned & took GMAT this yr was that i felt to be a genuine MBA , 5 or more yrs of work experience is a must. I have certain schools in my mind. I personally beleive that i have the required stuff to get through good schools who accepts my GMAT score as i have strong references, GPA, work exp.

I hope from the above detail, you would be able to judge my scope in a better way.

cheers
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Posts: 3281
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2004, 07:55
Thanks for the update.

What are your career goals?

In the meantime, perhaps these schools will interest you:

Maryland (Smith)

Queen's University MBA for Science & Technology (although you did not mention Canada I figured you would consider it)

Hjort
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4847
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 64

 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2004, 16:10
Expert's post
destinationUS wrote:
Thanks Linda & Hjort

As i mentioned earlier my GMAT score is 640. I was a little disappointed as i was scoring higher in the practice tests. I scored in quantitative and lesser in verbal. Nevermind as i believe a little here and there doesnt really make an impact.

On my background, iam from india and and engineer by profession. I have been working for past 5years. Iam currently a Solution Architect with top telecommunication provider. In the past few years i have , in the networking field, worked in Operations, Planning, Project Management, and solutioning ( both technical & pre-sales) .

The reason i planned & took GMAT this yr was that i felt to be a genuine MBA , 5 or more yrs of work experience is a must. I have certain schools in my mind. I personally beleive that i have the required stuff to get through good schools who accepts my GMAT score as i have strong references, GPA, work exp.

I hope from the above detail, you would be able to judge my scope in a better way.

cheers

What do you want to do after your MBA?
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2004, 23:58
Hi

I would like to be a consultant in the field of telecommunications. Yes thats what i want to be though i have been thinking of my scope as a financial analayst or something similar. I have heard from my pals in the schools that once you are in, we come to know more career options and there is always a possibility of changing tracks.

cheers
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4847
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 64

 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2004, 15:10
Expert's post
destinationUS wrote:
Hi

I would like to be a consultant in the field of telecommunications. Yes thats what i want to be though i have been thinking of my scope as a financial analayst or something similar. I have heard from my pals in the schools that once you are in, we come to know more career options and there is always a possibility of changing tracks.

cheers


There is quite a bit of difference between telecommunications consultant and financial analyst, but OK.

It is true that once you are in school you can change your mind or enter a different field, however for application purposes it is very important that you present yourself as an applicant with a clear, specific goal. There are some schools that would be good both in consulting or in finance, but other schools are stronger in one than the other. Some schools may have stronger ties to specific industries than others (UT and energy, NYU and Wall St for example). So you need to narrow your focus in order to convince the schools that you are right for them and they are right for you.

Even so, look into Indiana, Emory, Wake Forest, Cornell, and UNC.
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2004, 01:11
Dear Linda,

Thank you for your post. I had shortlisted Cornell, Emory & UNC earlier. Now that you have suggested the same i will be going ahead and applying in those schools for sure. I need to do some research in terms of rankings for Wake Forest, Babcock.

Is there any site ,which has the details of all schools like application deadlines etc , that can be used as a reference.

cheers
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Posts: 3281
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2004, 19:52
Hi,

I would suggest the following additional schools for student who are serious about finance

Rochester (extremely strong in economics and finance)

Ohio State

Vanderbilt (includes the law and business program below)

Law & Business Program
While Vanderbilt delivers a finance education that is extendable into any career in finance, many students that enroll in the MBA program are pursuing careers in securities and investment banking. For this career, Vanderbilt offers an advantage that is unmatched by any other elite business school. In a recently developed program with the Vanderbilt Law School, students are now able to receive critical legal training in securities and corporate law through the Law and Business program. This does not refer to the JD/MBA program. Instead, this new program allows MBA students to take advanced law courses and avoid the 4-year time commitment of the Vanderbilt JD/MBA program. An example of courses in the Law and Business program include Securities Regulation, Corporations, and M&A Law and Finance. Combining the intellectual prowess of the Vanderbilt MBA program and the Vanderbilt Law School results in students that are superbly prepared for the demands of the securities markets.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2004, 22:16
Hi Hjort,

I was considering Rochester for sure. Let me check out Vanderbilt too. Could you help me out with B-schools for tech consultancy in addition to ones suggested by Linda.

How about INSEAD in my case.

Cheers
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Posts: 3281
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2004, 13:36
Hi again,

I would check out Maryland, Queen's, and Case Western if you have not done so already.

INSEAD is an impressive school with strong consulting hiring. However, I had the (possibly mistaken) impression that you were concentrating on near elite and transelite schools.

Hjort
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4847
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 64

 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2004, 16:26
Expert's post
destinationUS wrote:
Dear Linda,

Thank you for your post. I had shortlisted Cornell, Emory & UNC earlier. Now that you have suggested the same i will be going ahead and applying in those schools for sure. I need to do some research in terms of rankings for Wake Forest, Babcock.

Is there any site ,which has the details of all schools like application deadlines etc , that can be used as a reference.

cheers


The Busnessweek sitehas alot of information, but it doesn't have in one spot the questions and application deadlines. Frankly, your best bet is to go to the schools' sites directly and download the information.

Good luck!
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Hi abiswas 0 30 Jun 2008, 09:30
hi rbcola 2 25 Sep 2006, 07:46
hi dev_tej_kohli 0 03 Jul 2006, 02:36
Hi shiana_k 3 29 Jun 2005, 09:30
Hi!! Steven 2 25 Apr 2005, 06:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

hi there

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.