Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 12:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How can I get better?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How can I get better? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2004, 14:25
I took the GMAT a year ago and got a score of 680(78%Q,90%Q) after I had studied for a weekend.
I am taking the test in 3 weeks to improve my Q score( I need 90+percentile). I took a PP and PR test and got around 660 again. I guess that just validates my previous score. Now I'm just wondering on how I can get better. I am going to start keeping track of all my errors. Not sure where to go next?? Do the Kaplan Math problems or do all of OG? The only concern with doing OG is that I wont have a valid predictor of my score as I get closer to the test date. Please help! What about 800score? or deltacourse?? So many choices!

Cheers,
Sid
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2004, 21:37
Hello Sid

Have you always been good at math? if yes, then maybe you can simply participate in the forum and see to it that you get good practice everyday. consider participating in our math challenges regularly and i am sure you will see an improvement in your performance. Otherwise, work very hard on your concepts. A 49-50 quant is not impossible, but needs a lot of work.

my favorite line: ETS makes a living out of developing incredibly intelligent questions. You can never prepare for such questions. But you can definitely stengthen your concepts. Guys like me end up with 48Q not because we are bad at math; its simply a combination of poor conceptual learning and pressure while taking the exam.

I have not used 800 score /deltacourse...so cant talk about that. At this time, your focus should shift away from the temptation of taking practise tests. focus on your errors, focus on your concepts and take practise tests only when you are close to your test date. dont get me wrong, practise tests serve a good purpose; purpose of giving you a feel of the real thing and preparing you mentally for the 4 hour grind. But other than that, never take practise scores too seriously. Its not a good prep strategy to rely on practise scores because its incredibly difficult to develop the kind of questions that ETS develops and its simply too difficult to replicate the enviroment on test day.

one of the options you may want to consider is Manhattan GMAT's online archives. I have access, but i want to keep it for my reference. Its some tough tough problems. It improved my concepts a fair bit and i definitely benefited from it. its difficult quantify how much a prep tool increased performance, its just my opinion.

you mentioned that you are going to study errors. thats a good thing to do. As i say regularly, i would rather STUDY few hundred problems carefully and completely than practice without keeping track of progress. I think improving by studying errors is the most effective way of practise.

hope this helps
praetorian
Intern
Intern

Timing [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2004, 10:15
Thanks a lot prat for taking the time to reply to my post!!
I always seem to run out of time. Usually I have 3-4 questions left at the end. I think it is because I dont like giving up on any problem. I almost always create equations too, rather than look for shortcuts.
Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve my timing?? Should I just set a limit of 2 mins for each question when I practise and take tests?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 781

Re: Timing [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2004, 21:33
sid89 wrote:
Thanks a lot prat for taking the time to reply to my post!!
I always seem to run out of time. Usually I have 3-4 questions left at the end. I think it is because I dont like giving up on any problem. I almost always create equations too, rather than look for shortcuts.
Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve my timing?? Should I just set a limit of 2 mins for each question when I practise and take tests?

I assume you are asking about quant timing.

We all work out slow and then pick up momentum gradually. i recommend you do the same here.

Beginning : Set a time limit of 2.5 mins per question.
( remember , at the beginning , you are studying, not practising)

After 100-150 problems , set a time limit of 2.0 minutes per question

After 200 problems, set a time of 1.5 minutes per question. IMO, this reduced time might help take simulate the stress that you will be in on test day

Whatever you do, never ever forget that the objective of practise is to eliminate errors and to check your self on timing. please do both together.

I hope this works for you. This is close to what i did for my prep, but obviously , what works for me may not work for you.

Thanks
Praetorian
Intern
Intern

Good statement [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2004, 11:57
Whatever you do, never ever forget that the objective of practise is to eliminate errors and to check your self on timing. please do both together.

This was a good statement. Can't be stressed enough. I know this from first hand experience of not doing it enough.

Davefor MBA

Good statement   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2004, 11:57