Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How GMAT works ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How GMAT works ? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2003, 07:29
Does anyone know how the GMAT technicals work ?

1. Is the exam run off the local network or the local PC, at the exam center ?
2. What is the GMAT database of questions like ?
3. Is the exan run off a CD or something else ?
4. How often is the GMAT question bank updated ?
5. Do different regions of the world have different levels of difficult questions ?
6. What algorithms are used by the GMAT engine to dispense questions ?
7. Are GMAT questions adminstered on the basis of race, region or sex of the participant ?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8208 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How GMAT works ? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2003, 10:44
Expert's post
I don't think anybody knows, but some things can be guessed with a pretty good accuracy rate, so I will try to reason logically and we can debate then.

Quote:
1. Is the exam run off the local network or the local PC, at the exam center ?

Most probably the tests run off the network. This would make updating content much easier. Each month, GMAC updates the tests and new questions are posted. It does not seem there are any reasons to run GMAT locally on each computer. Administrator has access to each test/etc, so probably that is implemented easier if the network is involved.

Quote:
2. What is the GMAT database of questions like ?

I don't really know why you want to know this. I never did :oops:
So, I never gave a thought to this question. My best shot is that it is about 200 math and 200 verbal questions and they are ranked by difficulty. Part of these questions used to be experimental or perhaps all of them, but i doubt - that is a too big risk for GMAC.

Quote:
3. Is the exan run off a CD or something else ?

Off the Server.

Quote:
4. How often is the GMAT question bank updated ?
Every 30 days; it is completely rebuilt

Quote:
5. Do different regions of the world have different levels of difficult questions ?

Good question. I think there are differences in different regions, but i don't think difficulty is one of them. It is possible that experimental questions are rotated world-wide, but I don't think difficulty is different. GMAC tries to make things equal a way too persistently - they sent me a large letter yesterday complaining that somebody posted a real GMAT question on this Board and requesting to take it off. It would be really unfair to do something like varying difficulty levels. It is more from the land of politics than educational testing services.

Quote:
6. What algorithms are used by the GMAT engine to dispense questions ?

I wish I knew this one. I am sort of working on this, but there are only guesses. The easiest one is that if you miss a question, you get an easier one, and if you get the question right, you get a harder one. It seems that GMAT has points assigned to individual questions, so if you get a hard one right, you get more points added to your score and if you get the hard one wrong, you get less points subtracted than if you got an easy one wrong.

Quote:
7. Are GMAT questions adminstered on the basis of race, region or sex of the participant ?

:lol: I think that would be impossible.

-=-=
Eternal Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2003, 11:38
Yeah, and I'm a watchbear out for watchdogs. Bears, their funny creatures :lol: :-D
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Thanks [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2003, 09:01
Thanks for your detailed response.
Thanks   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2003, 09:01