Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How low is too low for quantitative

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How low is too low for quantitative [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 16:12
Hello Scott and Omari,

I just took the GMAT and am not pleased with my quantitative score and am wondering if I should retake the test. My overall GMAT was 690 (91%), Quantitative 41 (64%), and Verbal 44 (97%). I was graduated from Brown University with a degree in Biology (GPA 3.79), and I had course work in calculus (A), biostatistics and data analysis (B), Physics (B), and honors thesis research (A). I have worked for four years as an analyst at an environmental consulting firm. My understanding is that having a quantitative academic and work background can mitigate a poor quantitative score, but I am not sure I have enough. The schools I plan to apply to are Harvard, Yale, Columbia, UMich, and Berkeley. Given these schools, should I retest?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 18:07
Tough call. Based on the information provided, you're competitive (>50%)at Michigan and Yale, 50/50 at Berkley and <50% at HBS/CBS. So depending how comfortable you are with those odds at those schools, and how much of a burden it would be to retest and complete apps, should drive your decision.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2005, 04:17
I have a follow up question. What kind of score increase on the quantitative would merit a retest?

Thanks again for you help.
Intern
Intern

retake GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2005, 10:02
What did you end up doing and what were your reasons? I am in a very similar situation as you and trying to decide what is the best course of action.

I scored a 700 with 96% on verbal and 70% math. I am an engineer and was surprised about the math score. I think the low math score was more a time management issue than working the problems, b/c I studied the math section. I just took the test last week and thought of re-testing this next weekend to try to raise the math, but the risk of a lower overall score is concerning as is having two scores rather than just one.

Thanks for your thoughts Mike
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2005, 17:39
If the original poster thought he/she could boost the quant score up to the 70% that would probably merit a retest.

Schools take the top score, so the main risk of retaking the exam is expending time in preparation that could be used on other areas of the application.

http://www.mbagameplan.com