Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How much time off?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 67

GMAT Tests User
How much time off? [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 09:53
I'm curious how much time off current students/alums feel is really needed before starting the program to get into the right frame of mind and not going to school burnt out. My company is asking my to stay until the first week of August (and offering $$ to entice me). Any thoughts?
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: How much time off? [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 10:03
well its going to be different for everyone.
Consider this: these days may not come back for a while, money is nice but you'll make that during your internship and full time job post MBA. You have a plenty of time to work hard, not nearly enough to live life. I say take off even if you dont "need" to.
Go to a place you have never been, live life a little bit, visit some friends.
Youre a smart guy, youre not going to get school burnt out. Do a month, do a weekend what ever. I would be less concerned with preparing for the "mental rigors of b school" and more focused on having some fun before school starts.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: How much time off? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 22:46
I would agree, take at least some time off, but how much depends on you. I have taken time off between all of my job transitions and I'm so happy I did. The first time I did a road trip of the US and Canada (amazing trip, highly recommend, except that gas prices suck right now); the second time I went to the Netherlands, Greece, and Hungary. When I started work, I felt more relaxed and happy.

I'm planning to take some time off before I start my MBA as well (about 2 months). Like jordan said, you have the opportunity now, so if you can, you should take it.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: How much time off? [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2011, 08:09
The way I see it is that this is one of the few employment gaps that you will never have to explain so take advantage of it. I'm taking 2 months off before school starts but I know many classmates who are taking significantly more time off and others who are working right up until school starts.

FindIt - http://www.getfindit.com

My blog - http://www.shoescount.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 14

Re: How much time off? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 22:32
I am in the midst of a pre-MBA sabbatical and every alum I talked to said that should be my top priority before B-school. You can justify it in the way that you can reach out to alum, wrap your head around your future goals and do some informational interviews without the scheduling stress of doing so after work.

To look at it the other way, there are plenty of travel opportunities baked into most MBA programs and I would argue those trips are more valuable than going on a trip alone. If the extra money means you will be able to participate more fully in your MBA program you can justify working later that way. I think at minimum you should be in your new hometown 2 weeks prior to the start of your program just to handle logistics and relax a little.

Becky
Re: How much time off?   [#permalink] 13 Jun 2011, 22:32