Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

how to determine co-relation between two sets?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 13

how to determine co-relation between two sets? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 02:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Is the corelation positive, negative, Strongly positive,Strongly negative? Is there any solid quantifier by which we can differntiae betwen a strongly (+/-) and a regular +/- co-relation?
Thanks.

I am posting one table from gmatprep, what is the co-relation between the two columns viz. b/w no of lanes and avg customer age.?

Attachments

File comment: table
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 6.08 KiB | Viewed 723 times ]

Whatever one does in life is a repetition of what one has done several times in one's life!
If my post was worth it, then i deserve kudos :)

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: how to determine co-relation between two sets? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 02:20
I took this test too. The answer is "negative correlation...", but I don't understand how
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Said (D)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Sales (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 19

Re: how to determine co-relation between two sets? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 08:22
The easy way to remember is:

If, in average, x goes up/is high and y goes up/is high => positive corr
If, in average, x goes up/is high and y goes down/is low=> negative corr
and vice versa

Hodor?

Kudo!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: how to determine co-relation between two sets? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 23:29
I think we can explain the answer like this:

3 stores with 0 self-check lane, and the average customer ages are 50.50, 38.80, 56.70 respectively.

-> So: 0 lane - (50.50 + 38.80 + 56.70)/3 = 48.66 average age

3 stores with 4 self-check lanes, and the average customer ages are 34.50, 32.00, 42.50 respectively.

-> So: 4 lanes - (34.50 + 32.00 + 42.50)/3 = 36.33 average age

2 stores with 6 self-check lanes, and the average customer ages are 28.40 and 34.60 respectively.

-> So: 6 lanes ; (28.40 + 34.60)/2 = 31.5 average age

1 store with 8 self-check lanes, and the average customer ages is 29.90

--> negative correlation.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1184

Kudos [?]: 3142 [0], given: 176

Re: how to determine co-relation between two sets? [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 04:42
Expert's post
Well the answer is indeed negative correlation. We can follow this approach to conclude whether correlation is +/- or null. Since # of lanes is already arranged in ascending order, you may roughly draw a line graph per the Average customer age values on scratch paper as shown in the image below.

Now next step is to visualize a trend line. The given trend line descends from Top right hand quadrant to bottom left hand quadrant. This means when the values of # of lanes are rising, the corresponding Average customer age values are decreasing, hence a case of negative correlation.

e-GMAT has launched 15+ hours of interactive audio visual content on IR. IR questions that are true reflection of Official Guide questions. It encompasses 35 concepts, 120+ original questions, and 2 full length Mock Tests.

Should you wish to see couple of questions on correlation with an interactive audio-visual solutions, pl. visit e-GMAT free trial.

-Best Regards!

Shalabh Jain

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Re: how to determine co-relation between two sets?   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2012, 04:42