Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 07:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to get over 750?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How to get over 750? [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2004, 04:13
Hello,
I am new to the forum... but like all of you, I have an unstoppable desire to get a high, really high grade into the GMAT. I want to go to Harvard, and I need over 750 in GMAT.
I have started studying and already went through 7 books for the Math Section.
I would like to receive advice from the people that got really high scores... How did you do it? What helped you? What learning strategy/books do you recommend? Which websites?

Please, help with your advice. The GMAT exam is one of the most important steps in one's career.
Thank you in advance,
Ioana
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2004, 06:45
Expert's post
I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but I first want to say that you DEFINITELY do not need a 750 GMAT score to get into HBS. The majority of students at HBS (or at any school) have a score below that number. If you're thinking that you need a really high score to overcome a weakness in another part of your app, that strategy usually doesn't work (except for in a few situations such as when you have a poor undergrad GPA in quant-type courses). If you have an application with some serious holes in it, adcomms are unlikely to turn a blind eye just because of a good GMAT score, no matter how high it is.

Having said that, the best advice that I can give you is to start early, and to spread your studying out over a long, long time. (It sounds like you're doing this.) Books are enough for a lot of people. I only used books (specifically a Kaplan book and the Official GMAT Guide). For others, a course is good because it helps them focus on a particular area, and it forces them to stick to a strict schedule. This latter point is important for busy people or for those who have a hard time gettingt motivated to study.

I didn't use a course, but I mainly know people who have used Princeton Review, Veritas, and Kaplan, and they have usually been satisfied. In instances when someone wasn't satisfied, it was usually because of a specific instructor. Integrated Learning is another GMAT prep company that we partner with. I don't know any of their customers personally, but they're pretty well regarded.

I did use some other web sites and free software that I found on the Web, but in many cases the questions weren't written very well (i.e., they didn't mimic actual GMAT questions accurately).

Good luck,
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2004, 07:06
Scott,
Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. There are several reasons for which I aim for such a good score:
1. I would like to get full sponsorship.
2. My GPA is 3.8 (which you may think that is great... but it is not for full sponsorship)
3. My fiancee got 780. He is starting his PHD next year at Harvard on full sponsorship. I need to live up to his expectations. :) He already has 2 MBAs from MIT and another master degree.

I plan to take the exam in December (middle of the month). I am really good at Math (because I used to work as a Math Tutor for 2 years). However, I am not an American... so the English part is going to kill me for sure. I can dedicate an average of 3 hours a day for studying (more in the weekend). Do you think that I have enough time to prepare for December's exam?

Thank you in advance,
Ioana
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2004, 08:25
Expert's post
Yup, you should have enough time to take the exam in December. Obviously you want to nail the verbal section of the test as well as you can, but keep in mind that your essays will be very important for the adcomms in measuring your English skills.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2004, 11:59
Hi,

The GMAT can act as a compensating credential for a low GPA within reasonable limits but one must remember to account for the ceiling effect of the test.

Regarding the verbal section, most of the test is not really a test of your English skills per se, but your ability to interpret verbal information. If one has high verbal facility in virtually any common language and a reasonable facility in English, Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning should be relatively easy. Sentence Correction, of course, taps a different construct (albeit one that is highly correlated with reading comprehension).

Hjort
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2004, 11:38
Thank you so much for everyone's advice. I am dedicated to study hard... and to keep in touch with all of you.
Best wishes,
Ioana