Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I failed...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I failed... [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2003, 04:25
dear all,

this is my first post here. actually I took gmat yesterday and the result is terrible. I got 550 (Q 50 V 16).

I have no idea why my verbal is so...low? the percentile is only 9%. (it seems that my answers are all incorrect)

I took kaplan twice (570, 550) and PR (700). I though I had prepared gmat well. but.....

I am very dissopointed about my score and I will take again in Sep.

but during this period of time...I really don't know how to prepare...it seems the method I used to practice is wrong...

can anyone give me an advice?

thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Instructor
Schools: Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2003, 06:21
I wouldn't say you failed by any means. A Q of 50 means that you are obviously bright and logical. A V of 16 is "explanable" by someone who is not english-speaking. You have the tools -- do you have the time?

I don't know where you are at as far as you English goes, in addition to whatever you do I suggest reading American newspapers like the NY times or WSJ everyday, or the Economist if you can get it. Reading passages of well written prose everyday will give your "ear" a sense of the proper language.

Good luck.

Best,

AkamaiBrah
Former Senior Instructor, Manhattan GMAT and VeritasPrep
Vice President, Midtown NYC Investment Bank, Structured Finance IT
MFE, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, Class of 2005
MBA, Anderson School of Management, UCLA, Class of 1993

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2003, 07:16
Hi Andy,

Your math is awesome. Great job. Stay positive, man. I am not sure what and how you studied for your verbal section. Focus on what you feel is your weak point. Your Kaplan and PR scores were good. Maybe you were just too nervous during the Verbal section of the real test. Take deep breath!! I know it's much harder in real situation. Stay focus and follow some advises from this forum. You'll rock next month.

Take care!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2003, 10:51
AkamaiBrah wrote:
I wouldn't say you failed by any means. A Q of 50 means that you are obviously bright and logical. A V of 16 is "explanable" by someone who is not english-speaking. You have the tools -- do you have the time?

I don't know where you are at as far as you English goes, in addition to whatever you do I suggest reading American newspapers like the NY times or WSJ everyday, or the Economist if you can get it. Reading passages of well written prose everyday will give your "ear" a sense of the proper language.

Good luck.

I completely agree with AkamaiBrah. You are by no means a 'failure.' Scoring a 50 on the quant shows that you are very capable of scoring well on the GMAT.

The problem area for you is in verbal. Next time around, you should focus in on the verbal section. You should not ignore the math section, but you should focus more of your energy on the verbal.

I agree with AkamaiBrah's advice about reading high-level english material, but I think that doing that will be more of a help with reading comp rather than the other sections (grammar and CR). You should read up on english grammar (like PR's *Grammar Smart*) and look through this website for advice on CR.
  [#permalink] 23 Aug 2003, 10:51