Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 03:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I have 670

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

I have 670 [#permalink] New post 06 May 2003, 00:40
I took the test in April. I got 670 (49/31) this time.

My thoughts:

Math part was difficult, but free from long calculations. All numbers were round and easy to deal with. No long decimals and the stuff. I had a couple of easy probability problems and the only problem with standard deviation. There were many hard DS problems, mostly from algebra. Hard problems started to appear from the fourth or fifth problem -- very soon. Geometry problems were of middle difficulty. As far as I remember, I had the only long word problem, or none at all. No overlapping sets.

Verbal part was easy save for SC. I had VERY difficult sentences right from the beginning and lost a lot of time by trying to get them right. But they continue to appear over and over again. Never did I see so many hard SC problems. Most of them contained difficult idioms and verb forms, such as to do/doing and so on. Probably I made a mistake somewhere in the first 5 problems and thus got 31. RC was easy; I had 4 short passages (1-2 paragraphs). But since I lost much time on SC, I had to guess the last passage. CR was easy as well, pretty much like that in Powerprep. I had one bold text argument.

The AWA topics were clear and understandable. No messy ideas. I managed to write either essay and had 10 minutes left for checking.

A friend of mine took the test some days ago, and also complaints on hard SC. Probably, it is a new trick -- to offer hard sentences.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2003, 02:40
Could you please compare your GMAT score with your POWERPREP tests.
Thanks.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2003, 02:56
I wasted PP for simple preparation. Don't do such a mistake. Nevertheless, I think that PP gives the best evaluation of one's performance.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 May 2003, 03:21
Stolyar, Congrats man.......everybody shares the same problem about the tough verbal part, especially SC & CR......but is SC so tough? How tough is it compared to OG? What is so tough about them? Are they long and confusing?

congrats again.....
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2003, 03:40
My sentences were much harder than those in the OG. I spent about 5 minutes on the second sentence.

RC and CR were somewhat like those in the OG.

I do not remember the idioms I had -- but they all were new. Lists of previous idioms do not help. Idioms are an insurmountable task for a nonnative speaker. One just has to know them.

It is my third attempt -- the best math score and the worst verbal one.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 May 2003, 05:11
Hi Stoylar,
Congrauts on your score. I dont know why but this score does not seem to reflect what you should have got. You deserve more than 670.

Your verbal skills are quite good. I have seen your posts and seen the strategy of yours behind handling those questiuons. So why is it that you still scored low.

What do you feel is your main problem area. Do you verbal is bad or Quant is bad.

I wish to hear from you, to learn more abt the test and common mistakes done on the test.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2003, 02:13
stolyar,
I wish you luck, man!
How are you preparing now? What do you do to overcome?
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2003, 03:40
Could you please share the standard deviation problem that
you encountered in the exam?
  [#permalink] 11 Jul 2003, 03:40