Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 07:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If we are forced to have local drug rehabilitation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
If we are forced to have local drug rehabilitation [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 05:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

39% (02:15) correct 60% (01:15) wrong based on 133 sessions
If we are forced to have local drug rehabilitation centers-and society has determined that we are-then society ought to pay for them.
Which of the following, if true, would weaken the above argument?

A) Drug rehabilitation centers are too expensive to be locally funded.

B) Many neighborhood groups support rehabilitation centers.

C) Drug rehabilitation centers are expensive to maintain.

D) Drug addicts may be unwilling to receive treatment.

E) A government committee has convinced many groups that local rehabilitation centers are ineffective.

I am way off in oblivion regarding this question, please help me understand the OA and the reasoning behind the answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 88 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Local drug rehabilitation centers [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
clearly E

First of all All options from A to D dont make any sense regarding the stimulus

In option E ....government, which is convinced that rehabilitation centers are of no use, is representative of society
Now the stimulus says that if society determined to have rehabilitation centers then we have to pay for them .....but this situation says that society (government) is convinced that there is no need of centers ....hence society now not determined to have centers....thus we dont have to pay........Hence correct answer.

Check this link

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/invite.do?in=NzYxOTkxJSMlRzF0NGJKQnllT1kzVmRmbTVBb2tLZ1Q4RA==

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/pages/rupeemail/images/joinImage.gif

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 4

Re: Local drug rehabilitation centers [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 10:55
This post received
KUDOS
zuberahmed wrote:
If we are forced to have local drug rehabilitation centers-and society has determined that we are-then society ought to pay for them.

E) A government committee has convinced many groups that local rehabilitation centers are ineffective.

Here the stimulus says that we are forced to have drug rehabilitation centers because society demands it. And if Society demands drug rehabilitation centers, then society should pay for them.

Premise: Society demands drug rehabilitation centers
Conclusion: Therefore, society should pay for drug rehabilitation centers.

In a weaken question, look for an answer choice that weakens one of the premises or the conclusion.

A) Is incorrect because even if they are expensive, the argument is that if society demands it, then society should pay for it. Expense of the centers doesn't weaken the premise or conclusion.

B) is incorrect because it strengthens the argument. If neighborhood groups support rehabilitation centers then it adds support to the premise that society demands these centers. It does nothing to weaken.

C) Shares the same problem as A.

D) is incorrect because the stimulus is only arguing that drug rehabilitation centers should be funded because society demands that they exist. Although D calls into question the effectiveness of having drug treatment centers, we need to focus on the argument in the stimulus. Don't stray too far from the reasoning in the stimulus or you'll get the answer incorrect.

E) takes two elements of society: 1) Government and 2) many groups and indicates that these two elements in society think the rehab centers are ineffective. Therefore, it calls into question whether or not society really demands local drug rehab centers. This is your correct choice.

Note that a correct answer choice in a weaken question doesn't have to disprove the stimulus' argument, it merely has to call it into question.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Local drug rehabilitation centers [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 20:50
I originally picked B, but now realize how stupid of an answer that was since it supports the argument.

vyassaptarashi wrote:
.....but this situation says that society (government) is convinced that there is no need of centers ....hence society now not determined to have centers....thus we dont have to pay........Hence correct answer.

Great explanation. In my head, I wasn't associating society to government. Now I know I should have and E is clearly the answer. Thanks.

GMAT Day: Nov. 19, 2011

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Local drug rehabilitation centers [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 13:00
I thought the answer would be B. How can we expect the term "socities" to mean "governement"

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 197

Re: If we are forced to have local drug rehabilitation [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 20:00
zuberahmed wrote:

I am way off in oblivion regarding this question, please help me understand the OA and the reasoning behind the answer.

Can someone explain why is option(B) wrong?if neighborhood groups support rehabilitation centers then also society need not pay for them..I thought this way...Please correct it if i am wrong..
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Wharton '17
GPA: 3.5
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 172

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: If we are forced to have local drug rehabilitation [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 12:00
zuberahmed wrote:

Well this is indeed a tough question but on the other hand, answer choices A through D are just nonsense. Sometimes one has to rely on POE even though E is not 100% clear. It is just the best answer choice among the 5 of them

Hope it helps
Take it easy ok?

J :)
Re: If we are forced to have local drug rehabilitation   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2014, 12:00