Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

indentifying participles vs verbs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

indentifying participles vs verbs [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 07:28
Can some please elaborate how can we know whether the verb from is a participle or a complete verb?

thanks
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 207

Kudos [?]: 303 [3] , given: 5

Re: indentifying participles vs verbs [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 19:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adineo wrote:
Can some please elaborate how can we know whether the verb from is a participle or a complete verb?

thanks

This can be very tricky, especially since the GMAT loves to use past and present participles as modifiers. I'll explain the 2 participles separately.

Present participle - It's relatively simple to distinguish between the verb form and modifier (or noun) forms on present participles. To be a verb form the participle needs a helping verb (to be). Without the helping verb, the participle is a modifier or noun.
Examples of verb form:
I am driving to school.
I am eating a PBJ sandwich.
Examples of noun/modifier form:
Driving to school is fun. [Noun]
Eating a PBJ sandwich, I made a mess on my shirt. [Modifier]

Past participle - This is a bit more difficult because the participle can be a regular verb, complex tense verb (needs helping verb), passive verb (needs helping verb) or modifier.
Examples of verb forms:
I worked all night long. [regular past tense verb]
I had purchased a car before the dealer dropped the price. [1st verb is complex with had helping verb, 2nd verb is regular past tense]
The unfortunate man was misdiagnosed by the sloppy doctor. [passive voice verb]
Examples of modifier form:
Planned for weeks in advance, the party was an enormous success. [participle starts a modifying phrase]
The rusted car was worthless. [participle modifies the noun]

This is tricky stuff. Spend some time getting comfortable with the different forms and pay attention to when the GMAT uses participles as modifiers. Modifiers are tested as a grammatical and meaning issue on the GMAT, so improving your ability to spot and understand modifiers will improve your score.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: indentifying participles vs verbs [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 09:20
KyleWiddison wrote:
I had purchased a car before the dealer dropped the price. [1st verb is complex with had helping verb, 2nd verb is regular past tense]
KW

Hi Kyle, I believe this is not correct. the 2nd verb is a Past Participle and not a regular past tense.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 207

Kudos [?]: 303 [0], given: 5

Re: indentifying participles vs verbs [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 06:07
Expert's post
mohish wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:
KW

Hi Kyle, I believe this is not correct. the 2nd verb is a Past Participle and not a regular past tense.

That is precisely why these '-ed' verbs are so tricky. The same word can be either verb or modifier depending on the usage in the sentence. "I dropped the ball." Here 'dropped' is a simple past tense verb. "The dropped ball was heavy." Here 'dropped' is a modifier for ball, not a verb.

I my example above, "the dealer dropped the price" is an independent clause with 'dealer' as the subject, 'dropped' as the simple past tense verb, and 'the price' as the object.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1238

Kudos [?]: 3419 [0], given: 183

Re: indentifying participles vs verbs [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 10:26
Expert's post
adineo wrote:

thanks

Hi there,
I'm replying prettey late on this. But they say "better late than never". :)
Please read the following article to have some clarity as to how to know if a verb-ed is averb or a modifier:
ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Re: indentifying participles vs verbs   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2012, 10:26