Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Inquiries!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Inquiries! [#permalink] New post 01 May 2010, 20:13
Hi! I was hoping to get help with the following inquiry.
I am a recent honors graduate (finance and accounting) from New Mexico State University with a 3.59 GPA. I was an international student (Mexican national) at that institution and very involved in extracurricular activities during my college experience such as being the senator for the college of business in student government, a delegate for model united nations (won 1st place in the NYC Conference out of 300 universities worldwide), business manager for the student radio station, and a member of the dancesport team (competitive ballroom and latin dance), etc.
I am really interested in applying to a top MBA program in 4 or 5 years when I get enough work experience. One of my big concerns regarding the application process is how much do Admissions Committees discriminate applicants based on the ranking of their undegradute institution? Assuming a good GMAT score (let's say 700+), and decent work experience, would I be competitive enough to get admission into HBS, Wharton, Stanford, or Chicago considering that I graduated from a lower ranked university?
Also, I'm looking into getting a part time Masters in Finance from one of the best universities in Mexico (ITAM) while working full time. My question was, does it help having another graduate degree in the MBA admissions process?
Any advice is welcome! Thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inquiries! [#permalink] New post 02 May 2010, 20:08
Expert's post
rezje wrote:
Hi! I was hoping to get help with the following inquiry.
I am a recent honors graduate (finance and accounting) from New Mexico State University with a 3.59 GPA. I was an international student (Mexican national) at that institution and very involved in extracurricular activities during my college experience such as being the senator for the college of business in student government, a delegate for model united nations (won 1st place in the NYC Conference out of 300 universities worldwide), business manager for the student radio station, and a member of the dancesport team (competitive ballroom and latin dance), etc.
I am really interested in applying to a top MBA program in 4 or 5 years when I get enough work experience. One of my big concerns regarding the application process is how much do Admissions Committees discriminate applicants based on the ranking of their undegradute institution? Assuming a good GMAT score (let's say 700+), and decent work experience, would I be competitive enough to get admission into HBS, Wharton, Stanford, or Chicago considering that I graduated from a lower ranked university?
Also, I'm looking into getting a part time Masters in Finance from one of the best universities in Mexico (ITAM) while working full time. My question was, does it help having another graduate degree in the MBA admissions process?
Any advice is welcome! Thank you!

Thanks for your inquiry. To address your questions:

1) While the reputation of your undergrad schools is a factor, you performed well there. Probably your GMAT will carry slightly more weight. In addition, coming from Mexico will likely help your chances. The fact that you graduated from New Mexico State is not a deal-breaker.

2) The graduate degree will help if it fits with your long-term goal, you earn good grades, and does not duplicate the course offerings of an MBA. As long as you do well, it sounds like your MS in Finance will do all the above. In addition, it will confirm that can perform in what is probably a more competitive environment than New Mexico State.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Inquiries! [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 14:33
Hello again Linda!

Thank you so much for your insight. I have other news (good I think), I got an offer from General Electric to enter their Leadership Financial Management Program in Mexico. Since it is a rotational program, I can't attend the Masters in Finance I mentioned before. Do you think this company and this program might help improve my candidacy for a top MBA program in the future? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and have a great day!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inquiries! [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 20:27
Expert's post
rezje wrote:
Hello again Linda!

Thank you so much for your insight. I have other news (good I think), I got an offer from General Electric to enter their Leadership Financial Management Program in Mexico. Since it is a rotational program, I can't attend the Masters in Finance I mentioned before. Do you think this company and this program might help improve my candidacy for a top MBA program in the future? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and have a great day!

Yes! GE's Leadership Program is very highly regarded. It will teach you a lot and enhance your resume. Congratulations!

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog