Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Interview Questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Interview Questions [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 18:33
There are two common interview questions that I have a tough time with even though I know that they're going to be asked. I recently had my 3rd interview and still don't feel comfortable with my answers. What sort of approach would you guys take to the following:

Have you ever had a disagreement with a team member and how did you handle it?

Have you ever had a team member who did not pull his/her weight and how did you handle it?

I've had an ok answer to this but I don't think it really gets at what they want to hear about how I would handle these situations in a study group environment. Thoughts?
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 18:41
dukes, I've no idea of your experiences so can't help you choose which to use and how to present it. However, some useful pointers would be:

a) Focus on the positive side of the experience whenever possible.
b) Balance the wish to sound like a good team player with the possibility of sounding arrogant / exaggerated. Eg: choose a rather small example from your everyday work rather than presenting a story of how the whole company was falling apart until you stepped forward and saved the day.
c) Try to show how you understood the other person's motives and act upon them.
d) Don't use an experience with and open end (eg: so we are still fighting on a daily basis with this person and it's becoming unbearable).
e) Don't use an experience where you had to raise issues to a higher authority for them to be solved.

Hope it helps. L.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 21:58
They also want to know your methodolgy for resolving these issues. Did you use logic to convince the other party? or did you have to reach a compromise by discussing each other's different perspectives? or did you simply use your authority / brute force? You get my drift...
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2007, 05:49
Adding to what Hosam said, I think part of "seeing how the interviewee thinks" is gauging their emotional intelligence. So I think it's important to include, as part of your story, that you understood why the person was the way they were. For instance, "I don't think so-and-so meant to be rude, I think they were just in over their head and were taking their frustrations out on me..." and then explain how you used this knowledge to bring them to your way of thinking.
  [#permalink] 27 Feb 2007, 05:49