Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 08:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is Age a factor for getting into a PT programe

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Is Age a factor for getting into a PT programe [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 22:44
This post received
KUDOS
Folks,

Wanted to take your opinion on whether age is a determining factor into getting into a PT MBA programe from Stern, Tepper, Sloan , Columbia. I am 35 with 10+ years of exp in IT and worked with top 2 consulting companies IBM , Capgemini . Had a solid career progression and have reached a point where in i believe i need more push to get to the next level . Hence decided to get my part time MBA. Have a BS degree from India (Mumbai University with a 2.9 GPA) and a GMAT score which is not that good (610 Q45 V 27). Planing to give my GMAT again.

But wanted to check whether age( planing to apply Spring 2010, by the time i complete i would be 38-39) would be a deciding factor in my application and whether i should consider opting for a EMBA instead. How much would a PT MBA help specially if i am making a decent 120k+ now. Can i think of taking a 180-200K jump post my MBA.
thnks for your replies!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: Is Age a factor for getting into a PT programe [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 06:21

Last edited by jzd on 23 Apr 2010, 06:19, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Is Age a factor for getting into a PT programe [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 01:51
rishi4you wrote:
Folks,

Wanted to take your opinion on whether age is a determining factor into getting into a PT MBA programe from Stern, Tepper, Sloan , Columbia. I am 35 with 10+ years of exp in IT and worked with top 2 consulting companies IBM , Capgemini . Had a solid career progression and have reached a point where in i believe i need more push to get to the next level . Hence decided to get my part time MBA. Have a BS degree from India (Mumbai University with a 2.9 GPA) and a GMAT score which is not that good (610 Q45 V 27). Planing to give my GMAT again.

But wanted to check whether age( planing to apply Spring 2010, by the time i complete i would be 38-39) would be a deciding factor in my application and whether i should consider opting for a EMBA instead. How much would a PT MBA help specially if i am making a decent 120k+ now. Can i think of taking a 180-200K jump post my MBA.

The average age for the PT programs you mentioned is around 29. There will be plenty of people older than you. 610 is bit low for the schools you mentioned. A good rule of thumb is a 40 point rule (your GMAT shouldn't be more than 40 points below the school's average).
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Is Age a factor for getting into a PT programe [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 06:06
This post received
KUDOS
Not sure how much of a determining factor it is, but I was admitted to Stern's PT program at 38. I am definitely one of the oldest in my class. Most of my classmates are late 20s, early 30s.

I think by the time you hit 35, EMBA is the more common path. It wasn't an option for me, but sounds like it might be for you. I'd explore that first.

I can say that my admission at Stern was probably assisted by my GMAT of 750 and decent undergrad GPA (3.35 in Math). You'll have a much better shot at any good program if you get that GMAT up. Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Is Age a factor for getting into a PT programe [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 11:48
rishi4you wrote:
Folks,

As far as your salary bump, you are looking for a 50% increase in salary after your MBA. That is unlikely especially because you are already making decent dollars. A person who made pre-MBA salary of $75K can often expect to get a 50% bump. But the salaries just don't climb very much after they hit your level (not in real value) UNLESS you get promoted to a senior level Director position or become an entrepreneur.

A $180K to $200K salary is definitely a C level (CTO, CIO etc) pay for small to medium sized firms. I would think an MBA from a leading school will help you but not immediately (unless you are already a senior level manager).
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern | Tepper | IESE | CEIBS | Anywhere that takes me!

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Is Age a factor for getting into a PT programe [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 20:24
This salary discussion is interesting. At what point does a PT MBA not worth it financially. Meaning, if you can make ~150K a year without a MBA, would a PT MBA from a school like Stern really help you financially all that much?

My understanding is that it would be hard to transfer to a banking or trading role after a PT MBA, so assuming you stay in the same line of work (management consulting, project management).. thanks guys!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

Re: Is Age a factor for getting into a PT programe [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 19:41
This post received
KUDOS
Age is not a factor for Stern. I applied at 43 and got in, while many are late 20's there are certainly classmates in there 30's and 40's, as well as the youngest person who is 22. The weekend program may skew a little older.
The more solid work experience you have and the stronger the rest of your application is the less GMAT matters, but it should be at least 610.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Is Age a factor for getting into a PT programe [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 05:56
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

1. Age not an issue -- mainly due to supply and demand. There is a lowered pool of PT applicants, if you have the credentials and the funding, your chances are as good as any.
2. PT mba gives you a good hedge -- the MBA should boost chances, both in your career track and out. Hard to predict what the market will be like when you come out, but at minimum, you'll have secured flexibility to switch into a different field.

Good luck!
Aveek Guha
Re: Is Age a factor for getting into a PT programe   [#permalink] 10 May 2010, 05:56