Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is my study routine ok?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2009
Posts: 115
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 3

Is my study routine ok? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2009, 02:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,

I am studying very hard for this challenge. Maybe the biggest of my life.
But, let me stop crying and say what I am doing:

Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays: Gym in the morning, 2h of studying at night.

Tuesdays and Thursdays: 6 am to 8am--> study, 9am to 6pm work. 7pm to 9pm--> study

Saturdays and Sundays (1): one CAT and about 12 hours of study
Saturdays and Sundays (2): one CAT and about 4 hours of study and see my girlfriend (L)

1 and 2 alternating

Party: none (not even my best friend's birthday)
Drinking: none (not even the well-known caipirinha once a week)
Travel: once a month 100miles, to see my girlfriend
Books: only literature in English (but thinking about GMAT anyway)
Newspapers: NYT, a local newspaper
Day off: no (since July, I am studying 7 days a week)

Wake up: 6 am every business day (before GMAT, I was used to wake up 7:30)
Sleep: 10 to 11 pm everyday (before GMAT, 0 to 0:30)

My question is: am I stressing over it?

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 96
Location: India
Schools: LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 6

Re: Is my study routine ok? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2009, 08:30
diogoguitarrista wrote:
Hello,

I am studying very hard for this challenge. Maybe the biggest of my life.
But, let me stop crying and say what I am doing:

Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays: Gym in the morning, 2h of studying at night.

Tuesdays and Thursdays: 6 am to 8am--> study, 9am to 6pm work. 7pm to 9pm--> study

Saturdays and Sundays (1): one CAT and about 12 hours of study
Saturdays and Sundays (2): one CAT and about 4 hours of study and see my girlfriend (L)

1 and 2 alternating

Party: none (not even my best friend's birthday)
Drinking: none (not even the well-known caipirinha once a week)
Travel: once a month 100miles, to see my girlfriend
Books: only literature in English (but thinking about GMAT anyway)
Newspapers: NYT, a local newspaper
Day off: no (since July, I am studying 7 days a week)

Wake up: 6 am every business day (before GMAT, I was used to wake up 7:30)
Sleep: 10 to 11 pm everyday (before GMAT, 0 to 0:30)

My question is: am I stressing over it?

Thanks


12 hrs in one day! thats a lot of study...

Pick your schools, evaluate your profile and figure out what kind of score will probably get you in.

Why stress it out for a 750 when a 680 can do fine?

its best you just concentrate on what your weak, you dont need to keep slogging over a section your gonna ace anyways :)

also the score is just one part of the application :wink:
_________________

The Legion dies, it does not surrender.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2009
Posts: 197
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Is my study routine ok? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2009, 12:11
diogoguitarrista,

Your commitment shows in the schedule; looks daunting but darn good. I think in someways its necessary to separate Men from Boys!!!

Every one has different tolerence limits; so if you are able to manage your focus keep it up; else mix up a few things here and there and make it more interesting...I do Sudoku when I feel I'm over my head! ... when I cant even solve Sudoku... than its time to break loose entirely.

Offcourse in your path as you come close to your test date; you may not have to strive hard on the basics but just focus on test taking aspects.

And if your philosophy is train harder than playoff so that playoff will be easier than training; you are doing your part good!!!

DC
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2009
Posts: 115
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: Is my study routine ok? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2009, 14:08
Hello guys

thanks to the ones who replied.
Well, actually when I said that I study 12 hours in Saturdays and Sundays, I meant I study 6 hours each.

I woke up today just smashed. Yesterday, I went to bed about 11pm (I had an appointment until 10:10).
My workday was not so good.

As my boss wants to see a 650+ until the end of the year, my time is running out. I scheduled another test for November 3rd.

Comments are welcome


PS: I would honestly be satisfied with a 680+, regarding my efforts...
(I used my entire vacation in this)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 909
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 18

Re: Is my study routine ok? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 02:46
Your commitment and your planning looks awesome...but hold on.. do you think the time you are studying is a quality time? in other words, do you think you are utilizing your allotted time in the best way, and improving your skills?? If yes then you are right on track...If no then I would say 2 hours can be equivalent to 6 hours !!..you are the best judge :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 497
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: Is my study routine ok? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 13:37
diogoguitarrista,

your plan seems amazing :shock:

I see a good point that is doing exercise. Exercise maintains your mind fresh and active.

however, my experience says that you can't maintain such effort for a long time. I'm not saying that you can't be sitting down for a few hours doing exercises, what I mean is that in order to have good-quality studying hours you need to rest

don't feel that a free day is a waste of time, you need to rest and to disconnect from GMAT word. Don't feel bad if one day you're tired after work and you decide to have a rest. Think that you need to be rested for studying.

My two cents

Regards and all the best :)
_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2009
Posts: 115
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: Is my study routine ok? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 06:35
Thanks Economist and Johnlewis

I decided to take a little break since Friday night.
My mind is refreshed. I was definitively crossing the line.
I was keeping this routine since July 15th (non-stop 7 days a week).
I will probably keep almost the same schedule in business days. I will try to find a specific day in the week to take a break (I am thinking about Fridays).

Let's see... I do not have much time :cry:

The good thing is that my boss knows how tough is this and he knows I am doing my best (he is an alumni from Tepper). However, maybe I will disappoint him if I don't score 650+ until the end of the year.

In this forum I feel like I am not alone :)

Let's give'em hell, Polecats!


JohnLewis1980 wrote:
diogoguitarrista,

your plan seems amazing :shock:

I see a good point that is doing exercise. Exercise maintains your mind fresh and active.

however, my experience says that you can't maintain such effort for a long time. I'm not saying that you can't be sitting down for a few hours doing exercises, what I mean is that in order to have good-quality studying hours you need to rest

don't feel that a free day is a waste of time, you need to rest and to disconnect from GMAT word. Don't feel bad if one day you're tired after work and you decide to have a rest. Think that you need to be rested for studying.

My two cents

Regards and all the best :)
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 909
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 234 [1] , given: 18

Re: Is my study routine ok? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 06:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
Dude, one small suggestion...dont do this because your boss wants you to do this...do it only if YOU want to do..the result will be more fruitful I guess :) Good luck.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Posts: 43
Location: Los Angeles
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: Is my study routine ok? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 19:16
wow your schedule does seem pretty hardcore.

My thoughts are pretty inline with everyone else's suggestions. Only point I'd like to emphasize is quality of study over quantity.

I've seen a lot of people put in a ton of hours and solve hundreds of problems with no score improvement. Make sure you keep an error log and make some notecards if you notice yourself repeating the same mistakes. IMO, the 15-30 minutes spent reviewing these notes everyday will give you the most return on time spent studying.

GL!!
_________________

Paul

Focused GMAT Prep
http://www.thegmatbootcamp.com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2009
Posts: 115
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: Is my study routine ok? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 09:44
GMATBootcamp wrote:
wow your schedule does seem pretty hardcore.

My thoughts are pretty inline with everyone else's suggestions. Only point I'd like to emphasize is quality of study over quantity.

I've seen a lot of people put in a ton of hours and solve hundreds of problems with no score improvement. Make sure you keep an error log and make some notecards if you notice yourself repeating the same mistakes. IMO, the 15-30 minutes spent reviewing these notes everyday will give you the most return on time spent studying.

GL!!


Hi GL, thanks for your opinion.

I just made another CAT (GMATPrep 1), and scored a 650 (46Q 34V).
I would be very happy if this score were real.
I am by far not happy because I tried GMATPrep at least four times (as far as I remember), even though I did not remember or have seen most of the questions.

Well, I guess I will try GMATPrep 2, which the highest score I had was 590 (4_ and 27V).
Thus, ending with a 650+, I will start doing the other CAT's

:)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2009
Posts: 28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is my study routine ok? [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 06:09
diogoguitarrista wrote:
GMATBootcamp wrote:
wow your schedule does seem pretty hardcore.

My thoughts are pretty inline with everyone else's suggestions. Only point I'd like to emphasize is quality of study over quantity.

I've seen a lot of people put in a ton of hours and solve hundreds of problems with no score improvement. Make sure you keep an error log and make some notecards if you notice yourself repeating the same mistakes. IMO, the 15-30 minutes spent reviewing these notes everyday will give you the most return on time spent studying.

GL!!


Hi GL, thanks for your opinion.

I just made another CAT (GMATPrep 1), and scored a 650 (46Q 34V).
I would be very happy if this score were real.
I am by far not happy because I tried GMATPrep at least four times (as far as I remember), even though I did not remember or have seen most of the questions.

Well, I guess I will try GMATPrep 2, which the highest score I had was 590 (4_ and 27V).
Thus, ending with a 650+, I will start doing the other CAT's

:)



Hey,
I have a question here, I am actually having my second attempt after less than week, Horaay ...scored 540 and I have to score above 570. I am targeting 600 this time ...I have to get it..
Anyway I have been doing GMAT prep and repeating them, scoring above 600 but I can't count on them since they have repeated question so do u consider GMAT preps ( repeated ones) as indicators for performance improvements
?????? I really need an answer
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2009
Posts: 115
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: Is my study routine ok? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2009, 15:41
rshawabka wrote:
diogoguitarrista wrote:
GMATBootcamp wrote:
wow your schedule does seem pretty hardcore.

My thoughts are pretty inline with everyone else's suggestions. Only point I'd like to emphasize is quality of study over quantity.

I've seen a lot of people put in a ton of hours and solve hundreds of problems with no score improvement. Make sure you keep an error log and make some notecards if you notice yourself repeating the same mistakes. IMO, the 15-30 minutes spent reviewing these notes everyday will give you the most return on time spent studying.

GL!!


Hi GL, thanks for your opinion.

I just made another CAT (GMATPrep 1), and scored a 650 (46Q 34V).
I would be very happy if this score were real.
I am by far not happy because I tried GMATPrep at least four times (as far as I remember), even though I did not remember or have seen most of the questions.

Well, I guess I will try GMATPrep 2, which the highest score I had was 590 (4_ and 27V).
Thus, ending with a 650+, I will start doing the other CAT's

:)



Hey,
I have a question here, I am actually having my second attempt after less than week, Horaay ...scored 540 and I have to score above 570. I am targeting 600 this time ...I have to get it..
Anyway I have been doing GMAT prep and repeating them, scoring above 600 but I can't count on them since they have repeated question so do u consider GMAT preps ( repeated ones) as indicators for performance improvements
?????? I really need an answer


Horayyyy
rshawabka,

when is your test?
How many times did you had these tests?
Did you have a steady or rough increase?

Thanks for your answer.

=)
Re: Is my study routine ok?   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2009, 15:41
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
GMAt study routine mikeusf 2 30 Jul 2012, 20:17
3 am i ok with my study schedule or pick up some speed? chamisool 6 28 Feb 2012, 11:53
OK if Seft study? phanquockiet 2 28 Oct 2009, 19:58
2 Is my study routine ok? diogoguitarrista 11 09 Oct 2009, 02:22
My RC strategy: is it OK? sandipchowdhury 0 05 Jan 2009, 04:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is my study routine ok?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.