Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is the Kaplan 800/Advanced required?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 52 [4] , given: 7

Is the Kaplan 800/Advanced required? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
Hello everyone! I'm preparing for the GMAT at present and am taking up the test on September 23rd. I have been preparing using the Kaplan basic version, the Official Guide and the Kaplan Math work book. I just started my preparation and am currently purchasing the material which I believe I'll require for practice.

I have purchased the Manhattan SC, CR and RC strategy guides (thought I haven't started using any of them as yet). I'm planning on getting the OG Verbal and Quantitative supplements, and another Quants book which is sold in my city. I'm fairly confident about Quants and I'm not too bad with Verbal. I'm aiming for a 650+ score, preferably 700+ if i can manage it.

My query is whether I will require the Kaplan 800, considering the number of books that I'm using. Since many people say that it does not actually contain questions that are of the 800 level, can anyone tell me whether it will be useful practice? I would like to work with the toughest questions and if not the Kaplan 800, which other book will provide me with such questions?

Further, if anyone says that I require the Kaplan 800, I would like to know whther the Kaplan Advanced book is better structured than the Kaplan 800 one. Since I live in India, I need to place an order for the book, which will take 20-25 days to arrive. So I need to decide now as to whether I need it.

Hopefully someone has the patience to go through this and answer my questions. Thanks a ton in advance!

Last edited by Praveen800 on 06 Aug 2009, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 417 [0], given: 56

Re: Is the Kaplan 800/Advanced required? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 12:29
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 52 [4] , given: 7

Re: Is the Kaplan 800/Advanced required? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 13:20
This post received
KUDOS
I am aware that the Kaplan advanced is the newest version/edition of the Kaplan 800 but I just wanted to know if there is any significant difference between the 2.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 417 [1] , given: 56

Re: Is the Kaplan 800/Advanced required? [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2009, 21:10
This post received
KUDOS
Believe me Praveen, there is no change at all. Not even a single page.

Btw, you can also check out the content of the book on Amazon, and if available probably you can have a preview as well and compare it with Kaplan 800.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 417 [1] , given: 56

Re: Is the Kaplan 800/Advanced required? [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2009, 21:19
This post received
KUDOS
Btw, I think you already have so many books, that you may not need Kaplan 800. My two cents:
1. Kaplan 800 has good verbal strategy, but still Manhattan SC is better and very detailed. I liked K800 for CRs, but then you have CR bible.
2. Kaplan 800 doesn't have much of Quants strategy, and since you are planning to buy so many other quant books, I think those should be sufficient.
3. In Kaplan 800, level of questions not equivalent to 800 level. Better concentrate on GMATPrep questions for that.

Anyway, overall Kaplan 800 is a very good book, a good supplement for practice and have good questions to practice on.

kaplan-gmat-800-good-or-not-73177.html

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: Is the Kaplan 800/Advanced required? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 12:16
i dunno - i've heard many conflicting reports about Kaplan . i think i'll pass on the 800 but may go for the premiere one
Re: Is the Kaplan 800/Advanced required?   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2010, 12:16