Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is work experience important for MSF program?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is work experience important for MSF program? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 07:49
I know that MBA students often have 4-5 years of work experience. However, when reading class profile of MSF programs, most students have 0-2 years of exp and the school even states that they don't require any work experience at all. So, is work experience important when applying for a MSF program?

I'll graduate in 2014, have one internship so far, and plan to apply for MSF program in my senior year. Should I apply next year or should I get some more work exp first?

Many thanks!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 29

Re: Is work experience important for MSF program? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 09:52
Have you looked at the class profiles of some of the schools you are thinking of applying to? Most of the top ones (Villanova, Vanderbilt, etc.) do not require work experience. You should really try to get at least another meaningful internship, as that will not only make you more competitive for MSF admissions, but also for full time recruiting.

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is work experience important for MSF program? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 13:10
commdiver wrote:
Have you looked at the class profiles of some of the schools you are thinking of applying to? Most of the top ones (Villanova, Vanderbilt, etc.) do not require work experience. You should really try to get at least another meaningful internship, as that will not only make you more competitive for MSF admissions, but also for full time recruiting.

Do you think that a good GPA, GMAT can offset the fact that you don't have a good internship? I haven't studied for the GMAT yet, that's why I still don't know if I should spend summer 2013 for GMAT or for internship....
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Is work experience important for MSF program? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 13:36
For such a specialized masters program, you need to show that you have a deep knowledge of and passion for this field. Most candidates do this through
some sort of work experience (either through internships or full-time). Other students show their passion and knowledge through excelling academically at either finance or some related field (mostly mathematics, economics or engineering).

Regardless of what your background, all applicants have to present (in their applications) a compelling story on why this degree as well as solid career plan. If this is missing or is not up to the level expected, then you might not achieve the results desired.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call us for a free candidacy evaluation.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Is work experience important for MSF program?   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2012, 13:36