Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kaplan CAT Errors?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 05-01-2013
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Kaplan CAT Errors? [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 08:38
i took a Kaplan CAT today and believe i encountered an error. not sure if the error is just in the explanation or if the answer is wrong also:

Is (x/y) < (1/3) ?

1. 0 < x < (1/12)
2. 0 < y < (1/4)

Obviously each statement alone is insufficient. but here is the explanation when addressing the statements together:
Insufficient. if x=1/8 and y=1/2, then both statements are true. in this case, x/y = 1/4, so the answer to the question is yes. if x=1/8 and y=1/7, then both statements are true. in this case, x/y = 7/8, so the answer to the question is no. the statements together are insufficient. E is correct.

Okay - so how can x=1/8 and y=1/2 if x<1/12 and y<1/4 ?? last time i checked this would make both statements false. i still think E is correct because if x=1/13 and y=1/13, then x/y is 1 which is greater than 1/3. answer=no. if x=1/50 and y=1/5, then x/y=1/10 which is less than 1/3. answer=yes. insufficient.

can anyone shed some light on this? do kaplan tests have errors frequently? or am i wrong and this is not an error?

thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Kaplan CAT Errors?   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2013, 08:38