Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kindly evaluate my profile..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Kindly evaluate my profile.. [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 10:14
Hi,

I gave my GMAT today and to my dismay my scores were below expectations. I was targeting a minimum of 740 but ended up with 710. The first obvious question that is haunting me is how bad is 710?

I am looking at doing a PhD from one of the top universities. Country wise I have no preference (US or Europe are equally good) but before deciding that I would like to have your views on my profile and suggest whether it is worth applying?

I have done my engineering in computer science from an average university in India. I have excelled in my acads through out my life. ( I was the top ranker in my college - 81%, max being 100%). After engineering I immediately did my MBA from a reputed institute (though not an IIM :( ) My specialization is finance and currently I am working with an IB (though not in finance, recession blues.. ) I was among the top students in my MBA too..

My ECs are not outstanding.. Though I have always been a keen and active participant but have never excelled on this front. I have volunteered for each and every culture event in my college and was in the core committee of a few events. I support one of the NGOs for animals. But that is pretty much it.

I have read that the average GMAT score for admission in PhD in a good school is 760 and this is what worries me. Moreover, I have no research background whatsoever.

I would be sincerely grateful if you could provide your valuable opinions on whether or not I stand a good chance of getting in a good school for Phd (by good I mean Insead, Stanford, NUS). Moreover, please do comment on my chances of getting into a MS in finance course (just in case I decide for it, cost being the factor driving me away from it). For MS I am looking at HEC / LSE / etc..Also I am really skeptical as to how MS Finance will add value to my MBA.. If you can throw light on this front I would be really grateful..

Also, please do tell me (and you can be brutally honest about it) how bad is 710 (49Q, 38V)

Please do give feedback as I my application process will, to a very large extent, depend on the answers I get.
I would be truly and sincerely grateful for your opinion.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Stanford GSB, Wharton, Insead, LBS, ISb
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kindly evaluate my profile.. [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 09:06
You should give your GMAT again and try for 750+
Re: Kindly evaluate my profile..   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2010, 09:06