Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 05:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

last week strategy?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2008, 20:52
folks..i desperately need last week advice..i am already going through a bad relationship, just way too much drama for me..i am due for my exam in a week..but all this relationship biznass is ruining my focus..

what can i do to clear out my head and remain sharp on the exam? this exam and mba is worth more to me than anything (except for my mom and sister) in this world..

so far i know my weak points...CR and SC are my nemisis.. and timing of course..

so far my gprep have been

G-prep-1 690(q49 v34) was distracted during verbal, fire alarm went off
G-Prep-2 690(q49 v34) samething distracted during verbal..
G-prep-1 720(q50, v38) (only 2-3 repeats)
G-Prep-2 770(q50 v45) lots of repeats
G-Prep-1 730(q49, v41) only 2 repeats
G-Prep-2 780 (q50 v48) only 3 repeats.

I got the weekend and a couple of days left..

***Update took gmatprep2 again (this time un-installed gmatprep) got 780 Q50 V48 <-- only 2 questions wrong..on the SC i got wrong i had it narrowed between the correct one and what i ultimately chose...

*** Update folks: I bombed it..got a 42 on Q.i am shocked.. V was no better..so i dont know what to do..i have never scored so low on Q..i couldnt sleep the night before at all and so come exam time was just staring at the screen blank at times..V would have been better..i felt i had to go to the bathroom pretty badly..was definetly bothering me, at the end..became impossible

i felt like i was doing horrible and i guess i should have just canceled the score..

anyways..i dont know what the next step is..what do i do about Q???

Last edited by FN on 23 Jul 2008, 16:47, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2008, 22:48
fresinha12 wrote:
this exam and mba is worth more to me than anything (except for my mom and sister) in this world..

Fresinha12, I like this reasoning. Just go out for refresh air, do the most you want to do, but do not forgot review your log at the end of the day.

Good luck!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 00:53
Fresinha I messed up my exam in April because of personal reasons too. It was quite a turbulent period for me too..

I will give you an honest suggestion from my personal experience.

If you currently spending a lot of time thinking on the personal issue rather than the GMAT, then it will make more sense to move the date ahead by a few weeks . Take a week to refocus, maybe just spend time away from where you are, if you can take leave for a week or so , just be with yourself , come back fresh and refocus on your GMAT test.

Dont overstress yourself in the last few days before the test.

Best of luck..
Current Student

Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 04:19
sondenso wrote:
fresinha12 wrote:
this exam and mba is worth more to me than anything (except for my mom and sister) in this world..

Fresinha12, I like this reasoning. Just go out for refresh air, do the most you want to do, but do not forgot review your log at the end of the day.

Good luck!

easier said then done...over the past couple of nites i have only slept 4hrs..and gmat is not whats keeping me up..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 06:28
fresinha

I was going through similar problems when i was scheduled to write.I postponed by a couple of months and it helped me.
You may not have the luxury of a few months time, but even a couple of weeks may help you.
You can also try some meditation for upto 5 minutes at a time. It helps especially when the mind is prone to wander due to bad thoughts.

Good luck!
getafix
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 7

Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 07:10
sondenso wrote:
fresinha12 wrote:

Good luck!

Fresinha... I wouldn't recommend you moving your dates. Everything will be alright... (I know its easy to say)... but trust me there is sth called GOD and you have to keep faith in it. Try to make the difference where you can .. if sth is not your hand you have to leave it to your luck. GMAT is IN your hands. Looking at the answers so far I have full faith that you will do GREAT in the test. Best of Luck!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 09:10
You have been doing a great job on GMATClub. You look fully prepared to me. So relax and have faith in your self.
You sure can do it.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 2

Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 13:36
Try to be here. NOW!
Practice this: Do not think about past tense and future tense.
The problems of life are bugging you becoz you are either thinking about past or about future.
STOP! practice present tense. NOW. If you can do it, you have won 90% of the battle.
Best Wishes!
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1849 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 16:02
Expert's post
Hi, Fresinha!

I have only one advice: forget your 780 GMATprep, fight for each question, for each peace of score, and think only about current question.

GOOD LUCK!

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 17:26
fresinha12 wrote:
over the past couple of nites i have only slept 4hrs..and gmat is not whats keeping me up

this problem made you not easier said than done. Throw it away, deep sleep will come to you!

Good luck!

Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 22:57
My advice for CR & SC:

CR - Do the CR questions on Paper Test 52, and then some CR on more paper tests. The CR questions on those paper tests are fantastic. OG10 is excellent as well. Again, do CR on Paper Test 52 -- they're ridiculously hard. But they will prepare you for the impossible CR's you'll see on the GMAT...

SC - Do questions out of SC1000. Best SC resource, period. The more you do, the better. Pay particular attention to the imperative (demands, commands, requirements, etc) and the subjunctive mood (remember to match if/were with would).

That's it pretty much. Make sure you review the mistakes you made on the GMATPrep's, based on the fact that your scores ranged from high 600's to high 700's, I would expect a mid 700 (730-760). GMATPrep does show a lot of repeats, especially when it comes to the passages.

Other than that, ignore the woman starting now, and get your sleeping in line so you're wide awake for the GMAT : ) Trust me, not getting enough sleep is brutal ;)
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 22:59
Also, if you can, try to do 1 practice exam a day (either GMATPrep or a Paper Test), and then the day before do nothing.

You'll definitely score in the 700's. Best of luck, let us know how it goes : )
Current Student

Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 04:47
hey guys..thanks...

where can i get the paper test 52?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 05:44
Current Student

Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 11:30
wow..you were right test 52 has really a*al CRs..i got 2 wrong out of 16..

number 16 and 10...

after re-reading i agree with OA on 16..but number 10 is another story..

StartupAddict wrote:
My advice for CR & SC:

CR - Do the CR questions on Paper Test 52, and then some CR on more paper tests. The CR questions on those paper tests are fantastic. OG10 is excellent as well. Again, do CR on Paper Test 52 -- they're ridiculously hard. But they will prepare you for the impossible CR's you'll see on the GMAT...

SC - Do questions out of SC1000. Best SC resource, period. The more you do, the better. Pay particular attention to the imperative (demands, commands, requirements, etc) and the subjunctive mood (remember to match if/were with would).

That's it pretty much. Make sure you review the mistakes you made on the GMATPrep's, based on the fact that your scores ranged from high 600's to high 700's, I would expect a mid 700 (730-760). GMATPrep does show a lot of repeats, especially when it comes to the passages.

Other than that, ignore the woman starting now, and get your sleeping in line so you're wide awake for the GMAT : ) Trust me, not getting enough sleep is brutal ;)
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 08:47
take walkers advice, fight for each question.

My prediction - You should get 49-50Q depending on what questions you get and for verbal, 48 verbal is nearly impossible in my opinion lol I think a more realistic number for you to get is 40V which would put you I assume at the 730-750 range. But don't take verbal for granted. Don't be shocked however if you get a 3* score for verbal (I was). That just seems to be the trend that I seem to see from practice to real exam from me and these boards.

You need to stay calm cool and focused. If you get rattled, you will not get your best possible score.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 08:50
Here is my strategy for the last week. Fresinha - don't you take it this Saturday? I took GMATPrep #1 yesterday and got a V48,V40 for a 710. I'm really trying to bring my verbal up to 43-44.

8-t67555

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Current Student

Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 10:31
so here is my last couple of days routine..

Sunday..didnt study much at all, just did CR on paper test 52...watched Dark Knights..yup man awesome movie and a tribute to heath ledger..
Monday- chillin..cant seem to get myself to study..so just going to review SC on purple book and paper test 52..review gmatprep mistakes..I have kept the log of all my old exams..i.e the .xact files..

will update as days go along..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 06:03
fresinha, I know you gonna kick some @ss during the exam. All the best to you! :-D
Current Student

Re: last week strategy? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 09:42
BCC145 wrote:
fresinha, I know you gonna kick some @ss during the exam. All the best to you! :-D

thanks man! Keep your fingers crossed..and hopefully next year i will see you at wharton ;)
Re: last week strategy?   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2008, 09:42