Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Law Student Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Law Student Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 02:45
Hi all,

I'm a current third year law student who is thinking about getting my MBA after a few years. Was wondering about my chances and what I can do to improve my profile.

College: T30
GPA: 3.55
Majors: Political Science/ Economics
Law School: T14
GPA: 3.4
GMAT: haven't taken yet. I got a 1470 on the SAT math + verbal, and 171 (97 percentile on the LSAT). Haven't done math in a while, but I used to be pretty good at it. Hopefully there is a slight correlation between these standardized test and the GMAT?
Leadership: Ran a bunch of clubs in college, but only did academic things in law school (i.e. I'm on two law journals, was a research assistant, etc.)
Work Experience: Worked as a summer associate at a major international law firm, and will be returning after graduation and working for a few years in the M&A or Corporate or Banking practice groups for a few years to pay off my loans before I pursue an MBA.

I want to get an MBA because I would like to work in the tech/ start-up/ VC industries on the business side, but I don't have any "business-y" or tech-related experience on my resume. I feel like i would need the MBA to get my foot in the door.

Any insight into how my profile might be perceived by schools? Also, what things should i be doing to improve my application? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited by rollwave on 10 Nov 2012, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Law Student Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 06:59
I work with a lot of law students who decide to change career direction after a few years of practice. The issue with pursuing an MBA degree after obtaining a law degree is that the knee jerk reaction is the view you as a terminal student. This places the additional burden on the applicant to present a compelling application on why they want to pursue a graduate business degree and how they envision their careers developing after this. This is not easy as there is already this preconceived notion built into your application -- however, far from impossible.

Starting off knowing your position means that you can adapt your application and admissions strategy from the start to overcome these stereotype.

As for your profile, you have the potential to get into a top ten program and I see very few weaknesses. I would try to beef up your more recent community service/extracurricular activity profile and try to gain some more recent leadership skills in this arena. I would also try to get involved in some sort of association of get some sort of affiliation that relates to your future career goals. And, of course, excel at your GMAT -- the higher your score the easier this entire application process becomes.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Law Student Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2012, 06:59