Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 13:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LBS anyone?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 99
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

LBS anyone? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 11:19
Is anyone here applying to LBS? I'm researching schools for R2 and LBS has peaked my curiosity. That being said this is still going to be a rushed application. Anyway, has anyone applied or is applying to LBS? I just signed on for their application, and my god, they have the most unorthodox application form. I really don't know how anyone can paint a remotely clear picture of themselves based on the application. They ask for so little information. On the plus-side, I think I can churn out the app in a weekend, which will leave me time to complete another R2 app (probably Duke) I'd like to hear opinions of people who have gone through the LBS app process.

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2006
Posts: 263
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 11:28
hi lich,
i am planning to apply for R2 as well.....
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 572
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 13:24
I'm applying R2. I thought their application questions were pretty standard. But I guess it depends on what you've already written for the other schools.

I actually did a campus visit awhile back and can honestly say that it was the best campus visit of the 5 or so that I've done. I mean this in terms of the access I got - the students were very friendly and after a class visit some of them even asked me to sit in on their group project work, so I got to see some of the deliberation and work that goes into simulation projects. The campus is very small but is awesomely located...Regents Park is one of the great parks of the world. However, I have not been very impressed with the way the school is being administered.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 99
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 14:22
dukes, can you elaborate on the last comment on why you aren't particularly pleased with the way the school is being administered.

I agree that the app doesn't ask any for anything different, what makes it unique is what it doesn't ask. There's no section on awards. part-time jobs, ECs, familiy info, etc. If anything the app seems too bare-bones.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 926
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 15:50
I am applyng R2.. And yes the app is very very small..

I am facing hte same dilema on how to include my extra- curricular activities in such a small online application.

Compared to LBS, Cornell's online applciation was more extensive, although the essays were just 400 words each..

i think lbs is a tough nut to crack
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 20:20
willget800 wrote:
I am applyng R2.. And yes the app is very very small..

I am facing hte same dilema on how to include my extra- curricular activities in such a small online application.

Compared to LBS, Cornell's online applciation was more extensive, although the essays were just 400 words each..

i think lbs is a tough nut to crack


LBS is one of those schools that you MUST visit before applying. I hear their admit rate was about 15% last year. Not surprising seeing how FT ranked them #4 worldwide.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 926
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 20:29
GMATT73 wrote:
willget800 wrote:
I am applyng R2.. And yes the app is very very small..

I am facing hte same dilema on how to include my extra- curricular activities in such a small online application.

Compared to LBS, Cornell's online applciation was more extensive, although the essays were just 400 words each..

i think lbs is a tough nut to crack


LBS is one of those schools that you MUST visit before applying. I hear their admit rate was about 15% last year. Not surprising seeing how FT ranked them #4 worldwide.


I cannot visit LBS, as I am here in US, with visa issues. I would have to go to India to get my visa paper stamped.. I would really like to visit LBS..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 99
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 20:41
Are you serious??? Where did you hear that you MUST visit to have a decent shot? And where are you getting this 15% rate?

I actually think the acceptance rate is closer to 40%.

Here is what I use to base my calculations
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/05 ... london.htm

Total Full-time MBA = 629, thus for incoming classing it will be 315 (LBS is a 2-year program)
Total number of applicants = 1467
Assume that LBS has a 50% yield (this is fair assumption, look at their yield rates, it decreasing every year)
So to fill a class of 315, LBS needs to accept approximately 630 people.
Thus 630/1467 roughly equals 43%.
Unless there are any glaring flaws in my calculations (or the numbers provided by BW is BS), I think my reasoning is sound, and I don't how you can possibly arrive at the 15% you quoted based on these numbers.

Yes, the data I am using is for 2005, but really do you think the difference is that drastic in 2006? I doubt it.

BTW, is everyone applying in R2 visiting or has already visited the school? I haven't and don't intend to.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 926
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 21:12
Lich,

R2.. Fingers crossed..
still working on the application system.. its a pain!!!!!!!!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 22:10
Lich wrote:
Are you serious??? Where did you hear that you MUST visit to have a decent shot? And where are you getting this 15% rate?

I actually think the acceptance rate is closer to 40%.

Here is what I use to base my calculations
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/05 ... london.htm

Total Full-time MBA = 629, thus for incoming classing it will be 315 (LBS is a 2-year program)
Total number of applicants = 1467
Assume that LBS has a 50% yield (this is fair assumption, look at their yield rates, it decreasing every year)
So to fill a class of 315, LBS needs to accept approximately 630 people.
Thus 630/1467 roughly equals 43%.
Unless there are any glaring flaws in my calculations (or the numbers provided by BW is BS), I think my reasoning is sound, and I don't how you can possibly arrive at the 15% you quoted based on these numbers.

Yes, the data I am using is for 2005, but really do you think the difference is that drastic in 2006? I doubt it.

BTW, is everyone applying in R2 visiting or has already visited the school? I haven't and don't intend to.


Wow, you really picked a bone of contention on this one. Well, according to my sources, your calculations do seem to be glaringly flawed.

According to the school's adcom manager, David Simpson, there is a HUGE discrepency in the stats that you cite.

I read archived Accepted.com transcripts which contain responses to a multitude of questions from current students and adcoms during the 2005 application season. Here are the transcripts of that chat:

http://accepted.com/chat/transcripts/20 ... 6_lbs.aspx

As you can see,

(1) When I say MUST visit the school, I mean every student who participated in this chat (and several others) really stressed the importance of visiting the campus at some point in time during the application process. Gaining admissions without a visit seemed to be an exception rather than the rule.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the case for most top programs?

(2) LBS received approximately 1800 applications for their full time program last year (varies depending on the transcript, but I have read 2100 in another transcript) and interviewed roughly half, admitted slightly less than a quarter, and yielded about one sixth of the overall applicants (~310)---> This figure can be confirmed on the school's website.

1800~2000, not 1467; 310, not 315. These numbers come directly from the adcom, current MBA students, and the school's homepage, not b-week, so go figure on who is correct? :?

1800~2000/310 is where I got that 15% figure from. I do stand corrected, it is the yield, not the acceptance rate.

Furthermore, from what I gathered, most LBS students are proficienct in two foreign languages other than English. Seems like a competitive program.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 99
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 23:55
GMATT73 wrote:
Wow, you really picked a bone of contention on this one. Well, according to my sources, your calculations do seem to be glaringly flawed.

According to the school's adcom manager, David Simpson, there is a HUGE discrepency in the stats that you cite.

I read archived Accepted.com transcripts which contain responses to a multitude of questions from current students and adcoms during the 2005 application season. Here are the transcripts of that chat:

http://accepted.com/chat/transcripts/20 ... 6_lbs.aspx

As you can see,

(1) When I say MUST visit the school, I mean every student who participated in this chat (and several others) really stressed the importance of visiting the campus at some point in time during the application process. Gaining admissions without a visit seemed to be an exception rather than the rule.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the case for most top programs?

(2) LBS received approximately 1800 applications for their full time program last year (varies depending on the transcript, but I have read 2100 in another transcript) and interviewed roughly half, admitted slightly less than a quarter, and yielded about one sixth of the overall applicants (~310)---> This figure can be confirmed on the school's website.

1800~2000, not 1467; 310, not 315. These numbers come directly from the adcom, current MBA students, and the school's homepage, not b-week, so go figure on who is correct? :?

1800~2000/310 is where I got that 15% figure from. I do stand corrected, it is the yield, not the acceptance rate.

Furthermore, from what I gathered, most LBS students are proficienct in two foreign languages other than English. Seems like a competitive program.


Wow some people here have no math skills. How in the world can you say my calculations are flawed? Let me ask you a question, do you actually know how to calculate acceptance rates?
Here's the formula I came up with:
numerator = desired class size for entering year/yield rate
denominator = total number of applicants
All I did was plug in the numbers from the BW site. I tried this calculation with other schools using the BW data and the results are in line with published data.

Here's the thing: judging from your posts I have strong reasons to believe you actually have no idea what yield rates are.
Your own data even supports this.
Okay so let's say LBS total applicant number in 2006 is 1800. Fine, that seems reasonable. We'll also use the 310 as the desired class size.

You seem to believe that the acceptance rate is calculated by taking 310 and dividing by 1800, which is roughly 17%. Of course, this is completely ridiculous because that automatically assumes that the yield will be 100%. Right....

LBS yield is in fact closer to 50%. So the real acceptance rate would be:
(310/0.5)/1800, which is rougly 34%. Either way you cut it, whether using the BW data or the numbers straight out of the adcoms mouth, the admit rate is closer to 40% as I stated in my original post and NOT 15% as you seem to insist, despite your own data contradicting you.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 926
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2006, 23:59
Lich wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
Wow, you really picked a bone of contention on this one. Well, according to my sources, your calculations do seem to be glaringly flawed.

According to the school's adcom manager, David Simpson, there is a HUGE discrepency in the stats that you cite.

I read archived Accepted.com transcripts which contain responses to a multitude of questions from current students and adcoms during the 2005 application season. Here are the transcripts of that chat:

http://accepted.com/chat/transcripts/20 ... 6_lbs.aspx

As you can see,

(1) When I say MUST visit the school, I mean every student who participated in this chat (and several others) really stressed the importance of visiting the campus at some point in time during the application process. Gaining admissions without a visit seemed to be an exception rather than the rule.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the case for most top programs?

(2) LBS received approximately 1800 applications for their full time program last year (varies depending on the transcript, but I have read 2100 in another transcript) and interviewed roughly half, admitted slightly less than a quarter, and yielded about one sixth of the overall applicants (~310)---> This figure can be confirmed on the school's website.

1800~2000, not 1467; 310, not 315. These numbers come directly from the adcom, current MBA students, and the school's homepage, not b-week, so go figure on who is correct? :?

1800~2000/310 is where I got that 15% figure from. I do stand corrected, it is the yield, not the acceptance rate.

Furthermore, from what I gathered, most LBS students are proficienct in two foreign languages other than English. Seems like a competitive program.


Wow some people here have no math skills. How in the world can you say my calculations are flawed? Let me ask you a question, do you actually know how to calculate acceptance rates?
Here's the formula I came up with:
numerator = desired class size for entering year/yield rate
denominator = total number of applicants
All I did was plug in the numbers from the BW site. I tried this calculation with other schools using the BW data and the results are in line with published data.

Here's the thing: judging from your posts I have strong reasons to believe you actually have no idea what yield rates are.
Your own data even supports this.
Okay so let's say LBS total applicant number in 2006 is 1800. Fine, that seems reasonable. We'll also use the 310 as the desired class size.

You seem to believe that the acceptance rate is calculated by taking 310 and dividing by 1800, which is roughly 17%. Of course, this is completely ridiculous because that automatically assumes that the yield will be 100%. Right....

LBS yield is in fact closer to 50%. So the real acceptance rate would be:
(310/0.5)/1800, which is rougly 34%. Either way you cut it, whether using the BW data or the numbers straight out of the adcoms mouth, the admit rate is closer to 40% as I stated in my original post and NOT 15% as you seem to insist, despite your own data contradicting you.


GMATT73 did not include yield rate in his equations........... that was it..

BUT The yield rate is debatable.. Where ddi you get 50%... I wont be suprised if you are right.. because many people would apply LBS as backup to top 5 American schools.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 99
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2006, 00:23
willget
I've already post the link for my calculations here
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/05 ... london.htm
As you can see LBS's yield rates have been falling. Based on this data I think it is reasonable to assume that LBS's current yield is about 50%.

Also, if you're bored you can go to the admissions411 site and click on the profiles of candidates that got accepted in LBS and see whether they eventually matriculated. Most chose other schools over LBS. BTW according to admissions411 the acceptance rate in 2008 for LBS is 47%, and so far in 2009 it is 44% (remember to use only the R1 applicants for the denominator). Of course, this is from a rather small sample size, but still I have a hard time seeing the 15% acceptance rate quoted by our friend.

Just to be clear on something, I think LBS is a wonderful institution. Heck, I wouldn't be applying there if I didn't so. I'm only posting this because I find GMAT733 posts to be highly misleading. Also I think his math needs some work...
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2006, 00:55
Lich wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
Wow, you really picked a bone of contention on this one. Well, according to my sources, your calculations do seem to be glaringly flawed.

According to the school's adcom manager, David Simpson, there is a HUGE discrepency in the stats that you cite.

I read archived Accepted.com transcripts which contain responses to a multitude of questions from current students and adcoms during the 2005 application season. Here are the transcripts of that chat:

http://accepted.com/chat/transcripts/20 ... 6_lbs.aspx

As you can see,

(1) When I say MUST visit the school, I mean every student who participated in this chat (and several others) really stressed the importance of visiting the campus at some point in time during the application process. Gaining admissions without a visit seemed to be an exception rather than the rule.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the case for most top programs?

(2) LBS received approximately 1800 applications for their full time program last year (varies depending on the transcript, but I have read 2100 in another transcript) and interviewed roughly half, admitted slightly less than a quarter, and yielded about one sixth of the overall applicants (~310)---> This figure can be confirmed on the school's website.

1800~2000, not 1467; 310, not 315. These numbers come directly from the adcom, current MBA students, and the school's homepage, not b-week, so go figure on who is correct? :?

1800~2000/310 is where I got that 15% figure from. I do stand corrected, it is the yield, not the acceptance rate.

Furthermore, from what I gathered, most LBS students are proficienct in two foreign languages other than English. Seems like a competitive program.


Wow some people here have no math skills. How in the world can you say my calculations are flawed? Let me ask you a question, do you actually know how to calculate acceptance rates?
Here's the formula I came up with:
numerator = desired class size for entering year/yield rate
denominator = total number of applicants
All I did was plug in the numbers from the BW site. I tried this calculation with other schools using the BW data and the results are in line with published data.

Here's the thing: judging from your posts I have strong reasons to believe you actually have no idea what yield rates are.
Your own data even supports this.
Okay so let's say LBS total applicant number in 2006 is 1800. Fine, that seems reasonable. We'll also use the 310 as the desired class size.

You seem to believe that the acceptance rate is calculated by taking 310 and dividing by 1800, which is roughly 17%. Of course, this is completely ridiculous because that automatically assumes that the yield will be 100%. Right....

LBS yield is in fact closer to 50%. So the real acceptance rate would be:
(310/0.5)/1800, which is rougly 34%. Either way you cut it, whether using the BW data or the numbers straight out of the adcoms mouth, the admit rate is closer to 40% as I stated in my original post and NOT 15% as you seem to insist, despite your own data contradicting you.


Perhaps so, but I never cited glaringly inaccurate statistics. ~17% referred to the overall percentage of applicants that eventually enrolled in fall 2006. I stated I made an error in yield to begin with in the previous post. Yield, in the context of b-school admissions, is the percentage of accepted applicants that end up enrolling. Fine, that point is settled. I admitted my calculations were flawed.

But then you had to insist on exacerbating the issue.

Seeing how you say some people here have no math skills, then we here at GMATClub ask you this:

How did you arrive at your 50% yield rate for admitted students?? How do you know that? Where did you get that figure from? How do you know for sure that fewer students are accepting offers at LBS every year as you claimed earlier?

I used hard facts from the school itself. You made broad assumptions based on what you think should be correct.

Wow, some people (in general) are quite presumptuous, aren't they.

For future reference, I suggest you look a little beyond the numbers put up by business week.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 572
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2006, 05:38
Acceptance Rates:
2001 - 26%
2002 - 19%
2003 - 26%

Yield Rates:
2001 - 74%
2002 - 58%
2003 - 53%

Lich's way of calculating the acceptance rates probably isn't that far off, but if you adjust the applicant number up a bit and don't assume the worst about the yield rate, then you get something around 25%, which is a reasonable number to expect and somewhat consistent with history. I have also heard alot about about how visiting the school really helps. When you look at those yield rates it makes sense that they would start looking for ways of identifying folks who really want to come there.

To answer Lich's question: Using the word "administration" might have been too broad, but I guess the impression that I got was that things weren’t as sophisticated/professional/polished compared to what I saw at US schools. It's mostly a bunch of small stuff that adds up. For example, the school is very behind the times in terms of facilitating access to the alumni network and using the alumni network to promote the school. Instead, I was told, everyone joins the Ruby club to make job connections.

They were also very unaccommodating and unresponsive when it came to setting up a visit. One the one hand they say that campus visits are important, but information about how to do a class visit is buried somewhere on their relatively poorly designed web-site and not advertised in any of their other materials. The only thing they openly offer is a 45 minute info session which is pretty bad when you expect folks to make trips from all over the world to visit your school. When I went to the info session I was the only one (of about 15) who knew that class visits were available and when the other prospects asked about it the adcom gruffly told them that they had to request a class visit at least x days in advance. Keep in mind that most of the folks there had already traveled to the UK to visit the school and likely didn't have time to stick around for another week. No other school made that difficult to attend a class. My impression might also be overly colored by the unfriendly adcom who ran the info session.

Also, one of the promotional materials that they have on their web-site are some fairly ghetto videos from circa 2002 where you can hear students talk about what a rough time they’re having with their job search. Altogether, it didn’t seem like they put the kind of effort and thought into promoting the school brand as US school do. (I had also read about this a little bit in the Vault MBA buzz book).

That sounds like a negative write-up but I actually had a good time. LBS definitely has the nicest students of all the school visits I did and the fact that it’s so small makes for a very cozy and collegial environment. If you see yourself working in Europe then the job access is appearently as good as with any US school.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2006, 07:15
Hi guys, let's keep this discussion within friendly terms.
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2006
Posts: 155
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2006, 07:25
Paul wrote:
Hi guys, let's keep this discussion within friendly terms.


yup, following up on Paul, I guess we can cool down!!

Though i'm not appin to LBS, just was browsing thro this thread and i guess arguements on numeric data( which in anyway cant be completely authentic unless you happen to be the Dean of LBS) have just created some tension here. You guys are doing great and there is no need to take opposite stands on issues like these. Best to work on your apps and pray that you get good news from LBS!! all the best guys :).
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 99
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2006, 10:09
dukes, thanks for that post, it was very insightful

Ok, not further exacerbate the issue, but there is a few things I have to get across. First GMATT73 says my calculations are glaring flawed, and now he is saying that my stats are glaring inaccurate. In fact, he claims that he is the one here using "hard data". Sigh....

Ok then let's compare our sources. BW published data vs adcom's quote on a chatroom. I don't know how most people here feel, but when BW publishes a very specific number, like LBS has 1467 applicants in 2005, I tend to believe them. Why? Well, I certainly don't think that BW editors randomly pulls these numbers out of a hat. Also, there's the issue of getting sued if they make crap up. So where does BW get there numbers from? Probably straight from the source, the schools.
Now compare this to what some adcoms say in a chatroom. 1800, wow, such a nice round number....Also, I think you are fogetting the fact that these adcoms often function as promoter/salesman. Now would you really believe everything a salesman tell you? Hard data, please, what a joke...Perhaps, you should engage in a bit more critical thought instead of just taking what people say at face value.

Second, I've already explained how I got my yield rates and even posted the site where I got my data...twice. If you can't be bother to check it out, that's your problem, please don't accuse me of making crap up.

Third, you know I still don't think you understand what yield rates are, because if you did you wouldn't be protesting so much about my projected yield for LBS, which I still think is close to 50%. Out of curiosity, what do you think LBS yield rates are, 70%, 80%???? Oh, and whatever, number you come up with, I'd like to see your rational as well. BTW, what do you think LBS acceptance rate is?

I know I might come up as a bit confrontational, but it's all in good spirit. I just have problems with people quoting what adcoms say and treat it as gospel, without bothering to perform further checks.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2006, 07:08
Lich wrote:
Also, I think you are fogetting the fact that these adcoms often function as promoter/salesman. Now would you really believe everything a salesman tell you? Hard data, please, what a joke...Perhaps, you should engage in a bit more critical thought instead of just taking what people say at face value.

(1) Sure, he may be a salesman. But as such, why would he intentionally exaggerate such a large number of applications? If anything, by doing so he risks driving away many long shots applicants. Unwise move for a salesman.

Second, I've already explained how I got my yield rates and even posted the site where I got my data...twice. If you can't be bother to check it out, that's your problem, please don't accuse me of making crap up.

(2) We all know about your source. It confirms the 1800+ applicants that David Simpson was preaching all along. Check for yourself ---> http://www.businessweek.com/@@Y3tD34cQp ... ondon1.htm

Third, you know I still don't think you understand what yield rates are, because if you did you wouldn't be protesting so much about my projected yield for LBS, which I still think is close to 50%. Out of curiosity, what do you think LBS yield rates are, 70%, 80%????

(3) I don't know LBS's exact yield rate, but I firmly hold my ground that its acceptance rate is far lower than the rate you cited. C'mon, 40+% at an elite program?

One possible equation that works is the 70% yield stated in 2001.

For example:

1800 applicants *.5 [interviewed (stated in the transcripts)] = 900 ---> 900* .5 (offered admissions) = 450 ---> 450 *~.7 (yield) = approximately ~310 students.

But that is contingent on a ~25% acceptance rate, a rate that seems to be in line with the historical figures Dukes cited as well. If this were the case, LBS stands as a competitve program, rather than a back-up school for most of us. Financial Times Ranking it #4 worldwide and BW putting it in the top 5 outside the US also lends testament to this data.


I just have problems with people quoting what adcoms say and treat it as gospel, without bothering to perform further checks.

(4) Same here, which is exactly why I went beyond B-week to gather further information. This is not the first discrepency I have discovered on their site. It's a good initial source, sure, but I wouldn't put all my faith in only their reviews and stats.


After all is said and done I think you might come to the realization that LBS is significantly more competitive than what you originally stated, especially when you take into considation the foreign language requirements and emphasis the school places on a campus visit.

Knowing that, you're probably better off saving your energy for those unorthodox essays.

IMO, LBS a top brass program with proud alumni making waves worldwide. Good luck!
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2006, 09:05
Matt,

It is Gandhi.... not Ghandi
  [#permalink] 24 Dec 2006, 09:05
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Anyone applying to LBS? shmegs 12 13 Sep 2007, 21:10
1 LBS anyone? dukes 14 08 Feb 2007, 08:47
Princeton or LBS omolei 1 17 Aug 2006, 08:24
LBS or INSEAD hellom3p 4 29 Mar 2006, 11:30
Anyone applied to LBS MBA round 1? Carloz 13 07 Nov 2005, 17:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

LBS anyone?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 35 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.