Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LBS selectivity

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

LBS selectivity [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 13:06
Out of curiosity, what's LBS' selectivity like? Which US school tier would it fit into? I looked at the web site and had a hard time figuring it out - the avg gmat is lower than several top 7 US schools but the work experience seems to be higher...
sorry if this is covered elsewhere - I couldn't find it :)
thanks,
ac.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 8

Re: LBS selectivity [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 13:44
Hi ac8706,

you raise some good points. LBS historically had 315 places, but it is going up to 375 this year, so my calculations below will be out of whack for this year.

Last year they had about 2500 applications. Their yield overall (all rounds) is about 65%, meaning about 480 admits, which amounts to 19% acceptance rate (1 in 5).

This year their number of places has gone up and number of applicants will hit the roof too, so it all seems interesting. Also quote a few admits were deferred from last year so we have to factor that in.

As far as the gmat goes, keep in mind that LBS has THE most diverse community ever. A US school considers 45% internationals diverse. LBS has 90%+ oversears students. So naturally the GMATs will be slightly lower due to the varying language ability. Also LBS prefers more experience, meaning that GMATs will be naturally lower too.

I met some LBS alumni a few months ago and a couple of them had turned down Columbia and Harvard for LBS, just for the diversity. Apply there!!! :)

even if i don't get into LBS, I will be an ambassador
SVP
SVP

Re: LBS selectivity [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 13:53
buffdaddy wrote:
Hi ac8706,

you raise some good points. LBS historically had 315 places, but it is going up to 375 this year, so my calculations below will be out of whack for this year.

Last year they had about 2500 applications. Their yield overall (all rounds) is about 65%, meaning about 480 admits, which amounts to 19% acceptance rate (1 in 5).

This year their number of places has gone up and number of applicants will hit the roof too, so it all seems interesting. Also quote a few admits were deferred from last year so we have to factor that in.

As far as the gmat goes, keep in mind that LBS has THE most diverse community ever. A US school considers 45% internationals diverse. LBS has 90%+ oversears students. So naturally the GMATs will be slightly lower due to the varying language ability. Also LBS prefers more experience, meaning that GMATs will be naturally lower too.

I met some LBS alumni a few months ago and a couple of them had turned down Columbia and Harvard for LBS, just for the diversity. Apply there!!! :)

thanks so much!! I met my uncle (wharton alum) and some of his friends for dinner - turns out that a lot of them went to LBS and once they heard I was applying to bschools, couldn't stop raving about it. Even amongst current students in the US, I've never heard such love for their schools! I always thought LBS was out of reach for me - I'm young (23) and don't have v. high WE (3 yrs now, 4 yrs at matric) so never considered it too seriously. Interestingly, the LBS alums thought that it wouldn't be a barrier and strongly recommended I apply...

That being said, I've already applied to quite a few US schools for R1 and am not sure if/how LBS would fit. I know I've missed the R1 deadline already so I'm going to research LBS a bit more as a possibility for R2...

any suggestions for threads that are particularly useful? My plan is to do a search for all LBS threads...
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: LBS selectivity [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 15:16
Welcome to the LBS community ac. You can start by looking at the LBS 2009 thread on : 106-t70701. Another place to look for is Angel angies blog (http://angelangie2008.blogspot.com/).

LBS is a truly global brand. The brand is recognized far more in Australia than some of the American M7s. I'm not sure what its perception is within America, but I do know that LBS admits plenty of Americans.

It is one school that I can vouch for personal experiences with alums. I can say one thing - they are a seriously strong community. Last year, during my long waitlist, my LBS alum interviewer introduced me to 2 of his London based buddies from his class. These are all seriously "high up" people, EDs at IBs (ones that still survive), HFs and PE firms. But, all took the time out to talk to me and give some great advice. I felt like I was networking even before getting admitted.

With such a small class and such a large target job market (UK, Europe, Asia, Oceania, even US ), it makes great sense to apply there. Think about it this way - you get the prestige of Harvard (ok maybe thats an exaggeration, but LBS is the top brand of Europe), the location of Columbia, the community of NYU, the diversity of .... well no comparisons; LBS is peerless in diversity. Not to mention all of Europe at your doorstep to explore during the weekends.

Let me know if you need any help with your LBS stuff.

Also note that LBS has 4 rounds (not 3), so an R2 application is not as late as an R2 app in an American school.
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 171 [2] , given: 0

Re: LBS selectivity [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 18:33
This post received
KUDOS
Great to hear so many good things about LBS :)

Having spent some time there myself, I would certainly recommend the school to anybody contemplating a 2-yr style MBA in Europe (unless you want to do the 1-yr masters in finance). Although the average GMAT, as you said, is lower than that of the M7, it has been steadily increasing but most importantly, it is LBS's unique brand and location that makes it a pre-eminent school.

There is indeed a great sense of bonding among students at the school as most are there for a 2 year adventure in a brand new country (and lively city to discover). This camaraderie develops quickly partly because London is in the heart of Europe and during school breaks, most tend to travel and thus, great friendships form. I've actually never traveled as much in my life as during the time at LBS :) In addition, following graduation, my recruiter was an LBS alumnus and I myself helped recruiting another LBS alumnus afterwards. We are indeed a very close knit community. Many of us are working worldwide and you will find that many alumni will be very helpful in your job search after graduation.

Looking back, I realize how the LBS time was probably the best of my life and I would definitely do it again if I had the chance to (well, perhaps not the studying part).

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP

Re: LBS selectivity [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 19:07
wow! all this is really good to hear! I will definitely check out some of the blogs y'all suggested as well as speak with some alums. \

I'm already sold on the location - I lived in London (near South Kensington) for 1 semester, worked there for 2 months as well and it's one of my favorite cities! The diversity really makes it different and really would offer a unique learning environment compared with many other schools. It's good to get a confirmation of the camraderie at lbs - I was really hoping it wasn't just those alums that were raving about it!

The question I have to answer is: I'm looking to do a career transition into strategic planning/corp dev, ideally in the healthcare industry. How doable that at lbs? Everything so far points to "it's very doable" but I think I need to research that a bit more!

and from what you all know about my profile, about lbs, do you think I'd have a shot at getting in?

thanks again for all your insight!
ac.
Director
Director

Re: LBS selectivity [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 19:51
My turn :-)

Quote:
The question I have to answer is: I'm looking to do a career transition into strategic planning/corp dev, ideally in the healthcare industry. How doable that at lbs? Everything so far points to "it's very doable" but I think I need to research that a bit more!

I met an alum, who was an Indian doctor, who already did an internship for a healthcare firm this past summer. So yes, it is possible. Also if you look at London, ALL sectors do their business in London. Another thing is the UK government has pledged that they won't cut health care funding. I currently work for a company that is experiencing booming times in the healthcare area, so fingers crossed this sector won't collapse like finance.

Quote:
and from what you all know about my profile, about lbs, do you think I'd have a shot at getting in?

I am not sure exactly what your profile is, but 4 years work experience on matriculation isn't a bad thing. Infact, it is in the good range of 4-7 years. So definitely not a barrier.

I think you should apply since you already are sold on the location!!!

goodluck,

buff
SVP
SVP

Re: LBS selectivity [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 21:42
Thanks very much for your input!! I'm really kicking myself for not having explored lbs sooner! I think you're right that the location will lend itself it many opportunities for career movement. And to be honest, I would really rather live in London than NYC so that's not even a hard sell :)

My profile: (in case this helps with the "what are my chances" questions)

Program: MBA (FT)
Area of interest in MBA : Healthcare, finance
GMAT: 760 (Q49, V45, AWA6)
GPA: 3.14 overall, 3.6 in majors International Relations/Political Science (double major), Boston University
Work experience(WE): 3 yrs healthcare IT project management currently, 4 yrs at matriculation
WE: I've been at the same healthcare software vendor for 3 years, in a project management role. I started off as an independent analyst working on workflow re-engineering and software configuration. Since then, I've been assigned to several of our large clients, leading teams of 10-15 analysts in implementation. That also includes doing a signif amount of project planning, scope analysis, goal definition, etc. My specialty within all that is change management and user adoption - they basically sic me on angry docs resistant to EMRs, CMIOs/CNOs, etc. I work with those folks to create adoption strategies and measure compliance. I also have had a handful of direct reports that I mentor and manage. Fun stuff I've gotten to do also includes software design for our obstetrics module

ECs: in undergrad, I was pretty active in student govt (elected member), debate society and residential councils.
Nationality: Indian citizen, lived mostly in US, US permanent resident
Extra-curriculars/community: Komen foundation, debate mentoring, overseas NGO assistance

Thanks again!
ac.
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

Re: LBS selectivity [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 04:40
did you go to any of the LBS info sessions or the drop in ones?

i find the drop in sessions to be very useful. The adcom reveals a lot more about the school and the application process, so it gives you a clear and concise picture.

The formal info sessions have the same marketing feel about them as other US schools do, but the drop in ones really convince you whether LBS is for you or not.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: LBS selectivity [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 14:46
ac your chances would be great at most schools you apply to, including LBS. Just a comment though - try not to be too "technical" in your essays and focus on motivations, lessons and reflection in your essays and not just on jargon and details.

ac8706 wrote:
Thanks very much for your input!! I'm really kicking myself for not having explored lbs sooner! I think you're right that the location will lend itself it many opportunities for career movement. And to be honest, I would really rather live in London than NYC so that's not even a hard sell :)

My profile: (in case this helps with the "what are my chances" questions)

Program: MBA (FT)
Area of interest in MBA : Healthcare, finance
GMAT: 760 (Q49, V45, AWA6)
GPA: 3.14 overall, 3.6 in majors International Relations/Political Science (double major), Boston University
Work experience(WE): 3 yrs healthcare IT project management currently, 4 yrs at matriculation
WE: I've been at the same healthcare software vendor for 3 years, in a project management role. I started off as an independent analyst working on workflow re-engineering and software configuration. Since then, I've been assigned to several of our large clients, leading teams of 10-15 analysts in implementation. That also includes doing a signif amount of project planning, scope analysis, goal definition, etc. My specialty within all that is change management and user adoption - they basically sic me on angry docs resistant to EMRs, CMIOs/CNOs, etc. I work with those folks to create adoption strategies and measure compliance. I also have had a handful of direct reports that I mentor and manage. Fun stuff I've gotten to do also includes software design for our obstetrics module

ECs: in undergrad, I was pretty active in student govt (elected member), debate society and residential councils.
Nationality: Indian citizen, lived mostly in US, US permanent resident
Extra-curriculars/community: Komen foundation, debate mentoring, overseas NGO assistance

Thanks again!
ac.
SVP
SVP

Re: LBS selectivity [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 17:51
aviroop wrote:
did you go to any of the LBS info sessions or the drop in ones?

i find the drop in sessions to be very useful. The adcom reveals a lot more about the school and the application process, so it gives you a clear and concise picture.

The formal info sessions have the same marketing feel about them as other US schools do, but the drop in ones really convince you whether LBS is for you or not.

thanks avi! if I'd been more organized, I def would've! Looking at the LBS website, they don't appear to have any scheduled sessions in the next month or two...so I may have missed that window :(
SVP
SVP

Re: LBS selectivity [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 18:05
bsd_lover wrote:
ac your chances would be great at most schools you apply to, including LBS. Just a comment though - try not to be too "technical" in your essays and focus on motivations, lessons and reflection in your essays and not just on jargon and details.
]

Thanks bsd!! Yea don't worry - my first draft of essay were super techy but the final ones are barely that...thanks for your input!!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: LBS selectivity [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2008, 23:10
buffdaddy wrote:

Hi guys,

I am in awe to see that there are so many people (including me) who are so in love with the school...Great posts guys. And buff, I really hope you make it to this year's class. All the best to all you guys.

Trump

AppMentor - accepted students' advice

Director
Director

Re: LBS selectivity [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 13:26
trump wrote:
buffdaddy wrote:

Hi guys,

I am in awe to see that there are so many people (including me) who are so in love with the school...Great posts guys. And buff, I really hope you make it to this year's class. All the best to all you guys.

Trump

Thanks Trump. Nov 12 just looms around the corner. My fingers are crossed.
Re: LBS selectivity   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2008, 13:26