Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 05:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LBS vs Oxford

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

LBS vs Oxford [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 12:54
Hi guys,

I discovered this forum not very long ago and have been very impressed by people's knowledge and perspectives in the discussions.

I have just got admitted to London Business School and Oxford for the MBA programme starting Autumn 2011. Now I am trying to decide which offer to take. I find it is a tough decision as each programme has its pros and cons. For example, LBS has a better reputation in the business world, but the 2 year programme is a significant investment in both time and money. The Said Business School of Oxford is relatively new, but it is only one year and the Oxbridge brand carries a lot of weight in many countries in the world.

My background is female, 6 years experience in civil engineering (4 years technial & 2 years project management). I have lived in the UK for 6 years but will be interested in finding a job in both the UK and Asia-Parcific upon graduation.

After the MBA study, I would like to come back to the construction industry and work as a consultant or a project/business manager. However I would also like to explore infrastructure investment related roles in management consultancies or banks (for example, working on micro finance or project finance). One thing appealing about the two year programme at LBS is the possibility to explore other industries/professions. From your knowledge and experience, do you think it is realistic for me to think about a career switch considering my age and background? What do you think of the reputation of LBS comparing to Oxford?

Also I am a little worried that I may get bored in LBS as it is a much smaller community and very business focused, comparing to Oxford. :)

I need to put the deposit down pretty soon. Lot of money for a poor engineer like me! :(

Any advice is much appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: LBS vs Oxford [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 23:19
Hi lovelyff,

you will hardly regret 2 yr at LBS; i strongly believe one year long program is not enough for a lifetime education like MBA. Oxbridge relies on the U brands more than on B-schools brands, but their programs are good and might soon be on par with LBS. But they are not there yet.

You will not feel boring at LBS you will feel busy.. :-D Always :-D [size=85]
[/size]
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: LBS vs Oxford [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2011, 09:36
Expert's post
HI lovelyff,

Congratulations on being accepted into both programs. They are both excellent business schools.

If you are interested in potentially changing industries, a 2 year MBA program will provide more opportunities to do so, particularly because of the internship. Your age and background will not hinder your chances to change to industries. Students do this all the time; what is most important is that you show initiative.

Oxford is a younger program, although both business schools are highly ranked.

I hope this was of help.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Re: LBS vs Oxford   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2011, 09:36