Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

learning disabled students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

learning disabled students [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2004, 06:10
Dear Linda,

I am learning disabled, more specifically I have dyslexia and dysgraphia. I hold an undergraduate degree in Biology, a minor in Economics with an overall "B" GPA average. Recently I took the GMAT in the standard format (no extra time) and received a score of 94% on the verbal section and 14% on the quantitative section. (note when I did take the SAT for undergraduate school under extended time i recived 680 math, and 630 verbal)

I have been employed by the United Nations overseas for about 4 and continue to be in a location that makes both having my learning disability reevaluated and taking the GMAT extremely difficult. ETS will not let me take the exam with extra time because my last evaluation was in the year of my matriculation into undergraduate school (10 years ago). Again I live in a place that does not permit me to be re-tested and arranging to do so is ... well just can't be done.

I wrote to several schools before applying and they all said just show that you can do math via other aspects of your application. i.e. courses you took work you do - I said no problem as I have lots of quant classes like physics, chem, micro/macro econ etc., and am currently in the Executive Directors (same as CEO) of a major UN agency doing financial modeling...and have worked (in very junior role) on Wall St. prior to the UN.

I was not admitted to any schools.

I then applied to Masters in Finance school - good but not great - that I
did not get into but they wrote back saying we thing you have a great
application go apply to Wharton, Stanford ???

It seems each school will tell you yea you as a dyslexic student should not worry....but they are not really telling the truth. They don't care about the story they want the scores. Which is okay...but I need the truth.

Thanks for your time and input.

Regards,
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: learning disabled students [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2004, 13:58
Expert's post
luckyduck wrote:
Dear Linda,

I am learning disabled, more specifically I have dyslexia and dysgraphia. I hold an undergraduate degree in Biology, a minor in Economics with an overall "B" GPA average. Recently I took the GMAT in the standard format (no extra time) and received a score of 94% on the verbal section and 14% on the quantitative section. (note when I did take the SAT for undergraduate school under extended time i recived 680 math, and 630 verbal)

I have been employed by the United Nations overseas for about 4 and continue to be in a location that makes both having my learning disability reevaluated and taking the GMAT extremely difficult. ETS will not let me take the exam with extra time because my last evaluation was in the year of my matriculation into undergraduate school (10 years ago). Again I live in a place that does not permit me to be re-tested and arranging to do so is ... well just can't be done.

I wrote to several schools before applying and they all said just show that you can do math via other aspects of your application. i.e. courses you took work you do - I said no problem as I have lots of quant classes like physics, chem, micro/macro econ etc., and am currently in the Executive Directors (same as CEO) of a major UN agency doing financial modeling...and have worked (in very junior role) on Wall St. prior to the UN.

I was not admitted to any schools.

I then applied to Masters in Finance school - good but not great - that I
did not get into but they wrote back saying we thing you have a great
application go apply to Wharton, Stanford ???

It seems each school will tell you yea you as a dyslexic student should not worry....but they are not really telling the truth. They don't care about the story they want the scores. Which is okay...but I need the truth.

Thanks for your time and input.

Regards,

It's hard for me to comment. That 14% is pretty glaring, but perhaps you didn't do as well on your application or essays as you could have. Have you sought feedback from as many of the schools as give it?

Are you asking if you should reapply given that you can't retake the GMAT with accomodations? I can't answer that. I can say that if you reapply you should

1) make sure you have calculus and statistics (with A's ) on your transcript.
2) Ask your recommenders to comment positively about your quant skills as evidenced by the modeling work you have done.
3) In the optional essay, discuss your learning disabilities and why your course work and professional records are better indicators of your abilities than the GMAT.

Even if you take these measures, I think you will have a hard time gaining admission to a top ten business school unless you raise that GMAT, which you say you can't do.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: learning disabled students [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2008, 20:45
I feel your pain! I majored and economics as an undergrad and rocked my calculus, statistics, and econometrics classes. Then I took the GMAT. Looking at my scores on the screen at the testing center I literally thought to myself, "oh god- I am still dyslexic!" I scored in the 98th percentile in verbal and in the 27th percentile in quant. I just took the test two days ago and am trying to pull myself back together from the bitter edge of disappointment (590 score). I know I can handle the quant- I just need a little extra time and some colored markers. I am rethinking my strategy and plan to appeal to take the test as a "test taker with disabilities" and hire a tutor to hammer through the quant material again. Best of luck to you! I plan to wait to apply to schools until I can get my GMAT score up to at least 630.