Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 14:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Logical Fallacy?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Logical Fallacy? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2004, 12:31
I have a huge problem with this questions, coming from prof. Dave
Change is logically inconveivable and logic is a surer indicator of reality than experience; thus, despite appearances, reality is unitary and motionless. In this view, time is an illusion..

The question:
If the author's asessment of the idea is correct, with twhich of the following would the author most likely agree?

the correct answer: "The more things seem to change, the more they remain the same".

Now, I have a few issues with this answer:

1. According to the paragraph about the author, things do not move (there is no time in which they would move) > thus, they cannot "remain the same"; only things that move can "remain" because the non-changing factor is a type of motion (to remain); in this case, they simply are the same, the do not move > thus they not only cannot "remain" but also, and most importantly, cannot remain the same.

2. Our perception of things that seem to change doesn't influence the status of the things - things simply cannot remain "more" the same. Or, do you imply that something that is the same 10 years ago, is "MORE" same in 20 years - a thing that doesn't change cannot obtain the status that it is "more" same ..

3. Our perception of things based on the paragraph about the author indicates that he would never agree with something being "more" same as for him the reality of things doesn't change.

4. Additionaly, if something "remains" it means it is in motion and anything that is in motion (even the motion of remaining) changes every second - it cannot remain the same for the word "remains" implies change or activity.

5. The word "more" indicates change as well > thus to remain the same is contradictory itself.

UFFF .. now, what do you think ? Am i comprehending it incorrectly?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 649 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2004, 01:18
A digression, if i may...

This question is not quite the type you would ever see on the GMAT. And if you do see a really really tough and apparently convoluted question, you must be doing really really well in verbal. In other words, relax :)

My first request is that for verbal prep, especially CR and RC, please please and please do not refer to any other sources for questions other than the Official Guide and the LSAT for your learning. In LSAT, avoid the logic based CR's.

Now let me make sure we understand.... I dont mind trying different strategies to see what works best. thats the very purpose of this forum, to learn from the best. Many test prep companies have tried very hard to design strategies and i love most of them. Go ahead, learn the strategies. But make sure you apply those strategies on the right questions.

Its incredibly difficult to develop ETS style verbal questions. Please be very careful with what questions you are working with.

hope this helps.
Praetorian
  [#permalink] 10 Oct 2004, 01:18