Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Long prep - Target: 700+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 21

Long prep - Target: 700+ [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 12:53
Hi guys,

Here officially begins my GMAT journey on the GMAT-club.
About me:
- Male, 20
- French (thus, naturally disabled in any foreign language, especially in English)
- Currently studying in Russia for a double Bachelor degree in Commerce, specialization in Marketing
- 9-month experience in management for my school project (I was the president of the project, managing 10 people)
- Two internships (one in real estate, one in Spain in an hotel, not very relevant)
- Speak French, English (fairly fluently), Russian (learning it on the field, intermediate level), German (7 years that I have to brush up)..
- TOEFL iBT 99/120 about a year and a half ago.
- Grade on average 14/20 (but on my grade-list, I have kind of a letter grade equivalent which gives me a CGPA of 3,48/4)
Goals:
- Beat the GMAT with a 700+
- Get enrolled into a top-15 MiM (preference for the University of Mannheim, HHL Leipzig and the University of St Gallen)
- Specialize in Finance, giving me a versatile profile in business
Problems:
- Low French CGPA (although it ranks me quite well in my school)
- Non-native speaker
- Have to find a work in Russia for next year
- Have to learn Russian to a professional proficiency by the end of the semester
- Extra work from both my French and Russian schools

Preparation:
I got the full set of books from MGMAT, including Advanced Quant and both the fundamentals of GMAT quant and verbal.
Already been through the first 300 pages of the fundamentals of GMAT Math, my skills needed to be brushed up (I write all the things I consider important in a notebook and do all the drills). I'm working on it on a daily basis, reading also different books helping me to increase my mental computation skills. I also decided to make flashcards on Anki to review mainly the prime numbers up to 200, the powers of the prime numbers up to 11, squares up to 100, main square roots, main rules and tips.
What I'm planning to do:
I want to reach the end of the fundamentals of GMAT Math by the end of the week, then do the same with the fundamentals of GMAT verbal by the middle of March. After what I'll take a GMAT Prep practice test and go through the MGMAT books to learn how to tackle the questions and work on my weaknesses while being on the forum.
Also in my plans; I will maintain an errorlog, keep making flashcards and will try to make some flashcards dealing with the structure of each kind of question and how to tackle it.
If everything goes the way it should, I'll go back to France on July with all the books read and quite a solid prep, that I'll check by taking a second prep test.

I'm supposed to spend two months in France, the problem is that I don't know yet what to do.
I was actually considering taking the MGMAT on-line course, before taking the GMAT in France then going back to Russia but I don't know if it would really be worth the money.
Others preps don't really attract me, except maybe Veritas. Not sure though it would be useful. It mainly depends on what result I get on the second prep test.
The thing is that I have to learn Russian on the other side and to find a work. I want to apply only in 2014.

Moreover, concerning the schools I'm interested in, do you think my profile may be interesting/accepted in there?
What kind of GMAT score would be required to go on a double degree with a partner of one of those schools?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1132

Kudos [?]: 5171 [0], given: 164

Re: Long prep - Target: 700+ [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 20:09
Expert's post
JustMsk wrote:
Hi guys,

Here officially begins my GMAT journey on the GMAT-club.
About me:
- Male, 20
- French (thus, naturally disabled in any foreign language, especially in English)
- Currently studying in Russia for a double Bachelor degree in Commerce, specialization in Marketing
- 9-month experience in management for my school project (I was the president of the project, managing 10 people)
- Two internships (one in real estate, one in Spain in an hotel, not very relevant)
- Speak French, English (fairly fluently), Russian (learning it on the field, intermediate level), German (7 years that I have to brush up)..
- TOEFL iBT 99/120 about a year and a half ago.
- Grade on average 14/20 (but on my grade-list, I have kind of a letter grade equivalent which gives me a CGPA of 3,48/4)
Goals:
- Beat the GMAT with a 700+
- Get enrolled into a top-15 MiM (preference for the University of Mannheim, HHL Leipzig and the University of St Gallen)
- Specialize in Finance, giving me a versatile profile in business
Problems:
- Low French CGPA (although it ranks me quite well in my school)
- Non-native speaker
- Have to find a work in Russia for next year
- Have to learn Russian to a professional proficiency by the end of the semester
- Extra work from both my French and Russian schools

Preparation:
I got the full set of books from MGMAT, including Advanced Quant and both the fundamentals of GMAT quant and verbal.
Already been through the first 300 pages of the fundamentals of GMAT Math, my skills needed to be brushed up (I write all the things I consider important in a notebook and do all the drills). I'm working on it on a daily basis, reading also different books helping me to increase my mental computation skills. I also decided to make flashcards on Anki to review mainly the prime numbers up to 200, the powers of the prime numbers up to 11, squares up to 100, main square roots, main rules and tips.
What I'm planning to do:
I want to reach the end of the fundamentals of GMAT Math by the end of the week, then do the same with the fundamentals of GMAT verbal by the middle of March. After what I'll take a GMAT Prep practice test and go through the MGMAT books to learn how to tackle the questions and work on my weaknesses while being on the forum.
Also in my plans; I will maintain an errorlog, keep making flashcards and will try to make some flashcards dealing with the structure of each kind of question and how to tackle it.
If everything goes the way it should, I'll go back to France on July with all the books read and quite a solid prep, that I'll check by taking a second prep test.

I'm supposed to spend two months in France, the problem is that I don't know yet what to do.
I was actually considering taking the MGMAT on-line course, before taking the GMAT in France then going back to Russia but I don't know if it would really be worth the money.
Others preps don't really attract me, except maybe Veritas. Not sure though it would be useful. It mainly depends on what result I get on the second prep test.
The thing is that I have to learn Russian on the other side and to find a work. I want to apply only in 2014.

Moreover, concerning the schools I'm interested in, do you think my profile may be interesting/accepted in there?
What kind of GMAT score would be required to go on a double degree with a partner of one of those schools?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

With the diversity quotient you provide, most schools will be happy to have you in their class. It's up to you how much effort you are willing to put in to prove to them that you would love to be in their class.

Anything above 700 should be good. Since you have plenty of time, this should be achievable in any case. It also depends on where you stand right now.

You have a ton of other things you need to work on on the side. Make a schedule and stick to it. Give time to every activity you must do. Make timelines - First week this topic, Next week - this one etc. Keep some buffer days.

" I also decided to make flashcards on Anki to review mainly the prime numbers up to 200, the powers of the prime numbers up to 11, squares up to 100, main square roots, main rules and tips."

You are over-doing it here. It will not be useful. Prime numbers up to 100 are more than sufficient. By 'powers of the prime numbers up to 11', I hope you mean first few powers of 2, 3, 5, 7 and 11. Squares up to 20 are sufficient.
Check out my post on what you need to learn up: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/04 ... culations/

Once you go through the fundamentals, take a GMAT prep test. Your next steps will depend on the scores you get in that.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 21

Re: Long prep - Target: 700+ [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 01:24
Thank you very much Karishma for your answer and precious advice.
I guess the planning idea is pretty good, along with an up-to-date to-do list. Organization will make it!

I've just read your post on the Veritas' blog and it's pretty interesting, thank you! My current plan may be a bit too much to give a good ROI.
I indeed meant the first few powers of 2, 3, 5 , 7 and 11. If it can help anyone, there's a game on iOS, which is perfect (though a bit easy) to revise multiples, equality, inequality, factors and primes. It's called Number Munchers and costs something like $2.

A question about Veritas, do you actually sell books separately? I already have a fairly important amount of resources with the MGMAT set but if in the future, one of the books fails to give me a correct understanding of a topic, I'll certainly want to get a different approach.

Another question directed to BB (or any member), where is the Ultimate Grammar Guide? I've only been able to find a sample, while the link for the full free-version on Facebook is simply dead.

Justin.
Re: Long prep - Target: 700+   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2013, 01:24