Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

low GPAs and top MBA programs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

low GPAs and top MBA programs [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 06:48
Back when i was on the adcom at Kellogg, a few colleagues and I would always wonder what the lowest admitted GPA and GMAT scores were for any given year. we knew there was no "official" GPA cutoff. meaning: we never stopped reading a file just because a GPA or GMAT score was super low. every application was read and scored from end to end, regardless of how low the GPA or GMAT was. with that said, however, there was certainly a correlation between high GPA and rate of acceptance. candds with high GPAs from strong programs were always more likely to be admitted than the opposite. but every once in awhile you'd hear about some guy with a 2.5 from a state school and a 560 GMAT getting into HBS, and no, he wasn't friends with the dean. these outliers always mystify and further complicate an outsider's understanding of the admissions process. to help dispel some of this confusion, i wrote this article: http://www.thefirstread.com/low-gpa-can ... a-program/

in reality, it'd take an entire book to discuss how GPAs are evaluated at the top MBA programs, but hopefully this provides a concise high-level view.

best of luck to everyone this year,
-james young

http://www.TheFirstRead.com
Former Kellogg adcom member, offering a new approach to MBA Admissions Consulting.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
low GPAs and top MBA programs   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2012, 06:48