Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Boston U '15
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: LS Dropout -> MAcc program? [#permalink]
imalawyer wrote:
rpres8198 wrote:
Hey guys, I could really use some help.
I'm currently a first year law student at a Top 30 school, top 5% of my class. Thing is, I hate law and don't know what I'm doing here. I've always preferred math and science, and people look at me like I'm crazy when I say my eventual goal out of going to law school is to be able to get into a top business school down the road (for finance or accounting). I hate to drop out and give up my rank/opportunities, but I just don't know if it's worth it if I'm going to be miserable.

But my plan: Drop out now, look for a job until next year, begin studying for the GMAT now, take it in over summer/fall/whenever you guys take the GMAT, apply to MACC programs (specifically interested in UNC's program).

Do I stand a shot? Especially as a law school drop out?

My UG GPA is 3.52, no significant work experience (6 months at a law firm, some internships here and there, part time jobs).

I wrote up a big long response but lost it when my computer decided to do some bizarre stuff a second ago. Annoying.

Anyway, my initial question is: what about law do you hate? I ask because you're in the thick of your first year, and first year is a good time for nobody. Clearly your 6 months with the law firm didn't deter you from matriculating, so why the hatred? And how do you know that you would hate practicing?

Also, so you know, I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here. I had similar thoughts during my first year, and obviously I'm also on the b-school track, so I have a pretty good idea of where you're coming from.

During my time at the firm I did have my doubts, especially since all of the attorneys were telling me not to go. The biggest thing might just be that I'm having an Occam's Razor moment. I've always wanted to do business, and my eventual goal was to get into b school. But I figured it wouldn't be possible coming from a state school with a lib arts major, so the only route to a top school was to go through law school and become an attorney so I could have some decent experience.
Of course I'm simplifying things somewhat, I had more reasons for law school that weren't all as bad, but looking back and being honest with myself I think that was the biggest one.

Also, I'm starting to realize I'm much more of a quant and I love working with numbers or data. That's pretty much non-existent in law.

The other option I've been contemplating is just transferring to a T6 and trying to go into consulting after graduation
Intern
Intern
Send PM
imalawyer wrote:
rpres8198 wrote:
During my time at the firm I did have my doubts, especially since all of the attorneys were telling me not to go. The biggest thing might just be that I'm having an Occam's Razor moment. I've always wanted to do business, and my eventual goal was to get into b school. But I figured it wouldn't be possible coming from a state school with a lib arts major, so the only route to a top school was to go through law school and become an attorney so I could have some decent experience.
Of course I'm simplifying things somewhat, I had more reasons for law school that weren't all as bad, but looking back and being honest with myself I think that was the biggest one.

Also, I'm starting to realize I'm much more of a quant and I love working with numbers or data. That's pretty much non-existent in law.

The other option I've been contemplating is just transferring to a T6 and trying to go into consulting after graduation

This all sounds so familiar. I also had lawyers telling me not to go, but I went anyway. What makes that especially dumb is that, like you, I didn't have a very good reason for doing it. But hey, it's only hundreds of thousands of dollars and three years, right?

I can't comment on how b-schools would view the 'drop out' thing down the road, but I have a good idea of what I'd do in your shoes. I would transfer up to one of the t10 schools and continue with business as usual on the law school front (maybe that school would have MACC classes that you could cross-register for?). BUT, I would also network as much as possible (check out "Never Eat Alone" by Keith Ferrazzi for great networking advice) and would look for appropriate non-law jobs. If a nice offer came up then I could jet without regret. If not then I'd still be on me way to a law degree from a top school, and would still have the opportunity to squeeze into on-campus recruiting for a consulting job (or, at worst, a traditional law job). I would also prep for the GMAT while doing my 1L internship.

This, of course, is the safe way to go, and I don't always handle things in the 'ultra super safest' way since I'm not a particularly risk averse guy, but I would be very concerned with the very real possibility that tracking down a decent pre-MACC job would take a very long time. Occam's Razor would counsel similarly, I think, since leaving and essentially starting from scratch would introduce more assumptions into your calculations. That is: 1) stay in law school and remain on track to get work experience that absolutely can take you to b-school (albeit work experience that might be miserable) vs. 2) leave law school, hope to find a job, and hope to get admitted to a good MACC program.

All of that said, my single best bit of advice would be to get out and talk to people. When I look back on the decisions I made in law school, the one thing that I 100% would change is the amount of networking that I did.

Wow, that's incredibly helpful/insightful. Thanks a lot!
I probably will end up doing something along those lines.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts