Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Manhattan GMAT: Split and re-split method

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Manhattan GMAT: Split and re-split method [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 20:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

18% (01:41) correct 82% (00:28) wrong based on 11 sessions
Hi,
I have been using the Manhattan GMAT SC book, and they suggest to use the "Splits and Re-splits" method. Through this system, you have to scan the answer choices vertically - without read them - looking for differences that split the answer choices.
After that, you have to eliminate the splits which are wrong.

Ok, probably that method is Ok when you have a question in which the answer choices only are different in certain words, but what to do when you face a question like this? Anyone who is using the MGMAT SC, please? How effective is that approach when the choices are totally different?

His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful, Sir Joseph Lister lent his name to the company that developed Listerine, the first antibacterial liquid.

(A) His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful
(B) Since his campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms had been eventually successful
(C) Because of the eventual success of his campaigning for sanitary conditions in operating rooms
(D) His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms being eventually successful
(E) Campaigning, eventually successfully, for conditions to be sanitary in operating rooms

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Manhattan GMAT: Split and re-split method [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 22:49
This post received
KUDOS
Basically, for these kind of questions and the questions where there are totally different wordings, first of all try to understand the given sentence.
Look out for the errors in the options. Most of the time you would be able to remove 3 options. Now, judge based on conciseness, active/passive, etc rules which you already know.

By the way, Here I guess the answer is A.
"His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful" is an absolute phrase and it modifies the followed independent clause.

D, E easy to eliminate.
B,C -> change the meaning.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Manhattan GMAT: Split and re-split method [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 23:38
This post received
KUDOS
This scanning method many times goes wrong for me because most of the time instead of looking for the best answer and without understanding question completely, I go for differences in the options and end up with some wrong answer. Here Choice A has perfect grammar but it is not going with the remaining sentence.

According to me one has to understand the what part is underlined portion is playing and what does it mean

For example, In the given question the underlined part is an dependent clause and it is also a cause for some information mentioned after underlined part.

Therefore, we have to search for an answer that will show reason. Now if we scan the answers we can understand that choices A, D, and E can stand there own except pronoun, but they are independent clauses and not really forming a reason for why Sir Joseph Lister lent his name to the company that developed Listerine.
So, we can short list choices B and C

Now, if we scan further then we can make out that choice C contains "success of his campaigningfor sanitary" .... Unnecessary use of progressive tense .... so we can finalize on choice "B"

Also, Choice "B" is forming a cause or reason for the further statement and it is using perfect past tense that shows us that this action is happened before Sir Joseph Lister give his name to antibacterial liquid.
A rule is mentioned in manhattan sentence correction that "If more than one action in a sentence occurred at different times in the past, you must use the past perfect tense for the earlier action and simple past for later action".

This is my view, please correct me if i m wrong. And please mention OA of the question.

Check this link

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/invite.do?in=NzYxOTkxJSMlRzF0NGJKQnllT1kzVmRmbTVBb2tLZ1Q4RA==

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/pages/rupeemail/images/joinImage.gif

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Manhattan GMAT: Split and re-split method [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 01:28
This post received
KUDOS
I picked C as well.

OA is A.

(C) Because of the eventual success of his campaigning for sanitary conditions in operating rooms

Here is a subordinate clause. C seems to be past progressive, while A looks to be simple present tense. Given the context of the Sentence Construction, A is correct.

sc-campaign-for-sanitary-conditions-65575.html

Metallicafan,

For these types of problems, I don't think you can split/resplit. I use MGMAT and split/resplit is highly effective at the lower level questions. At these levels, pure knowledge has to be the key in identifying the error.

However, there are two splits you can make note of, Campaign and Campaigning, and Eventually Successful and Finally Successful. Mix and match.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Manhattan GMAT: Split and re-split method [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 03:31
Thanks buddies! Kudos for you 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 7

Re: Manhattan GMAT: Split and re-split method [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 06:51
Really great question here, metallicafan!

The scanning method does tend to work a little bit better when you have just a word or two that is changed. In this problem, you have a large part of the sentence that gets changed or shifted around. I would argue that:

1) This is often indicative of a modifier issue, so you might want to be on the lookout for modifier problems.

2) The split-resplit method doesn't work particularly well here not because you have a large part of a sentence underlined, but because you have a five-way split. This happens every now and then, and as others in this forum have shared, it's why we need to bother learning the grammar rather than trying to rely purely on tricks.

Great question! I love that you're thinking about the limitations of the strategies you see!

Brett

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kelley Class of 2013
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Manhattan GMAT: Split and re-split method [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 13:56
USCTrojan2006 wrote:
I picked C as well.

OA is A.

\

Note that C is wrong for an additional reason as well. "because of" introduces nouns/pronouns, and "because" introduces clauses. In this answer, "because of" is introducing a clause.

Tom
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: Manhattan GMAT: Split and re-split method [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 17:47
C is also wrong because you are starting a sentence with Because. I don't think B can be right in this case because the past perfect does not seem to make sense either.

I selected A. Choices such as B and C change the meaning of the sentence in suggesting that it was because of his campaigns that he decided to lent his name.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Manhattan GMAT: Split and re-split method [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 18:06
I think correct answer should be B.
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 7

Re: Manhattan GMAT: Split and re-split method [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 09:30
Quick note here about the "meaning" issue mentioned in several posts on this thread:

Keep in mind that "meaning" is not as important on SC as "grammar." Grammar is king, and meaning is only a secondary consideration. For those of you who rule out answer choices because of a meaning issue: Did you find grammatical issues wrong with them first? If not, beware of crossing them off.

Furthermore: While I agree that B and C change the meaning by making a more explicit causal link between the successful campaign and the naming right, the real deal with "meaning" on SC is not "does it change in meaning?" as much as it is "Is the meaning logical?"

For example, if A says:

"Yesterday, I walked to that pizza restaurant that was built in 1947."

And one of your answer choices says:

"In 1947, I walked to new pizza restaurant that was built yesterday."

Then you have a problem because it's illogical and nonsensical to say you walked to something that wasn't yet built.

Brett

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Manhattan GMAT: Split and re-split method [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 05:27
I think the answer is B. In this option, we can easily see the cause and conclusion. Since=because

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Re: Manhattan GMAT: Split and re-split method   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2011, 05:27