Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Accounting
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: masters program for a life science undergrad?? [#permalink]
I just started the San Jose State program & I was in the same boat as you in that I have no accounting background and was looking for programs in California. "Competitive" is a little vague...to give you an idea of what to stack up against, they said the average GMAT score of the incoming class was 640 and the average UG GPA was ~3.24. They also seem to like "big name" schools and UCs, so if you have a decent GPA from UCLA and do well on the GMAT my guess is you'll get in pretty easily.

Cal State Fullerton/Cal State LA will admit you without prerequisites but you will have to take them once you enroll & it will probably take an extra year. USC's MAcc is said to have a track for non-majors but I applied to it and during the interview they sure gave me a lot of grief for not having experience.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the info! My gpa from UCLA is actually really low, a little below a 2.7, due to my struggles with pre-med classes. Haven't taken the GMAT yet, but do you think a high score can offset a low gpa? Also, how are you liking the program at San Jose??

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:ND - Alum, was accepted to WM, Olin.
Send PM
try UNC. They have only a MS accounting for non accounting majors.

Yes, a good GMAT will overcome the low GPA.

Me - low GPA, decent (not good) GMAT, graduated from top 5 MS accounting program, now at Big 4.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Accounting
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
UNC looks like a good program for sure. Not sure if the OP is willing to go out of CA though.

I would also agree that a high GMAT (700+) can make up for a low GPA, but if you are really interested in SJ State then it I think it wouldn't hurt to give them a call to get their opinion. Also, they have a few prerequisites you have to take in order to get into the program (these prerequisites can be taken at a community college) and if you get A's in them, then I think it would help offset a lower GPA. Just make sure you don't take any prerequisites more advanced than the ones they require or else they won't admit you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Awesome, thanks so much for all the input! Schools in CA are my top choices, but I am definitely open to schools out of state, if need be. Will look into UNC though, thanks again!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts