Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

masters program for a life science undergrad??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

masters program for a life science undergrad?? [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 16:20
Hello all, any insight into my particular situation is much appreciated!
I just graduated from UCLA a few weeks ago with a bachelors in psychobiology, and was planning on a career in the health industry. However, for personal reasons, I've recently decided to pursue a career in accounting instead (Also, my dad is an accountant with a small family business). I was looking to apply to a masters program for accounting, but the schools I looked at in California all require pre-req classes that I didn't take, since I was studying a whole different field. The only one I found that didn't was San Jose State, but I've been reading that the program is really competitive?? If anyone has any advice for me regarding which schools to look into or how to go about taking pre-reqs (not sure if they accept community college classes?), I'd really really appreciate it!

Thanks again!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: masters program for a life science undergrad?? [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 10:10
If San Jose State is a viable option (location, admissions req, etc), it should give you a fair opportunity to land a job in Big 4 firms. Because Silicon Valley is not far away, Big 4 has a lot of clients around the area and recruiting is pretty good around the area schools as a result.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: masters program for a life science undergrad?? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 18:42
Thanks for the input! Does anyone know of any schools beside San Jose State that is geared towards non-accounting majors?? thanks!!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: masters program for a life science undergrad?? [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 21:47
I just started the San Jose State program & I was in the same boat as you in that I have no accounting background and was looking for programs in California. "Competitive" is a little vague...to give you an idea of what to stack up against, they said the average GMAT score of the incoming class was 640 and the average UG GPA was ~3.24. They also seem to like "big name" schools and UCs, so if you have a decent GPA from UCLA and do well on the GMAT my guess is you'll get in pretty easily.

Cal State Fullerton/Cal State LA will admit you without prerequisites but you will have to take them once you enroll & it will probably take an extra year. USC's MAcc is said to have a track for non-majors but I applied to it and during the interview they sure gave me a lot of grief for not having experience.
Intern
Intern

Re: masters program for a life science undergrad?? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 14:39
Thanks for the info! My gpa from UCLA is actually really low, a little below a 2.7, due to my struggles with pre-med classes. Haven't taken the GMAT yet, but do you think a high score can offset a low gpa? Also, how are you liking the program at San Jose??

Intern
Intern
Schools: ND - Alum, was accepted to WM, Olin.
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: masters program for a life science undergrad?? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 15:55
try UNC. They have only a MS accounting for non accounting majors.

Yes, a good GMAT will overcome the low GPA.

Me - low GPA, decent (not good) GMAT, graduated from top 5 MS accounting program, now at Big 4.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: masters program for a life science undergrad?? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 18:50
UNC looks like a good program for sure. Not sure if the OP is willing to go out of CA though.

I would also agree that a high GMAT (700+) can make up for a low GPA, but if you are really interested in SJ State then it I think it wouldn't hurt to give them a call to get their opinion. Also, they have a few prerequisites you have to take in order to get into the program (these prerequisites can be taken at a community college) and if you get A's in them, then I think it would help offset a lower GPA. Just make sure you don't take any prerequisites more advanced than the ones they require or else they won't admit you.
Intern
Intern

Re: masters program for a life science undergrad?? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 21:34
Awesome, thanks so much for all the input! Schools in CA are my top choices, but I am definitely open to schools out of state, if need be. Will look into UNC though, thanks again!

Re: masters program for a life science undergrad??   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2011, 21:34