Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 00:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA after PhD?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

MBA after PhD? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 21:44
Hi,

1. Basic Demographic info: Male, 31, Indian

2. Educational Background: Currently doing my Phd in Physiology in a US University, GPA= 3.4/4.0

3. Work Experience: Worked in a NGO diagnostic lab for 2 years in India.

4.Extracurriculars: Editor of school magazine, Editor of college magazine, served as Cultural secretary for the Indian association at my current University.

5) Short/Long term goals: I am interested in working in a healthcare/pharmaceutical company and would like to pursue a major in health care management and international business .

These are my concerns
a. by the time I am done with my PhD I will be 33 years old. Most of the B-schools in U.S. have an average of 27/28 years, some being even younger,
b. the only experience I have had is working for 2 years in a small lab back home in India.

Naturally, my concerns are that am I too old for a B-school and is my background a big deterrent. I have considered doing a part-time MBA while working, but if I understand correctly it does not allow you to network as a full time MBA, and networking is very important to land a good job. Also, I am not sure if a part-time MBA carries the same value as a full-time MBA. Another concern is that a part-time MBA may not be a good option for someone like me who is trying to switch into a radically different field. Any thoughts on these?

I have always been a good student and was hoping that if I take finance, economics and advance statistics classes, I can show them that I can adjust to a very different program. I was under the impression that PhD is an independent venture, as it requires planning, co-ordination, and collaboration among different individuals might be able to balance the scale. Do you think asking admissions office of B-schools directly will help?

Any thoughts will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [1] , given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA after PhD? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 06:02
This post received
KUDOS
Post MBA, you'll be 35 with just 2 years of work experience. Sounds dangerous to me! I know PhDs definitely do enter full-time MBA programs, so it might be worth reaching out to some career services staff and asking their perspective. Are there no private sector opportunities for a PhD in Physiology? What about finding a professorship and consulting on the side?

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: MBA after PhD? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 11:40
I know it sounds dangerous and that's why I wanted to ask around and get a feel before I dived in. There are unfortunately no career counselors on campus. I guess the take is, if you do a PhD, you are going to end up walking the beaten path and end up as a Professor. Current budget cuts to NIH, followed by 5% success rate in new grant approval makes things even tougher, so being a professor is not what it used to be. I see post docs and research assistant professors (glorified post docs) vying for an Assistant Professorship for more than 10 years.I really do not want to end up like them. As I was always interested in Healthcare management, I felt that an MBA would be the appropriate step or an MBA/MPH degree for that matter. I am going to look into the private sector after my PhD. Also I did find out that Mckinsey recruits PhD's as consultants. That is something else I am looking into. Anyways, thank you for your input. Coming from a radically different field every insight helps.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA after PhD? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 14:09
Not sure if there was a miscommunication, but I meant career services staffs at MBA and MPH programs, not any career services on your own campus! They might shed some insight into how PhDs are viewed in the recruiting area. I'd suggest Fuqua's staff to start with as they are pretty solid in healthcare management.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: MBA after PhD?   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2012, 14:09